Badger - Intros In Progress - WE CAN PICK HIM UP NOW!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratty Momma said:
IMG_5870.jpg
I really like this picture - he does look very relaxed and content.

Nominate for RPOM!

Joanne said:
Ratty Momma said:
I really like this picture - he does look very relaxed and content.

Nominate for RPOM!

This has to be my favorite! ..he is getting better, he is currently running around on the couch with me sitting here ..I still cannot pick him up, but he gets out of the cage from hopping onto my shoulder.

I don't think intros will be starting as soon as Monday ..he still hates hands ..he will come out of the cage if I put my shoulder by his door, he will hop right on ..he comes on the couch with me, I'll sit with him ..he will run all around, jump on my shoulders, etc ..but as soon as he sees hands ..even if they are not moving ..he will bite them. We even put a glove on the couch (hand shape) ..and every time he would walk by he would bite it. He takes treats nice, but if you try to pet him down, he turns sideways and gets puffy and tense. I forgot to mention, since the neuter he has been SO hyper ..he comes out and he runs back and forth on the couch like he is crazy!

How do I get him to trust hands? (he was fine with Dr. D. ..he was able to pick him up, and kiss his nose and everything)

So just keep doing what I'm doing? and hope for the best, haha!

Poor Ryder looks so sad living alone ..I wish Badger would get over this!

Ryder is out 24/7 ..happy as a champ when out ..but when he goes in he gives me that sad face :(

I wouldn't delay intros due to Badger's stress toward hands.
With a rat like Badger, you may never be able to pet his romp. And when you pick him up, scoop him with both hands.
Keep giving him treats so he can relate your hand to rewards.

jorats said:
I wouldn't delay intros due to Badger's stress toward hands.
With a rat like Badger, you may never be able to pet his romp. And when you pick him up, scoop him with both hands.
Keep giving him treats so he can relate your hand to rewards.

When do you suggest that I start? Badger was neutered on Monday past!

I'll keep letting him come out of his cage onto my shoulder, I'll continue giving treats, I'll continue to sit on the couch with him (keeping my hands out of his way) and I'll continue to pet his head (which he has no problem with).

This is so fustrating :(

I hate that Ryders so loney and that I can't handle Badger ..this is all so new to me!

I would think that as soon as Badger's surgery site starts looking like it's healing you should be OK to start neutral intros. Just because he's hinky with human hands doesn't mean he's going to beat his brother up. However, I would be ready to break up anything if necessary...

Badger is getting better, still trying to bite, but not enough to hurt ..every time he dose I squeak!

Got some cute shots today :)

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

Back