Darby - Another Crazy Surgery Today - HAPPY :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I had an email forwarded to me last night regarding 2 rats that needed to be rehomed. The girl who had them had the 2 girls dumped on her a year ago by some not-so-nice friends. She's been out of work for awhile so cannot take care of these 2 any longer. I offered to help her find homes but then she told me about the 2nd girl. The older girl with lumps. She described them to me, and then sent me pics...

May2014Darby1.jpg~original

May2014Darby2.jpg~original

Darn :(

So I got them about 2 hours ago, and they are in a box in my bathroom at work. I rigged up a waterbottle after the pics and gave them some highly inappropriate human food that they both LOVED.

Dandelion is the american blue girl who is only about a year old or so. She's healthy but has a slight knock in her lungs.

Darby is about 19 months and has at least 3 tumours and only one of them is "good". She has an inguinal, a very nasty high on her chest tumour and a small round dude under her armpit. The bigger tumours both have what I call a seedling tumour beside it. Her lungs are clear, her coat is rusted but that could be age or diet, she's got big sweet brown eyes and licks everyone in sight. :heart:

here's some bad pics from my cell phone of them hanging out waiting to go home.

btw Darby is booked to see Dr Munn next thursday for possible surgery, but they feel operable, its just that there are so many it will be a long/hard surgery for her and going to be more expensive. She could easily have another year of life so we'll try.

Better view of her lumpies

May2114Darby1.jpg~original

Her big beautiful eyes

May2114Darby2.jpg~original

Dandelion

May2114Dandelion.jpg~original

both ladies

may2114DarbyandDandelion.jpg~original

Last edited:
Well we're home...my worries over them chewing through the box on the way home on public transit did not materialize :)

Here is Darby's good side

May2114Darbysgoodside.jpg~original

And Darby's bad side

May2114Darbysbadside.jpg~original

Then I took a pic and used Paint to show where the tumours are located.

First the original pic

May2114Darbywithtumours.jpg~original

and now the tumour paint pic
May2114DarbywithtumoursinPaint.jpg~original

The inguinal and the nasty chest tumour are stickem-outems off the body, I can get my fingers beneath them which is good. The small round tumour in her other armpit is just a small standard mammary, but all the little tumours around the bigger ones aer going to make it a more difficult surgery. She will need to be out longer than usual to get all the tumours out safely.

The inguinal

May2114Darbywithinguinaltumour.jpg~original

The chest, its looking like its going necrotic under the skin so the sooner its removed the better!

May2114Darbywithchesttumour2.jpg~original

May2114Darbywithchesttumour.jpg~original

and the wee armpit tumour

May2114Darbywitharmpittumour.jpg~original

And now meet Dandelion, the rusting (?) american blue girl, who I was told was about a year but she's definitely over...you'll see why in a moment.

May2114Dandelion2.jpg~original

She has a small armpit tumour growing as well...sigh. Hers is not life-threatening or ending, so she will have to wait.

May2114Dandelion-1.jpg~original

She's shyer than Darby but she's very sweet.

May2114DandelionwithbruxxingDarbybehind.jpg~original

May2114Dandelion3.jpg~original

May2114DarbyandDandelion.jpg~original

Ahhh, your new girls are just beautiful as can be, Shelagh, and I am so thankful they are with you! Keep us posted on how it goes at the vet? I send my love and kisses to your two new sweethearts! :tumkiss:

Look at that pretty face!! She is a doll! Did I see a little pink tongue in that last photo? (who does not love seeing those cute red tongues??)

Look at that pretty face!! She is a doll! Did I see a little pink tongue in that last photo? (who does not love seeing those cute red tongues??)

She's one of those who licks hands...constantly...when held. When she's Out though, she's exploring and the big pink tongue stays in her head LOL

I took 2 more pics to add to the ones I sent Dr Munn last night as a headsup on what to expect with little Darby next Thursday.

One of Darby on her back (the most important view for a surgical vet ;))

May2314Darbyonherback.jpg~original

and how I am able to get my fingers under the inguinal tumour...describing this to people is much harder than showing :)

May2314Darbysinguinaltumour.jpg~original

It is crazy how both tumors are almost identical in shape and sizes... Good luck on removing her "twins" LOL

Back