Commercial eggs and chickens consumption. *crueltywarning*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewi

Warning: The video contains images of chickens suffering.

Please watch this. This video is very sad and simply wrong, but this is the reality of what happens to commercial chicks (both egg laying and meat chickens). Remember that the people in the video working at the plant are treating these animals this way on behalf of all consumers of poultry products. Even if you aren't willing to give up these types of foods, at the very least, if you care about animal welfare, cut down the consumption of chickens and eggs in a significant way.

[youtube:15i9l1bz]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJ--faib7to&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJ--faib7to&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:15i9l1bz]

There should be a warning in the title of this thread.. IMO.

It's very graphic, and probably too graphic for some people.. but i'm not a mod. So it's up to them really, not me.

There's a discussion similar to this topic in my "Vegitarian Thread".
People should got vegan/vegitarian by their own personal choice, not because of videos like this one and "Meet your Meat"

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14172

Another solution is for people to switch to free-range eggs. Or buy from small, local farmers, who also keep their chickens free-range, but then you're supporting local farms which I think is wonderful.

Dewi said:
Remember that the people in the video working at the plant are treating these animals this way on behalf of all consumers of poultry products. Even if you aren't willing to give up these types of foods, at the very least, if you care about animal welfare, cut down the consumption of chickens and eggs in a significant way.

I am sorry but I strongly disagree with that comment. This is not a forum on veganism or vegetarianism so being told that I am responsible to what happens to these poor chicks is extremely insulting.

I do have respect for people who CHOOSE to go vegan or vegetarian (Joaquin Phoenix being a vegan) but it is not up to them to accuse me of cruelty towards animals. I disagree with the way those animals are treated and wish the REAL RESPONSIBLES of these disasters would think about this and find more humane methods to treat these animals.

I think vegans and vegetarians are great people and I am glad that they are trying so hard to help animals. Let's hope that their action will eventually convince the poulty and egg industry to adopt better methods of "producing" our food.

xxchelle, with commercial free range they still kill the male chicks and kill the females once their egg production ceases (at 18 months).

Tarah, going vego/vegan is always a personal choice no matter what motivates a person to get that way. Also many people (like my husband) have made that choice after seeing things like this. I know it offends people, but really this is small compared with the amount of suffering animals like this endure. Besides why does eveything have to be so candy coated? I'm over being all diplomatic and hush-hush about the atrocities that take place all the time in the meat, diary & egg industry. If I put a link to cruelty to dolphins, whales or puppies that would have more tolerated, so why not farm animals? Far enough about the warning, so I've added one to the title of my OP, but it's pretty obvious from my comment in my OP that this is going to be a sad thing, so there is no need to watch the video if likely to be offended or upset.

JS, I realise that this is not a forum on vegetarianism etc, but people discuss all sort of things in this section. You like discussing celebrities, not that it bothers me or anything, but it's an example of the wide variety of things that gets posted here. I beg to differ on who is responsible for this.

Dewi said:
xxchelle, with commercial free range they still kill the male chicks and kill the females once their egg production ceases (at 18 months).

That's why I say local farmers are the best way to go :D They treat their animals as pets, and let them live out their lives.

xxchelle said:
Dewi said:

That's why I say local farmers are the best way to go :D They treat their animals as pets, and let them live out their lives.

Well that's great if they do. That is the ideal way to get out food.

Hi Dewi. I don't have any problem for you to discuss that issue. But what I didn't like is that comment: "Remember that the people in the video working at the plant are treating these animals this way on behalf of all consumers of poultry products."

That implies it is my fault if the industry works that way. Eating meat DOES NOT make me a bad person.

Without a doubt the demand creates the supply. The treatment of anything depends on the consumers. You buy it, they continue doing it.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, I've tried and can't get a grasp of it. I don't like TVP, tofu nor soy, I don't like legumes, beans or nuts either. But I sure have tried it a few times. And I'll keep trying it because the guilt is overwhelming.

If you create the demand by purchasing the product then you are responsible for that product continuing to exist. Beside that bird/cow (or whichever animal) was killed by someone so that another person (the consumer) could later eat it. So those workers killed that animal on behalf of the individual consumer. If you eat meat/eggs then that includes you. Who else are these animals dying for - they're not killing them for fun? Also, if people want cheap meat and eggs, it means that the workers at the chicken place and abattoir have to rush and work quickly to sort through and kill a large number of animals in a short period of time. So as a result there is very limited time to ensure that cruelty and suffering is greatly reduced. That's why the chicks in the video were being scalded and handled so roughly.

This is great for you to go vegan. However, I am asking you to respect my choice without judging me or telling me that I'm a bad person. I hope you will understand that. Nature made me omnivourious, not herbivourious. If I wanted to be vegan, then it would be my own choice, not because some peope are telling me that I'm a bad person for eating the way God has created me. I do not work with threats. Sorry if that sounds rude, but that's my opinion. This is a delicate subject the same way abortion is.

