Camilla's 15 babies. Day 29 pics pg 24 pics!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, velma, if the solid stripe is the biggest he may just fit in perfect with parker and skidder!!!

These babies are all so so cute!!

Pics are kinda late lol but here they are. Got some really cute ones today! I think the light kids are going to be PEW's. Their fur looks more white today. Also there are 3 light boys with curly whiskers and boy one has Curly whiskers. Then there are 2 light girls with curly whiskers and then all the girls but girl one have either really curly or kinked whiskers. I can't wait to see what their fur will be like!

Jo I know you love feedin pics so here you go!

I missed the yawn but look at the little lip lol

Boys

Boy one- Tamara's boy

Boy two

Light Boys 1 adopted by Tamara

Girls

Girl one

She's the only one with the belly spot!

Girl two

Girl three Barb's

Girl four Jessikah's

Girl five

Light Girls 1 adopted by Barb and 1 adopted by Jessikah

Hi everyone Im new here but I had to comment on this thread.

By the way, well done on the beautiful babies

I was REALLY enjoying this thread until you said you will just let nature do its course with regards to the runt. Thats horrible.. if an adult rat got sick would you just let nature take it course. If you have a chance to save a rat, no matter how young or old you take it. End of.

Your excuse that rats would be better off dead than with someone else is silly, I agree not a BYB but you could find other 'opps' litters or at least try to. Your excuse there are not enough homes... what the hell? Arnt you supost to rescue and save lives? If you cant handle THAT many rats, give the pregnant doe to someone who can care for them properly. With any pregnancy theres always a chance of large litters and weak rats who need extra loving but could one day become strong and healthy because you helped it. Regardless of whether she nips you or not, the babies lives are more important and it wouldnt of took much effort at all for you to give them the best possible start in life.

Did they all make it anyways? :(

woah hun,

different people have different opinions on things, and realistically there are differences in what people choose to do.
Sadly the little runt didnt make it, but that's not necessarily because "not everything possible was done" bearing in mind that I am not the foster family here, but I would suggest that the decision was not for lack of caring or love for the animals but what peoples individual beliefs are (just because people have different beliefs its not fair to accuse that they are not fit to rescue animals or have pets themselves) . People make very different choices based on what they believe in terms of treatments for their animals, and as difficult as it may be at times, peoples' opinions need to be respected (you don't have to agree, and I'm sure you're aware of that - I just didn't want it to come across as I was saying you HAVE to agree with everyones opinions) - thats the beauty of a public fourm right?

I think if you were to look into other posts by these wonderful rat-mammas you would see what good they've done and will continue to do. The remaining 15 babies are all doing well, and are luckily finding adoptive homes :).

Would you have done the same in the situation? Maybe not. Could the runt baby had something wrong with it and despite everyones efforts passed in the end? Maybe.
But please do not jump to conclusions, because, without this home, none of these babies would be alive right now.

Juno had a litter shortly after Camilla, and we lost one of her pups - all had milk bands, everyone looked wonderful to me - I tried to give Juno her space, and within a span of hours, the 12th pup was gone - Juno must have known something was wrong, and made the choice to protect her litter (in the wild a weakened or deceased pup would attract predators). Im not saying that there was no hope for the little runt, or that I would have made the same choice given the circumstances, but there is also a possibility that there was something physiologically wrong with the pup, and despite everyones best efforts they may have still passed in the end.

I know its hard to read about losses of little ones, or any animal for that matter - but please take a look at what else is being done by this loving home before you assume that they are not fit to care for rats...

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

ema-leigh said:
Hi everyone Im new here but I had to comment on this thread.

By the way, well done on the beautiful babies

I was REALLY enjoying this thread until you said you will just let nature do its course with regards to the runt. Thats horrible.. if an adult rat got sick would you just let nature take it course. If you have a chance to save a rat, no matter how young or old you take it. End of.

Your excuse that rats would be better off dead than with someone else is silly, I agree not a BYB but you could find other 'opps' litters or at least try to. Your excuse there are not enough homes... what the hell? Arnt you supost to rescue and save lives? If you cant handle THAT many rats, give the pregnant doe to someone who can care for them properly. With any pregnancy theres always a chance of large litters and weak rats who need extra loving but could one day become strong and healthy because you helped it. Regardless of whether she nips you or not, the babies lives are more important and it wouldnt of took much effort at all for you to give them the best possible start in life.

Did they all make it anyways? :(

I realize you are new to our forum......but I think before you comment you should read things over more carefully......you obviously don't know what you are talking about and are criticizing the very people who are going above and beyond to help this rat and her babies.....

ema-leigh said:
Did they all make it anyways?
The smallest baby died.

Dahlas said:
I realize you are new to our forum......but I think before you comment you should read things over more carefully......you obviously don't know what you are talking about and are criticizing the very people who are going above and beyond to help this rat and her babies.....

People are allowed to express their opinions on this forum.
She does know what she is talking about, but yes, it is good to read entire threads before making comments.
Many people agree with her and it appears that many do not.
As for what was or was not done, all most people have to go on is the info. provided in this thread.

The situation with rescues in this area is the same as in many other areas of the country and personally, I do not see how it influences the care a person will decide to provide or not provide to animals under their care.

Linds, those pics of mom feeding her babies are to die for. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Ema-leigh, I invite you to read more on this forum. It is clear you are ignorant of the difficulties the rats and their humans face in the Maritime.

thanks guys for coming to our rescue.. we love you ..... <big hugs>

i appreciate your opinion on this... tho it did come off a bit harsh considering you are new here and really dont know the whole situation.. i do see where you are coming from and appreciate your care of rats and wanting to defend them.. but please know this, we do everything what we can for all rats in our care.. unfortunately some things are up to mother nature despite our best efforts. Although lil runty didnt make it.. the rest of the babies are doing great (even one other that we really werent sure would make it) . Unfortunately we dont know the complete genetics of mom or dad , so we really have no idea what health problems that may arise, but we really feel mom knew something we didnt. if we noticed camilla was neglecting her litter we would have stepped in, but she is a very tentative mom and we believe she knows what shes doing.
anyway. welcome to the forum.

more pics on the way soon. :joy:

So day 12 pics are kinda late. I wasn't feel good at all yesterday and still kinda feel like crap today. It's really cool we have rex babies!!!!!!!!!!!! You can really see the difference in the fur from the rex ones to the regular fur. So neat!
We'll get day 13 pics later. I'm hoping to see some open eyes! The last litter we raised had some of their eyes open on the 13th day and then all of their eyes were open on the 14th day!. It's going to be kinda funny watching all these tiny little babies run around. poor Camilla will need lots of away time lol

Boys

Two black hooded boys

Boy one adopted

Boy two

Light Boys (one adopted)

One rex one regular

Huge size difference between these brothers

Three rex brothers

Girls

Light Girls (2 adopted)

One rex one regular

Girl one