About the rat shack forum. Please read

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops! Sorry, forgot to reply.

March 16th or 17th Sounds like a great idea for get together. And maybe do a big St Paddy's day photo contest. Nic, I'm sure can whip up a hammock for the winner.:) And maybe we can get into chat the evening of the 16th.

Maybe this will inspire me to get out my old St Paddy's props, which I haven't used since I had Corrie's daughters. I have a few green hammocks, although I've never bought any with St Paddy themes... How can that be?? My reputation as a hammockaholic is now in question.

Don't leave me forum! Without you my babies could have possibly died... now they're healthy and happy, all thanks to this forum! We can't shut it down!

Ok. Is there any way we can announce this plan to all our members, by an "email-all" list or something?

Also, are there like special rules for starting a raffle? x)

Aida said:
Ok. Is there any way we can announce this plan to all our members, by an "email-all" list or something?

Also, are there like special rules for starting a raffle? x)

I don't think there are rules for starting a raffle. We've never encountered any issues before.
I've never done a mass mailing. But with the amount of members, most inactive, it might be too much of a load to send. I'll have to ask Kevin about that.

jorats said:
I've never done a mass mailing. But with the amount of members, most inactive, it might be too much of a load to send. I'll have to ask Kevin about that.

We have the ability to do a mass-mailing, but I would be very hesitant to do it. A mass-mailing would mean sending out thousands of unsolicited e-mails, i.e. spam, to people - some of whom haven't been active on the forum in years. This could have negative repercussions for the forum, beyond the load on the server, so I would advise against doing it.

crumbilina said:
I've actually wondered this for a while... but can you delete the inactive users? How much space/memory/whatever do all those inactive users take up?

We can delete inactive users, but as we have no way of knowing whether an inactive user will return to the forum at some point, we have opted to leave all registered/legitimate accounts intact.

The amount of resources used by the majority of these inactive accounts is probably quite insignificant. :D

I want to congratulate everyone for making such a huge effort. This is the old forum I remember.
It's wonderful to see people posting and replying like a real caring community.

Just chiming in to say I feel the same about so many things said here already. I don't know WHAT would have happened to my beautiful, beloved ratties if I hadn't found this forum! I got all sorts of support when my babies were ill, needed surgery, finding a vet in town who could treat rats, meeting others in town who were members too... and then there were the non-rattie threads.. like weight loss and times I just wanted to blow off some steam!

I have always been a nervous nelly when the lives of others are seemingly in my hands.. I just don't know how I'd have done it, or do it again without this great community support from the rat shack forum.

I've been on and off these days, since I am presently rat-less.. but I will be on more again, and post pictures of the ratties that do come and go in my life.. as well as the other amazing creatures (like the baby cow at my daughter's farm -- she's a pet, and her name is Angel).

KMG365 said:
crumbilina said:
I've actually wondered this for a while... but can you delete the inactive users? How much space/memory/whatever do all those inactive users take up?

We can delete inactive users, but as we have no way of knowing whether an inactive user will return to the forum at some point, we have opted to leave all registered/legitimate accounts intact.

The amount of resources used by the majority of these inactive accounts is probably quite insignificant. :D

Ah, I see, that makes sense.

Thanks for answering :)

I'm awful at coming up with ways to better social network, but facebook definitely isn't the answer! Lots of people are morally opposed to Facebook, or like me, just unwilling to connect with others to that intensity.

I deeply hope that someone in this rat community knows a little something about this field and knows how to rejuvenate the board. Perhaps RatShack could open up a tumblr that posts our favorite pictures, or someone can do a weekly comic or something - something that brings people to the site from everywhere, regularly!

There are definitely answers beyond 'forums are a dead media'. Without forums like this, I wouldn't be the same kind of rat owner at all. When my rat is choking, and I'm in a panicked mindset, these forums with all the lovely crazy rat people are exactly where I turn. I know I can get my answers here, I know people live here. Maybe a kickstarter is in order, or a community project? A DnD supplement for roleplaying written by ratfans we can offer to a different forum community (not so unlike ours) or a YouTube show?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

If this forum goes down... and I have an emergency... what will we do? What will me and my pack do? I feel lost... does this mean before 2014 I need to find another outlet of rat information from other owners??? But this one I was so lucky to find and only been on it for about a year or less...and already i'm seeing it will go down next year?? :cry4: Help what should me and rat family do?? We're scared! :panic:

Edit: What can I do to help? Should I have a thread of my rat cam channel? Maybe that would help? I could subscribe to others and ya'll subscribe to me, and I'll add in the ratshack forum link on every video I do from now on!?

Don't panic, just participate! Read other threads, start your own thread. Post some pics of your kids. Vote for RPOM. Participate in contests or exchanges. Have fun!!! Jo was considering shutting down the forum because not enough people were active and contributing. If we are a bright, vital community, I don't think there's too much to worry about. :wink:

Joanne said:
Don't panic, just participate! Read other threads, start your own thread. Post some pics of your kids. Vote for RPOM. Participate in contests or exchanges. Have fun!!! Jo was considering shutting down the forum because not enough people were active and contributing. If we are a bright, vital community, I don't think there's too much to worry about. :wink:

Exactly!!!!!!! :heart:

Back