I just want you to know that I am not upset with you at all but just expressing my opinion. Internet is tricky sometimes as we don't see the person talking or hear the tone of voice. :D

I don't think this comment is correct either: "Remember that the people in the video working at the plant are treating these animals this way on behalf of all consumers of poultry products."

As I as well as many others eat organic poultry products from free-rage chickens and hopefully in the near future I will be slaugtering my own for my needs. If I eat organic/free-range meat and eggs then I am not in anyway shape or form contributing to these atrocities just as one who chooses not to eat meat is alson not contributing. It's wise to not use blanket statements like the one above.

Lastly this video was captured by MFA who I believe to be biased (albeit not as bad as PeTA) so the videos they shoot, I cannot be convinced are true. Any animal rights organization that toots vegetarianism and veganism as the only way to reform the industry is not trustworthy representation of what goes on behind closed doors. Just my thoughts.

JS, please understand I never used any phrases saying that anyone who eats meat are bad people. I know there are some vegan/vegos who think that all meat eaters should burn in hell, but they are a rare breed (fortunately) and probably should see a therapist. Jorats eats meat and so do my parents and I certainly don't think they are bad people, in fact I respect these people very much. For the record I don't think you are a bad person. But that video and my comments are provided to help others make the connection between what goes on to get that meat & eggs on the supermarket shelf and ultimately on the dinner table. It's all to easy to shove the idea of these atrocities (which they are) at the back of our minds, making it all seem unreal and very removed. I use to be like that. But now the connection is always there. I see a piece of meat and I instantly feel the magnitude of the situation. These videos had a lot to do with me truly making that connection. Now I'm fully aware of the many animals that endured so much sorrow, pain and horror (and no I am not being melodramatic about this) and I am saddened by the idea of eating them and even more saddened that the majority are so disconnected from what these unfortunate animals go though. So that is what videos like this are all about, to make the situation feel real and to help people feel the gravity and depravity of the commercial meat/fishing/dairy & egg industries and to not just know this intellectually.

Yes it is very tricky judging how people are responding when not talking to them directly. Unfortunately people usually seem angrier than what they probably are.

Jack Sparrow said:
This is great for you to go vegan. However, I am asking you to respect my choice without judging me or telling me that I'm a bad person. I hope you will understand that. Nature made me omnivourious, not herbivourious. If I wanted to be vegan, then it would be my own choice, not because some peope are telling me that I'm a bad person for eating the way God has created me. I do not work with threats. Sorry if that sounds rude, but that's my opinion. This is a delicate subject the same way abortion is.

I just want you to know that I am not upset with you at all but just expressing my opinion. Internet is tricky sometimes as we don't see the person talking or hear the tone of voice. :D

Organic products have to do with not using chemicals which includes antibiotics. It has nothing to do with the welfare of the animals. I don't understand why people equate organic with cruelty free? These are two are very separate and unrelated things. In addition to this, the chicks and adult chickens used on organic farms are initially sorted out in a manner very similar to that shown in the video. If you use commercial organic or free range eggs, the male chicks are still killed and this is done by suffocation, gassing with CO2 or grinding them up whilst alive. In addition to this, once the laying hens have passed their peak egg laying stage (at 18 months of age) they are sent to the abattoir for slaughter.

With organic chicken meat the birds are still slaughtered at the abattoir. Furthermore, don't forget that the transport of these birds (between the chicken breeders, the chicken growers/egg farms and the slaughterhouse) also causes significant suffering. Things like heat stress, suffocation, broken bones and of course liberal amounts of fear. This also applies to all livestock animals (cows, pigs, sheep etc). As mentioned in my previous post, it is the mass production of meat and eggs (whether organic or not) that is a large cause of the suffering.

Do you truly believe that places which are involve in the handling and processing of a large number of "food animals" are really going to be all sweet, caring and sentimental towards these very animals? You see how badly feeder rats are treated just because they are food, the same treatment is extended towards farm animals. Abattoirs, feedlots and poultry farms are notorious for animal cruelty, common sense alone would dictate that. I've met several people who have worked at abattoirs and all have horror stories to tell. For example my best friends father told me about pigs being scalded alive because they weren't killed properly. I've been to cage bird egg farms and have seen the suffering first hand... it's very sad.

So if you buy meat or eggs produced on moderate to large scale commercial farms, regardless of whether the animal is organic/free range, then you are in every shape and form contributing towards these atrocities. Furthermore, if these animals (regardless the size of the farm) eventually get killed in an abattoir then you are also responsible for the atrocities that go on - this also applies to egg laying chickens (free range or not).

sausage4ever said:
I don't think this comment is correct either: "Remember that the people in the video working at the plant are treating these animals this way on behalf of all consumers of poultry products."

As I as well as many others eat organic poultry products from free-rage chickens and hopefully in the near future I will be slaugtering my own for my needs. If I eat organic/free-range meat and eggs then I am not in anyway shape or form contributing to these atrocities just as one who chooses not to eat meat is alson not contributing. It's wise to not use blanket statements like the one above.

