apt management comp. doesn't like rats - I'm moved, sort of

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Holly, I am so sorry to hear you are having this knd of trouble. Everywhere I go I find there are more rat haters than lovers. It seems your landlord is one of those. Unfortunately the NS laws do not really make allowances for monto to month leases. The choice to not renew a lease by a landlord was supposed to be for yearly leases, but unfortunately it is a loophole for the month to month renters. And that he is willing to be that nasty is terrible. I am so sorry, you are being given such a hard time.

Maybe Ontario is a place you (Holly) should consider moving to??? Okay I have no idea how much it costs to live there and that sort of thing.

Well, it took me over 3 months to find this apartment, so I'm not looking forward to trying to find another one, especially one in another provience

think I will be moving home to NB as I have applied for a couple of courses there,
most of my family lives there, and two of my nephews are very ill.
My 20 year old nephew was just diagnoised with cancer - he had his first chemo treatment last week, and an ultra sound recently revealed that his younger brother has a large hole in his heart.

I notice that in kijiji ads, many places say "pets but no dogs" or else that "cats are ok" ..... I need 34 little cat disguises for ratties :laugh4:
When I was in NB a few weeks ago I looked at a couple of apartments ... they were dives :( and the rent they were asking was a nightmare.

Hey I did some reading up about it. If you signed a lease before that you were allowed small caged pets then they cannot enforce it even in the lease expired it is still valid because it shows the landlord allowed smalle caged pets at one time so she cannot change it. The only thing is if you ever signed a lease staing no pets period they can enforce it..heres what it says

May a landlord refuse to rent to a tenant who has pets or smokes?

"Nova Scotia's tenancy legislation allows a landlord to establish reasonable rules that promote the fair distribution of services; promote the safety, comfort or welfare of tenants; or protect the landlord's property. A landlord's right to do this is established by Section 9A of the Residential Tenancies Act. Examples of rules that can be established include rules around the operation of laundry facilities, storage of hazardous materials and pets.

Rules must apply to all tenants in a fair manner and tenants must be given a copy of the rules prior to signing a lease. As well, changes in a landlord's rules can be made with four months notice to the tenant prior to the anniversary date of the lease. This allows the tenant enough time to give the landlord notice that the lease will not be renewed if the tenant does not agree with any new or amended rule.

In short, the landlord, if they meet the above requirements, can indeed restrict pets and smoking.

If a no pets and no smoking clause is written into a lease and the landlord discovers that the tenant has a pet and/or smokes in the rental unit, is this grounds for the landlord to evict the tenant?

If a no pets or no smoking clause is written into the lease, the landlord has the right to seek termination of tenancy if the tenant contravenes the lease."

Pulled right from the website http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/y ... sh_007.cfm. I think the only way she can evict you after you signing that lease and it expiring is if she can prove your pets are causing damage. If you had no complaints in the future you should be fine...I personally told mine to screw off..but Im in Ontario and here our legislation makes it illegal to deny renters with pets unless they have a valid reason meaning the pet is causing too much noise or damage.

Good Luck

Since I can be evicted without cause at the end of August, I submitted a short letter in April saying I was moving and would be out by the end of August at the latest. Otherwise I would have recieved an eviction notice at the end of April because the man was not aware I had written permission from his employees to have my rats living in my apartment.
Submitted a one month notice to them yesterday ... very stressful because no place to live yet.
Moving back to NB and finding it very difficult to try to find an inexpensive place to live with 34 rats, when I'm in another province.

Thanks Mumsyrat.
Last night I recieved notice that my one months notice has been accepted ... so less then 4 weeks to pack, find a place to live in NB, move and clean this place, steam clean the carpets, wash the windows etc. It is quite frightening ...

June12Jubileehelpingmepack.jpg

...................... Jubilee inspecting a small box

June12stillroomforafewmorethingsint.jpg

......... still room for a few more things in this box

In light of a public attack by Clark,
after I accidentally made a post I had intended to send as an email :doh: ........
(refered to him as a hoarder, see why: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4566 )

I would like to mention that the management company wants my pets gone because they are rats. Not because of the number of rats nor because of the care they receive nor the condition of the apartment. I am not being kicked out. I gave notice because the management company does not want pet rats in the building and I know that the law in NS gives them the right to give people 3 months notice without cause.

I am also moving home for school, because of health problems among my family members (my 20 year old nephew has been diagnosed with 3rd stage cancer), and to be closer to my favourite vet as most of my ratties are close to two years or older. My youngest nephew is very excited because now I will be able to go watch him play soccer.

The onsite superintendents have been in and out of my apartment many times over the almost two years I have lived here and have no problem with the rats, their care, the condition of the apartment, etc. Neither myself nor the rats have caused any problems, damage or bothered any other tenants in the building. As a matter of fact, they are supplying me with a good reference.

Totally moved to NB .....
but new apartment is getting cig. smoke from other apartments :sad3: and I am very allergic :(
so I'm having allergic reactions ..... rash, been itching everywhere for several days, etc.
and now I think this apartment has a bit of a flea problem .... fleas really, really like me (being popular with the wrong crowd isn't fun!)
... and I feel like I'm being bitten at night ....

So now I need to weigh 34 rats and apply revolution so fleas don't bother them too

I need a new place to live asap :cry4:

Back