apt management comp. doesn't like rats - I'm moved, sort of

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Was just given notice to get rid of my rats .....
this is a no pets building but everyone has pets and I had them put that I could have small cage pets on my lease so I don't think they can enforce it ....

But they can make my life difficult.
Need to call a rental advocate or someone tomorrow, I guess ... and find out what my rights are ...
I have been here for 16 months and no complaints that I am aware of about my pets from others.
But I am on a month to month lease so .... don't know if that makes a difference.

So many be looking for a good home for a middle aged woman (me) and her 35 ratties ...

What the heck is with people being so against rats?!? I am so sorry to hear this but by the sounds of it if it is in your lease then there is nothing they can do *fingers and tails crossed here for you*

Aw. I'm sorry SQ. Fight them. Some people are so stoopid. It's not like your rats bark or annoy anyone.

Linda said:
What?!?! How did they find out? This is terrible news! I'm so sorry!

The onsite managers and other tennants have known I have rats for well over a year (but not how many), but the man who manages the buildings came into my apartment to check out the mold problem in my bathroom yesterday ... guess he wasn't aware I have pet rats or the number ... 4 FNS plus a martins play pen do look like alot .....

This really blows. Maybe you can invite the manager to see that the rats cause absolutely no damage, there's no smell and no noise, maybe they will reconsider. :(

Hey

See if your local Legal Aid office can also help. You might be able to get a certificate to get a lawyer though most rental tribunals you can go through without a lawyer. Additionally, some of the student law societies at Dalhousie might be able to help you.

Good luck!! I'm really sorry this is happening :(

You need to do some careful research about your rights as a tenant in Nova Scotia and you also need to check the local by-laws. A few years ago my daughter's landlord found out about her rats and tried to evict her. When she appealed her eviction the landlord declared war and called the by-law dept. and the Humane Society. Both sent officers to inspect her apartment and the pets. The By-Law people said there was no by-law preventing her from having so many pets and the Humane Society certified that the animals were clean and well cared for. (They didn't get to find out about her prarie dogs, they got sent to Grandma's house for a visit. :giggle: ) Anyways, it ended up at a hearing at the Housing Tribunal and my daughter won. They declared that the landlord had no grounds for eviction. They also ordered the landlord to stop harrassing her (they had been coming in to do an "inspection" practically on a weekly basis) and made them pay her costs, including lost wages for the day.

Fortunately for tenants in Ontario, we are protected by law to be allowed to have pets.

I certainly hope you succeed in you fight SQ!! :boxing:

The apartment building has a no pets clause ... but I have something in writing from the house manager saying I could havbe small cage pets ... got it before I would sign the leaseabout 16 months ago.
But according to the tennants act, I can be evicted without any reason with 3 months notice ...

:( That...sucks. Will they give you the full 3 months then? Maybe you can get them to help you find a new place, otherwise you'll cause a ruckus? I mean you do have that piece of writing - it's gotta count for something.

Oh god, this is Awful!!!
You are such a lifeline for the kids! Don't think I don't care about you too, I surely do, I just think if worst comes to worst you have to give up the kids or move. I know you will be able to stay. So I'm worried about the kids and your life coming to an end as you know it and love it.
Believe me, I live in terror of this very thing and my heart is so concerned for you.
You need to call your landlord/tenant place (don't know what it's called there) and give them your paperwork about the kid's agreement.If it's anything like here they want repeated meetings and lots of paperwork but you really can speak up and tell them exactly what you want from the landlord (he's not the one in control here :D )
You can suggest that he implement a new policy but it has no bearing on existing contracts.
O gad, I'm so sorry you have this kind of unfair crap to deal with when you no doubt have a kids that need you more than a tribunal room at any point.
I know you're gonna win this one!

That just sucks Holly. Do you have a plan if they do evict you? Is it possible to find another rental that allows you to keep the rats? Please Keep us updated and best of luck!

Linda said:
SQ said:
But according to the tennants act, I can be evicted without any reason with 3 months notice ...

You can be evicted without reason?! What?! What about the rights of tenants?!

I believe that they phrase it that the landlord can decide not to renew the lease for any reason the landlord wants. Since I switched to a month to month lease in Sept., in case I needed to leave after I finished my course, this applies to me.

Double checked with online law students who provide a service re. tennants rights at Dal. univ. here in Halifax. Unfortunately, my landlord can give me 3 months notice to move for any reason he chooses.
But they would have to go before a tribunal for a hearing before being allowed to demand my pets vacate the apartment.

Back