Lastly this video was captured by MFA who I believe to be biased (albeit not as bad as PeTA) so the videos they shoot, I cannot be convinced are true. Any animal rights organization that toots vegetarianism and veganism as the only way to reform the industry is not trustworthy representation of what goes on behind closed doors. Just my thoughts.

Jack Sparrow said:
I am sorry but I strongly disagree with that comment. This is not a forum on veganism or vegetarianism so being told that I am responsible to what happens to these poor chicks is extremely insulting.
I wouldn't take it personally Jack, the only ones it's personal for is the critters who have to live the life of the intended-foodsource. I'm not going to be a vegetarian no matter what. But I do owe a debt to any critter that feeds me, and I sure want to know when they are being hurt or tortured cause I owe them bigtime, you know? Just cause I want to eat eggs doesn't mean I want that to happen so I can.
If I feel any guilt PETA or whoever is not putting it on me, they're just making me aware of that one sweet single critter that represents a bunch of them that I do have to answer to if I am the cause (if not the instrument) of their destruction.. I want them to die quickly & gently so I can eat them guilt-free. That's where your beef should be, not with the people who open your eyes to the realities.

I have toyed with the idea of going vegetarian or vegan (not sure if I could do that one). I have never tried though, there are many things I would miss (EGGS!!!!).

Dewi was not trying to insult anyone. The truth is that the more meat/eggs I buy, the more they must produce. They just have to keep up with our growing demand...So I am one of the of those in demand, and I am not happy about (I have no will power) but one day I will definately give vegetarian a try.

Puppy mills are the exact same concept, everytime someone walks into a pet store and buys that cute little puppy in the window...that many more mom dogs have to suffer producing litter after litter in a small cage, and for what? Our wants/demand of the item (yes, I say it that way on purpose because to a pet store, puppies are merchandise)

I don't know how people can work there! Are they that desperate for money!

And also...those things holding the poor babies' heads...is that to kill them?

-gasp- If it is, than if I were older I would SUE!

I know Organic doesn't = cruelty free, part of the reason I mentioned free range but I should mention that in Canada there are welfare standards and regulations that come with certification. However sllaughter houses still exist in Canada and our laws are so bad in Canada that it doesn't allow one to sell me you slaughtered yourself. Slaughtering your own animals for your consumption and "giving" some to you friends/family is one of the best ways of coping with this issue, if vegetarianism is not for you.

Fidget said:
I want them to die quickly & gently so I can eat them guilt-free. That's where your beef should be, not with the people who open your eyes to the realities.

I totally agree with that. Just because I eat meat, eggs, milk etc DOES NOT mean that I agree with the cruelty showed in that video. These things have been happening long before I was born and will continue long after I die. Turning vegan will not change that. It will continue but then I will be able to hide my head in the sand, claim that I don't contribute to such atrocities and blame others for it. But the atrocities will continue no matter what.

What is the proportion of vegan/vegetarians on this planet compared to meat eaters? It is unrealistic to believe that showing these videos and creating bad guilt trip on people will convince the entire population to go vegan/vegetarian.

There are wars in the world. We want it to stop, we hate it but there are wars. There are bad people out there who steal, kill, rape, kidnap children and keep them in dungeons for years. Thousands and thousands of unborn children are killed in the USA every DAY and it is accepted by the vast majority of the population. And I'm not talking about the number of abortions in the rest of the world. Violence is everywhere. Millions of humans are victims of violence every day, not just animals.

I wish we lived in a better world but unfortunately, we don't. We can all do our best to achieve this goal. However, producing such videos and blaming people for those atrocities, telling them it's their fault and that it is done on their behalf is not effective for most people and will not convince them to convert to something they don't want to. I'm one of these people.

As for being responsible for cruelty towards animals, I DON'T THINK SO! I am an animal owner and I treat them better than a lot of people. I feed them the proper food. I heard that some vegans feed their cats and dogs with non animal products which is wrong in my opinion. I give them proper vet care.

It is good to make people aware about what is happening. However, I don't think that being extremist about it will make a difference.

It's the exact same in Australia (where I am), to sell meat commercially it must be killed at an abattoir. It makes no sense to me, and I suspect that perhaps some unions protecting slaughterhouse workers had something to do with it. Why is it that in the UK it is legal to sell meat from animals that have been killed by a certified butcher rather than what it is in Australia where animals are killed by any old fool at a certified slaughterhouse. So in the UK, the butcher can go to the little farms and kill the animals there. Far less traumatic for the animals. Mind you most meat in the UK is from the abattoir. I agree that the most responsible way to get meat is to raise the animal yourself under good conditions and to kill them swiftly causing as little fear and pain as possible. Understandably there will be some pain and fear, but it will be a fraction compared with what happens on a commercial level if done properly.

sausage4ever said:
I know Organic doesn't = cruelty free, part of the reason I mentioned free range but I should mention that in Canada there are welfare standards and regulations that come with certification. However sllaughter houses still exist in Canada and our laws are so bad in Canada that it doesn't allow one to sell me you slaughtered yourself. Slaughtering your own animals for your consumption and "giving" some to you friends/family is one of the best ways of coping with this issue, if vegetarianism is not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back