Bad or good idea?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm I will have to try the bedding idea the bathtub is okay hopefully will look better tomorrow bobo just makes me nervous because of his size but I feel bad because I know he is super lonely I give him as much as I can but I can't be another rat so I. Really want this to work out :/

Ace8670 said:
Hmm I will have to try the bedding idea the bathtub is okay hopefully will look better tomorrow bobo just makes me nervous because of his size but I feel bad because I know he is super lonely I give him as much as I can but I can't be another rat so I. Really want this to work out :/

I don't know a crap ton about introductions, but I know enough to say that your ratties look like they will do just fine. Even though Bobo seemed to get a little annoyed at the end, he was still being really sweet and patient for the majority of the time. It's normal for them to fight a little, they need to figure out who gets to be the big boss. It looks like the lighter colored of your two babies isn't going to attempt to be a boss of any sort lol, he seemed real submissive.

[glow=red:2gepdoh3]JORATS[/glow:2gepdoh3] Curley :heart: 's Al he marks him every chance he gets - Al calls him "piddle boy" and he will just sit on his head - if it wasn't for his eyes (and the fact that he moves) at times you wouldn't notice him! So they just have a language between the two of them apparently - kind of makes me sad... :sad3:

So last night I didn't do the bedding since today is their cage cleaning day but I did take one of their blanket from Marco and Ziggys cage and put it in Bobos and when I checked on him this morning he was curled up on their blanket sleeping on it but he was all puffed up is this a good or bad sign?

I'm going to comment on the video and fight.

Bobo was definitely feeling more alpha-ish. You can tell right away by how the babies were acting. They were on guard. On alert with him. He wasn't aggressive but he's being a bully which is ok. He's teaching them that he's the top banana and they better respect him. The fights, yes, I would break that up but I would not end the intros on a bad note. Break up the fights and then give them a yummy treat, like super yummy even if it's junk food, you should end the intro on a good note so that they relate being together as a good thing.

I've said before I don't know much on intros either, but my boys did that too when I got them and they are all from the same pack. I brought the daddy (Curley) and two of his babies home, about 3 days later I brought home another of his babies (GMC - who has always been the smallest) and they did that to him, then about 2-3 weeks later I brought home Finn (another of his sons) and just put him in with them and they did the same just not as much cause he's a bigger dude....
I think he's just saying "Hey little dudes you can be here, but I'm boss"

Okay here is today's intro it's only Bobo and Marco I kept Ziggy out of it due to his foot. Bobo was a lot better today it seems I stuck some peanuts and frozen peas in there too tho honestly neither of them seemed interested in treats I did alil longer then 10 minutes due it was going so well but I cut it off at 15 cause I didn't want to push my luck. Also side note that chirping squeak noise was Bobo my vet said it was a normal rat sound if it isn't please let me know. He is the first rat I've ever had do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCDJU20nVEU

Bobo is so sweet. They did really great. Seriously, the bathroom intros between my two girls did not go as smoothly as yours, and they are best friends now.

Also, I couldn't hear the squeak chirp thing you were talking about, but my older girl makes a cute little chirping noise when her little sister is grooming her or when I scratch behind her ears juuuust right.

Yeah I think today went real well now they are both laying on against the cage next to each other on the same levels through the cages that's gotta be a good sign I will do the intro longer tomorrow I got some baby food to work with them too :)

GrayLightNewDay said:
Aww, I was watching more of the video Intro 2, and at around the 4:15 mark it is absolutely adorable. The big guy is suddenly in the middle of the two babies, and he puts his dead down all sweet and cute towards one of the littles like he wants to be groomed! That is a good sign. When I saw my Navi doing that I knew that they would be able to bond.
Actually, when rats put their head down wanting to be groomed, that's a dominant move. :wink2:

Ace8670 said:
Okay here is today's intro it's only Bobo and Marco I kept Ziggy out of it due to his foot. Bobo was a lot better today it seems I stuck some peanuts and frozen peas in there too tho honestly neither of them seemed interested in treats I did alil longer then 10 minutes due it was going so well but I cut it off at 15 cause I didn't want to push my luck. Also side note that chirping squeak noise was Bobo my vet said it was a normal rat sound if it isn't please let me know. He is the first rat I've ever had do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCDJU20nVEU

Marco is really worried about Bobo. Bobo must be sending out "I'm the boss" signals. But he did very well.
BTW, rats are not suppose to make noises, not chirping noises. If he does it a lot or it becomes louder, you'll need to get his lungs checked and I strongly suggest you call around to see if you have any vets who know about rats in your area. :D

Saying they know and actually knowing are two different things what sorta questions is good to ask? When I call I've actually pulled together a list of the exotic pet vets in my area most of them specialize in reptiles so I crossed them out the rest on their info just says will see any small animal

Exotic vets for reptiles are sometimes really good for rats. My vet was primarily for birds, then reptiles and now rats.
You will know you have a good vet if in the office visit, you watch the vet do a full exam and looks very comfortable with the rat.

Yeah the vet I have now wont even let me watch it makes me very nervous he takes whoever I bring in to the back and says I will be back in a few I've never had a vet do that before

Ace8670 said:
Yeah the vet I have now wont even let me watch it makes me very nervous he takes whoever I bring in to the back and says I will be back in a few I've never had a vet do that before
Oh... I wouldn't like that at all either.

Okay did today's intro it's was alil weird I stuck some baby food strawberries and bananas in there grab a couple of toys from the play area washed them both first and I stuck in the the left over fleece from me making their hammocks maybe I did something wrong idk today was alil weird Marco kept humping Bobo it's also to vids I went to move my finger out of the way of the camera and accidentally hit the stop recording so there is like a two second break between the vid did it for only about ten minutes it went alil short because of the fighting I broke it up and gave them some just bananas when I put them back in their cages. It's still just Marco and Bobo today due to Ziggys foot

First part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB_1Sb-ezeo
Second part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cn6-8z-Y1I

LOL!
Oh Marco, you are just asking for it aren't you. Marco is really lucky that Bobo is such a good guy. Marco must be feeling much better around Bobo to be trying his hand at dominating. He's not going to win with that big strapping manrat Bobo. But it's good that it's pretty much mild interactions. The food is a very good distraction. Keep up the good work!

Yeah I thought Bobo was being very patient with Marco. Glad to know the humping was normal. I let bobo push him around alil figured if Marco was gonna ask for then he needed to be taught a lesson. But towards the end I thought it was going to far. One thing I love about Bobo is as soon as I touch his back he stops immediately and turns around stands on his hind legs like "pick me up now!" I know I should be careful but I have complete faith Bobo won't bite me. He is too gentle of a rat and if he does I got rubbing alcohol :p but he got grumpy after today's intro after I put him in the cage he was all like leave me alone. He may be mad at me now but if the can all get along in the end I'm sure he'll be a lot happier :dance:

Okay today's Intro it's alil short due to one I need to leave for work but wanted to make sure they got at least sometime together and Marco kept jumping out of the bathtub he learned how high he could jump yesterday :wallbang: so now he is jumping up on everything left Ziggy out still to his foot but its doing a lot better :) he will be joining tomorrow I put smashed peas baby food I don't think they cared for it much i will have to go back to the veggie mix Also Marco was back on guard today :/ but here today's video I kept putting Marco back in the bathtub idk if that was good or bad idea tell me whatcha think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbApVSKTh2Q
Ps. Sorry it's so shaky

Back