Chronic Porphyrin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MysticMorgz

Hi Everyone, first thread here!
So I have two male rats (Bernie and Fievel) who are around 9 months old. One morning around 1.5 months ago I noticed some Porphyrin in his right eye and nostril. I took him to the vet, who told me is was most likely an infection in that eye and prescribed antibiotic drops. The Porphyrin cleared up after instilling drops for roughly a week (as directed). Around a week later, it was back. Took him to the vet again who said there were no signs of infection, but there were signs of inflammation. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory drop. Same thing occurred, I gave drops as directed, Porphyrin stopped, quit drops, Porphyrin returned. Vet said it could be an environmental irritant so I switched beddings, purchased a new cage, and moved the rats to a room by themselves (previously they shared a room with my chinchilla). I restarted the anti-inflammatory drops, but have seen little to no improvement. All products used around him are the same as when I first brought him home so I’m at a loss for what could be causing the chronic Porphyrin in that one eye. His brother and cage mate is perfectly healthy and has not had any issues. Any suggestions or helpful comments would be appreciated! TIA.

Love the names! I used to watch An American Tail all the time as a kid.

What type of bedding and caging are you using? I'm not super experienced in chronic porphyrin discharge (I'm posting for basic advice and as a bump to hopefully get experienced members to add their input), but it could be a dust issue, an ammonia issue, etc. I would expect to see higher amounts of porphyrin in older rats (i.e. rats older than 1.5 years old)

As for bedding, I have fleece liners for my cage with litterboxes. I use a dust-free recycled paper cat litter. My boys like to dig in it, but I don't have issues with it. I use a DCN, but not everyone has access to such large cages, but having airy cages can help decrease any sort of build up.

Make sure you aren't using air fresheners, aerosols, etc. around your rats.

Back