About the rat shack forum. Please read

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! I am one of those pesty inactive members that you are talking about (*shame*shame*). I would like to confess, I did what you don't want people to do - rely on the corresponding facebook group for quick advice and quick cute photo gratification. But, please I am now asking to become a reformed rat shack member! I would like to pledge my devotion to the forum over other social media forums! I completely agree that this is the better medium because of the search function. This is what I would use the rat shack forum for: actual information. The facebook group was fun during my sneaky breaks at work to quickly glimpse at some cute ratties, but ultimately, it is not a productive medium. Now that it is gone, there are many other facebook groups, but they can't be used as an actual resource.

I rely heavily on this forum as a resource for information about proper rat care as well as to see if other people have had similar problems to me and to see what they did and how things turned out. Sharing information is so important and keeping it documented for easy retrieval is what makes a forum an invaluable resource.

As to posting more often, I moved countries after my ratties all crossed the rainbow bridge. I hope to get new ratties in the next few months now that I'm settled in my new home. I will need the rat shack as a resource and pledge to be active with my new ratties, sharing and asking questions here.

Please forgive me and all those members like me, who fell between the cracks. :heart:

Sorraia, if there were only concientious breeders like you around, imagine what this world would be like. No rescues or unwanted rats, just genuine people wanting to love and care for animals.

I wish that people had to pass a test and get a licence to own a pet instead of the free rule that we have now, where animals are treated as though they are not lives, so please participate! I have always found your information so valuable and interesting.

That's sad, because of this forum I found what my girl had (a PT), if ratshack wasn't there, Pepper wouldn't be either at this very moment.
I'm soo gratefull for this forum, I can't imagine the documentation that is avalaible on here disapearing from the internet!
Some may not post or become member, but I'm sure lots of people found valuable infos on here, what about the traffic? (I must admit, I didn't read the 7 pages, only main post)
I just donated (I know it's not all about money, but the very few I gave will just maybe help you beeing motivated ;)
Thanks again on behalf of Pepper & Booh and myself for this great forums, and great supprot and help I received from their members :)

This forum is helping people (through me) to help in diagnosing others rats that may have PT too (at the moment, 1 for sure has been helped, the boy is on Cabergoline for a month and doing great), and I have two other cases that may be PT too.
I think the owners I mentionned above never went here, but the advises from here are spreading(through me) in France. This is how far your forum reaches peeps. Keep motivation Jorats, I hope I successfully passed the feeling I have about this forums :)

Thanks again :)

My bad. I know I've may have posted like 3 time in the last year or so but I still come here all the time. I tend to feel more comfortable lurking because reasons but I'll make the effort to do my part.

A major cause behind my radio silence (and many other people seem to have this problem, I see) is that I am currently rat-less and, unfortunately, that won't likely change in the near future. It might, who knows, but it doesn't look like it. However, I suppose that doesn't have to stop me from participating all together.

Like somebody already said, we often argue and disagree but, ultimately, I think we all know everybody's hearts are in the right place so we support each other.

Now that I think about it, I really did miss you all :cuddle:

I've read about your difficulties, and I don't know if I can help or not, enough to make a difference anyways. I DO KNOW that I love MY rat, and value to the extreme All the valuable input that you have provided. I'm so sorry that I haven't come along sooner to make a difference. To introduce myself, I'm the owner of 'Peirre, who is a fabulous black and white rat who is, despite his age , is the most fantastic rodent to ever enter my life. I know that he's entering the end of his life, but just can't fathom the thought of losing him right now. He is over three now, he's obese as well as club-footed, and sports a huge open abscess that Ive been fighting for months now. I love this animal beyond words, and spend hours each day cleaning and loving this animal. We have become soooo close, its amazing how we have bonded together, and I strive just to communicate this message to others. Male rats can, and will be your best buddy you have ever had bar none. Zero...zip....none. To those who , just as myself, are just now entering this web-site, please take to heart this plea... Rats are the most ill represented species on this planet, and if you own one, or planning to own one, rest assured that you have selected one of the most loving animals on this planet, and that you will NOT be disappointed if you are striving to have the most lovable pet that you can imagine. My only regret is that they live only three to five years. No more. So sad for such an enduring animal. And it tears my heart to know that 'Pierre only has a few more months, but also I know, that this animal has been loved more than any other animal in history, and that I will NEVER forget him....Douglas Dixon Madera, California
P.S. May the Lord allow me to be with him forever...

It certainly would be a shame if this forum shut its doors. I might not be exactly the Rat Shack Forum's target audience (I'm a wild rat rehabilitator), but I come from a pet domestic rat background and love everything ratty.

I came here to glean medical information, tips on housing, etc, and stayed because I found a great group of people who love ratties. I have no doubt that if I posted a question, I'd receive at least a dozen friendly responses.

To do my part to keep this forum alive, I promise to post more often. Perhaps even some photos if you guys wanna see wild Roof Rats. It will not be easy as this is the start of my "baby season", but I will do my best!

Sincerely, Gabriela

Kwewu7 said:
To do my part to keep this forum alive, I promise to post more often. Perhaps even some photos if you guys wanna see wild Roof Rats. It will not be easy as this is the start of my "baby season", but I will do my best!
Yes please! Wild rats are just as rattiliscious as domestics are! :D

Forgive me, I'm trying to figure out how to post a photo using the photo gallery feature. Here's my first attempt:

image.php

I think I figure out how to post photos. Yay!

Here's one of a juvenile ready for release. He was brought in to wildlife rehab as an orphan, his mother and siblings were eaten by a cat. Little man is a survivor!

image.php

Enjoy!

Moon said:
It's all your fault, Bamboo! Clearly you must visit more ;)

Good to see you!
Right? The party don't start til I walk in. I could get one of those classic debates going...those always got busy in a hurry.

Totally kidding. And I seriously doubt that my (apparently) 0.84 posts per day were missed but I appreciate your confidence in me, Moon lol.

Kwewu7 said:
Oh my goodness, that's adorable!

Kwewu7, your work sounds fascinating! We would LOVE it if you shared more about what you do!

Bamboo, *I* certainly notice your abscence. And I love the new avatar, LOL.

Even though I'm a new member here, I'd be sad to see this place go; however I understand. I can't do much to help with donations, but even for referencing reasons this place has really helped me when it comes to any and all rat questions.

If, god forbid:(, ratshack does shut down, it would be so great if it could somehow be archived for future reference. The thought of ratshack not being here anymore makes me so sad. I'm starting my pre-veterinary studies and honestly, I think even after vet school, the majority of my knowledge about ratties will have come from here.

It'll be so unfortunate and sad not having ratshack, but I definitely understand...

I know things have been rough in the past with having a facebook page, but maybe we could try again, or a group of some sort? A group where you can accept or ban people would probably make it easier to control the numerous bad rat advice that was being given on the last fb page?

All of my rat knowledge comes from here. I do wish we could keep the site. Is it still set to be shut down?
I start my vet tech course this week, and im still sure most of what ill learn from rats will be here. I would hate to see this go, as im sure everyone else would.

At this point, it will shut down only if we can't raise enough funds by the end of February or the number of visits drops down considerably.

You can definitely count me in to provide some funds! And eventhough it's tough right now, I will keep trying posting more... gotta keep this place alive... I cannot bear the thought of losing the Shack... :sad3:

Think Kevin can put the fundraiser link back up?

Back