apt management comp. doesn't like rats - I'm moved, sort of

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving the cages into my bedroom ... gonna be quite cramped with all those FNs ....
Then will address the issue with the landlord.
Perhaps if all except two are out of sight ...

Good luck Holly. When I lived in a condo with my mom a few years ago they found out that I had pet rats and I was given 30 days to have them removed. I had a letter from Christina to send to them, as well as a note from my vet, and they still didn't give a crap. My mom called the tenancy board to ask them about the rules because our landlord knew I had them and allowed them in the unit, but the condo itself was run by a board of directors and unfortunately they are allowed to make their own rules. They allowed cats and small dogs in the building but they could say no to rats because they are "vermin".

...Eventually they made people get rid of their dogs too... which caused them to lose more tenants.

Luckily I was able to move back in with my dad so I didn't have to get rid of the rats... but it sucked so bad. I lived there for 0 months before anyone knew they were there... and nobody died because of it.

I hope you can fight it, but if the building has a no pets clause, your chances might be slim. :(

I only ever told my landlord, and they still believe it, that i have ONE caged Rat.. not two. When my boys used to be in seperate cages we used to keep one upstairs out of sight. We also used to hide our parakeet at a friends house whenever our last landlord was due to come over. The bird got put into his pet carrier and shipped round the corner, and we used to hide the cage in the shed at the end of the garden. In England they have to give atleast 24 hours notice before they come over so they can make sure someones home - lots of time to hide animals imo lol.

Although, all 5 of us (me, my boyfriend, 2 rats and the parakeet) moved back to my mums a few weeks ago after a robbery - so no more hiding animals for a long time hopefully (i hate renting)

So, did he give you three months to get out? Or are you still in the process of this whole thing?

Maybe your out of sight, out of mind tactic might work. Really the landlord isn't going to go into your bedroom.

I wonder how it came about in Ontario for the discrimination law to take place? I wonder if you can fight it and use the basis of the Ontario law as part of the argument... it might be something for law students to look into if you know any at your Uni.

I'm still in the process ... of rearranging the apartment ...
I am sure I can effectively defeat the no pets since I have a note plus they have caused no damange and no problems with the other tennants.
But if he really wants them out, he can give me the 3 months notice ... which is what I am expecting to happen. :(

Well if he can give you a 3 month eviction notice with no fault of yours needed, then fighting it really has nothing to do with the kids does it? Whatever his motivation doesn't matter if he doesn't have to have grounds.
So is it up to pleasing your landlord so he doesn't attempt to evict you to evict them? Is he ok with you staying if you get rid of them?
If so could you ask him to come up and meet them? Have a really good Starbucks coffee waiting for him?
I dunno, I live in fear of this, I guess most of us do. I wish I could think of something helpful.

Well, the couple that manages the building just dropped by.
I told them that I now have fewer rats then I did ... the letter from their supervisor said I had to rehome them as soon as I could ... so ... as they age, the ratties are slowly being rehomed to heaven as medical care and meds can only do so much :sad3:

Anyway, they said they would pass on my message that I have fewer then I did a month or two ago, and that I am planning on moving back to NB this summer

They seem to feel that if I don't either move or rehome the ratties asap, I will be given a 3 month notice to move out - in NS, landlords can give 3 months notice to tenants without cause.

For what it is worth, they also said that I have been a model tenant.
After all, I'm quiet, polite, get along with everyone, pay my rent on time, haven't caused any damanage (neither have the ratties), etc.

So ……. Still looking for very, very inexpensive accommodations in Fredericton, NB or Saint John, NB where pets are allowed.

that is crazy Holly im so sorry :( that just stinks! i wish they can not do this to people who care properly for the pets in question. i can understand if the pets are ruining the apt or making a bad smell.

Well, I hope that when you're gone the apartment ends up in the hands of some psycho head bangers who blast music late into the night and trash everything in site. They might have a better opinion of rat owners then.....

The onsite managers are fine with me and the ratties ... consider me to be a good tenant.

It is their boss, who picks up the rent checks from them, who has the problem ... head bangers wouldn't bother him as he doesn't live here ...

That's a lame tenants act. Sounds more like a landlord's act. I think the rest of Canada should follow Ontario's lead on this. We are very lucky that our landlord knows we have rats and is ok with it. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

So to all those who think that breeding rats for fun is a-ok ("I'll find them homes") there's another reason why you should find another interest. This is the part you don't see - what happens when they leave you to homes you think are good. The collateral damage to the humans who end up rescuing all the unwanted ones -most of which started out at a breeder's or pet store and were wanted when someone put their $5 or $10 down, til the novelty wore off or the kid got nasty or indifferent to the human cause they spent too much time in a little cell of a cage with the human not having a real relationship with them.

Fact is, there are more ratkids than good homes. They're cheap & easy to get, to most people they're like bic lighters, if it doesn't perform to your satisfaction just toss it and get another. Often they can be fixed - emotional trouble with patience, physical trouble with meds, but why bother? Who'd replace the flint on a bic rather than toss it? The rescuers - like SQ.

