Darby - Another Crazy Surgery Today - HAPPY :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frankenbelly is covered by a sock outfit so that discovery will have to wait as I need to keep it on her as long as possible. They say the surgery was really amazing, and all his staff said with bright shining eyes "Dr. Munn is the Best" LOL (of which I wholeheartedly agree!) The surgery was over an hour, and it was really 2 complete surgeries. The skin between her legs over her chest is a bit tight but should be fine as long as she doesn't open it up.

She is doing much better, she's eaten some mushy lab blocks, and at 8:00 a lot of her coordination came back, her grasping paws and her tongue and her desire to lick me thoroughly :heart:

Just home

May2914Darbypostopinhersock5.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock2.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock6.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock4.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock7.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock.jpg~original

May2914Darbypostopinhersock3.jpg~original

half an hour after this

May2914DArbyeatinginhersock.jpg~original

another half hour and the Tongue makes her appearance...I am always thrilled when a rats normal character comes back after surgery.

May2914Darbytonguepostop2.jpg~original

May2914Darbytonguepostop.jpg~original

Well my heart sank when I saw the new title - that definitely needs to be changed to a happy face!!! I am thrilled she made it through her surgery!
:dance:
Get better quickly Lovey!

Oh my goodness, this is just the best news! My heart sank at first, when I read about the 50/50 chance that she would pull through and by the time I got to the photos of her with her adorable rehabilitation sock outfit on, I was just smiling from ear to ear with relief and such happiness! No one deserves good things more than this precious and beautiful girl....

Our sweet girl pulled through! Thank the ratty gods and Dr. Munn! She is such a strong girl and seeing her eating her lab block mush and looking like she is actually smiling at the camera just made my whole month! Shelagh, you must be on cloud nine that she made it and I bet you want to kiss Dr. Munn too!

This is fabulous! I have also never seen anything as precious as Darby in her adorable sock...she even looks like she has a green scarf on (I know it is part of the sock trim, but it so looks like a scarf, eh?) I bet that sock is making it much more comfy for her too, keeping everything snug and safe inside the sock. I am sure it is comforting for her, like a big, soft bandaid/wrap. :)

WHEW!! So happy about this!! I hope all the well wishes and healing thoughts sent her way helped her to pull through this! Good karma for Miss Darby and what a trooper!! Hurray Darby, you made it, honey!! I send you bouquets of Heal up Soon Flowers, by internet magic....we love you sweet girl!!

:flowers4U: :getwell:

All my best,
Auntie Vlad

Last edited:
I got a pic last night of me helping Darby eat a gerbers baby puff (peach of course!), she wanted to be supported up a bit so she could eat with 2 hands :heart:

May2914helpwitheatingherpuff.jpg~original

She came back for breakfast this morning and is now tucked into her cage with her friend. I just hope Dandelion leaves her sock alone. I got a couple of pics and am uplaoding a short video of her eating. You can tell I am VERY happy to have her alive and back with me. :wink:

May3014Darbyeating.jpg~original

Learning to move around in her restrictive sock outfit

May3014Darbyandhersock.jpg~original

I just read through a few days of backlog on this thread, and my heart sank when you mentioned the issues with her tumor on her chest... but now, I'm all smiles and I am so happy this has a perfect ending (so far!!!) and that you are reunited with your lovely girl!!! :joy:

:holysheep: She is such a cutey!! How long does she have to keep the sock on?

I am planning on taking it off tonight, 1.5 days should be long enough that it will have started healing. I also want it exposed to air for better healing. If there are any issues I will show up at the clinic in the morning ;-)

I am planning on taking it off tonight, 1.5 days should be long enough that it will have started healing. I also want it exposed to air for better healing. If there are any issues I will show up at the clinic in the morning ;-)

:cheering: Yea, we're cheering for her here!!

I came home, called her name and her head popped out of the hammock so quickly! Unfortunately she couldn't get OUT of the hammock, so I went and got the camera, and then got her...removed the sock very carefully, she was awesome and just stood waiting for me to get it off of her...as soon as it was off she turned and just started licking my hands soo much!

May3014Darbysanssock6.jpg~original

May3014Darbysanssock7.jpg~original

Here you can see that her actual hair not shaved off is in the shape of a hoodie marking...she was shaved everywhere else LOL

May3014Darbysanssock8.jpg~original

Then she turned to sniff the sock, astounded that it was really off of her :D

May3014Darbysanssock4.jpg~original

Then she figured out she was itchy ALL over...and went into a bit of a frenzy. I stopped her and then rubbed her fur bits hard, and her skin bits gently, and she just braced herself and loved it.

May3014Darbysanssock2.jpg~original

May3014Darbysanssock.jpg~original

then I attempted to take pics of her incisions...really hard, since there's still a lot of uncleaned off blood and betadine, and the chest/neck incision goes waaaay up, but I used my hands as bait to get her to reach up...hahahahaha

May3014Darbysanssock3.jpg~original

May3014Darbysanssock5.jpg~original

Sure is a licky little girl isn't she! She looks really good! Growing all that fur back will probably be itching and that stretching skin - wonder what color her fur will be... She is so precious and I'm sure incredibly thankful to you!:love7:

Hooray for our sweet girl! I am sure you are so grateful to have Darby back with you and alive and recovering! I agree with Dspch...I am sure that Darby is very very grateful to you, Shelagh, for all you are doing for her. She must feel so good to have those horrible tumors off her and I bet she was very appreciative to have all your help with getting her sock off, helping her to sit up for her Gerber puff, and helping with those pesky post-surgery itches. :love4:

As I suspected, when I sat Marc down to show him all the photos of Darby in her adorable post-op sock (with green "scarf") he just about bawled over the photos and how innocent and sweet Darby looked! We are so happy she pulled through this! What a strong girl you are Darby! We love you! :love6: Keep us posted on how she does!

Back