Saying "they aren't easy to find in my area" only means Thank God the problem might be under control in that small space, cause it's not everywhere. And still the kids you sell for $5 or $10 aren't likely to ever see a vet even once for a $40 exam.

Anyone who comes here will hopefully learn better, hopefully understand (unlike a post I saw recently) that people aren't really criticizing you, they're begging for the sake of the kids.

If rats aren't easy to get there it'll just up their value in people's eyes, if you want a pet you'll find here that there are people who are willing & waning to help get a kid to a good home - even forming a rat-train has happened. Some people have actually risked their lives going out in the dead of a winter storm to rescue a kid who might not be able to wait for the storm to blow over, and they might do it in a summer coat cause their winter coat fund went to the vet for a kid in an emergency.
Nobody asks that of much of you for sure, and nobody judges you for putting yourself first before rats - We just ask that you don't breed, because whether you see too-plentiful kids suffering in filth & neglect & physical agony or not doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Landing in a rescue is not even the real ending to most breeder adoptions, let alone the happily-ever-after you hope for all of them since you really do care, unless you keep track of the adoptions. This is what happens to one out of a hundred lucky kids, to end up with SQ or someone like her. Most end up dying in pain/and or misery and nobody ever sees it - especially not the person who you thought would love them like you did, as they ignore them when they pass by that small dirty cage every day.
Some people will go without to give these little hearts&souls the best we can. On this site you could almost get the idea we all would, because there are so many that do. There are so few actually, its just that those who care for them so much congregate here. Nobody means to criticize you as a person. Only begging that you see that there is a problem with so many being so unvalued and suffering such horrible lives and such horrible deaths. And if you do care - please, there's always a better way to make money than causing suffering, and breeding to make pretty babies (I wish those people could see pictures of those babies a year later when they are starving, dehydrated, eaten up with mites, struggling to breathe). And to better the genetic lines? That's not a thing you do with 2 new kids, you need to know the total health histories of many generations back for both kids. You just can't possibly get back any emotional or monetary satisfaction that can make the suffering of even one of those babies something you want to have to account for at the pearly gates one day. "I didn't know" - or "I meant well" won't cut it. It's your responsibility to know if you have a hand in creating a life.
Remembering that rescue people can't keep them all cause there are too many, and will try to help you transport to your area to give that precious kid a life - Can't you see what people are going thru because someone thinks nothing of breeding a litter?

If you can't imagine 'your' kids going home with someone who seems nice & caring but that kid ends up on Craigslist as pet or snakefood a year later.. Think of SQ. Where did all those kids come from?And now where is she and those kids going??? She didn't do anything wrong. She didn't even go out and seek those kids from a petstore or breeder. She just took the ones that would be dead if she hadn't. And now she has too many.

Sorry SQ, it's always about the kids and never about you, right? I shouldn't have sidetracked your very real concerns here but I'm trusting you'll forgive me since it about the kids... I wouldn't have gone off so much except that it just kills me that you who have given so many kids a home and comfort & safety should ever have your own nest shaken. I've said before and will say again, all I can offer is most fervent hopes & prayers. And total respect & admiration. I've seen little miracles, you are responsible for many of them, I'm hoping that someone will see this and say "Hey, I love that kid! I've been seeing her posts and no picture needed she's got my heart, and I want to give her a forever home where she feels loved & comfortable and never has to worry about a thing for the rest of her life". I think you've got less chance than a rattie of that, lol, but you are more deserving of it than any critter you ever gave it to. This is just awful, I hope that you let us know right away when you find something, and when you move hook up your computer first thing and let us know you & the kids are ok?

Well, received another letter saying I am in violation of the lease because I have pets without written permission and if they are not gone by the end of the month I will receive a notice to vacate. This .... person ... has not bothered to actually speak with me ... he just gives the onsite managers letters to hand to me :doh: This is the second one they have delivered.

So I guess I will have to write back and tell him that I am not in violation of the lease as I was given written permission to have small cage pets when I signed the lease .... was hoping not to have to do that as don't want to cause any bad feeling with the onsite building managers who gave me the written permission. They are great people, do a good job, and make this building a good place to live.

Then I will likely be given 3 months without reason, to vacate (hopefully). As landlords can do that here.
So, still not sure what city I will be living in but have started to pack and to downsize my stuff ...
My mother sold the house I grew up in and maintained an apartment in, last summer ... had to hire a truck to transport all my stuff here ... I have a lot of stuff
Surprisingly, a lot of my stuff is rat cages, rat toys, etc. ... you get the idea :laugh4:

I hate moving :( and I don't like change much either :(

Oh that's no good. I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible. Will the rats affect you finding another home? I wish landlords were more understanding, they do over react.

Sadly, only in Ontario there is a discrimination law for pets. I think SQ is going to have a lot of trouble again, like she did the first time. :(

Back