About the rat shack forum. Please read

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:heart: We know how I feel about it. I cannot bare the idea of losing it. I have been here daily for a long time. I swear i am on rat shack before my coffee is done in the morning.

This forum is extremely important to me as well.
It does seem that the energy and sharing has slowly decreased as the facebook site has become more popular.
It seems like most do not post on both and this forum has lost out.

I hope we can rebuild an active, caring community similar to what we had since the beginning .... the info on here is invaluable, but it is the community that is our real treasure.

Thank you Jorats and Kevin for sharing your concerns and reminding of us of our responsibility to this community.

:hugs:

Like most people on here we log on multiple times a day.
WE NEED YOU!!!!
Drop the F.B. group.
They can come here and join our FAMILY. :hugs:
That's what we are.
We argue, get mad, frustrated and annoyed but we are here for each other.
I will keep posting and blabbing as I'm sure others will do as well.
I wish we could find another picture poster so we can see big lovely photos decorating the site.
I miss it. :(

I'm seriously thinking of shutting down the FB Rat Shack. It bothers me so much that there is a lot of misinformation going on there. It was suggested to me that I make a Rat Shack page instead of group on FB. This way I can control what goes on there and I can post accurate rat information. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

I haven't been a member that long I would really miss the Shack. :( I do logon every day but I don't post every often I'll try and make an effort to post more often.
I agree with a lot of the other comments the FB group is not as helpful at finding topics etc.

I too just joined the forum and being a new rat owner this forum is indispensable to me. I come here every day to read the posts and also to look up any information I need. I love seeing the photos and reading the posts about other people's rats, there are not many (or any) people in my "real" life that understand my love of my ratties. I would be very sad to see the Rat Shack go and I promise I will fight my natural shyness to post more often if it will save the Shack.

So I am going to start by removing all RatShackers from my FB Friend list. I have a second FB account under a fake name; hardly ever use it, so i will abandon it for good.

My next challenge is to find a way to post photos more often. I don't have much spare time, so I'm in the habit of taking phone photos, and now they are hard to post since our photo server had to be dropped. I tried emailing them to myself; that reduced the file size, but didnt sufficiently reduce the number of pixels.

So I will be looking at all your photos more than posting mine!

jorats said:
I'm seriously thinking of shutting down the FB Rat Shack. It bothers me so much that there is a lot of misinformation going on there. It was suggested to me that I make a Rat Shack page instead of group on FB. This way I can control what goes on there and I can post accurate rat information. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

I wish I could "like"/"thank" this post multiple times.

Honestly, I think this is a really good way to go (lol although I am a bit biased). You/we/whoever wants to take it on could create an informative page, referring people to this forum. It could talk about proper rat care, what to do in emergencies, etc etc. Fb is great for getting lots of people together and keeping in touch with people from a past life, but unfortunately it has become rather... cluttered.... with information, a lot of it useless and silly (seriously... farmville? I think there was a dentistry app too?). I really dislike facebook and to be completely honest, if the forum is shut down I wont be going to fb RS. I was contemplating actually getting rid of my fb account, but it is the only means of communication that I have with some friends who have moved to far away places.

I have been lacking in the number of posts that I have made lately, and I'll make an effort to reply to more posts :) Its the least I can do for a community that has been there for me since early 2009. LOL I think this forum has changed me more then I would like to admit >.< (don't worry, it was a change in a very good way). Even my first 2 girl's baby pictures are posted on here somewhere!!! Feels like ages ago...

(lol oops, sorry for the rant)

Godmother: What about using photobucket? I think there is an app where you can upload photos directly from your phone. Then you can just copy/paste the image link into your post.

we cant shut down! you guys are the only people who dont think im weird for having rats, i try to go on every night and some
times even at lunch in school. since i joined iv noticed a lot more people starting to join. hopefully we can keep the shack up!

I only recently found this site, but I've been trying my best to stay active as I can! Maybe I'll be able to convince some people I know to join up and start posting. I plan on staying active as long as the forum is up, just the little bit I've been here has all ready taught me so much and I all ready feel at home!
Best of wishes to Rat Shack for the future, I'll be devastated if it has to go just after I've joined!

I admit it, I am more of a forum lurker then a poster, but that doesn't mean I don't value the forum.

The thought of the Rat Shack forum closing makes me panic. It is my go to place for reliable rattle information be it through a search and read or a post of a question.

Often I pop on just to enjoy some new rattle photos or a cute story.

I can try to be more of a poster than a lurker. :thumbup:

Crumbilina and Jorats, thanks for letting me know that Photobucket has gone mobile.
I used to use Photobucket a lot, and the it became so slow at uploading that I abandoned it. Time to have another look!

Sorry, I too have been guilty of not posting much at all the last four months. There were serious issues with my business, which must take priority. Thankfully things are settling down now, and I am starting to have more time again. I also got a cell phone, and stopped using my camera. I guess I keep thinking I can't use those pics, but come to think of it, they do go directly to my laptop.
No worries about Facebook from me - I don't have an account! Hahaha!
But seriously, I consider this place my go-to place for information and rat love. I am comforted to know it is there if I ever need information or advice. I would miss it terribly if it were gone...

I second what everyone has said. I love this forum so much, and have noticed it being more quiet here. I would love to see it active again! I made a post on Tumblr tagged under rat's in hopes of having members there jump over here. We should continue to encourage the RS members on FB to come on over here. I wonder what other places I can post and spam up. LOL

Should we post this thread on the FB rat shack? If they were aware of the need of support perhaps they would be more inclined to join.

i never did get to work the photo bucket upload thing so i didn't realise it was down, or whatever happened to it. i have been using tiny pic. it might take a little more time but its what i've always used. you choose a file from ur computer library, the choose what type of file it is image video or url then there's a drop down bar and you choose the size. there's a message board size and that's what i usually use for here, then you upload.

just recently there are one of those security things where you have to write the phrase. that's a pain in the but -_- then when the pictures uploaded you can pick from for different 'picture codes' to pick from like including html for websites and IMG codes for forums and message board. you copy and paste the code into your post and violaaaa. it might sound more difficult than what it actually is.
but i've been using it for years.
just thought i'd share in case anyone wanted an alternative or other things arent working at the moment. we need to see some more pictures! :wink2:

ppy78.jpg

Bobo mid boogle from his shoulder massage from gf she's the best petter ;)

Hmm okay I tried it lets see if that works if so wow that was really pretty simple actually and great instruction

jorats said:

I know it's not my decision, but I think getting rid of the FB group would be a great idea.
There is really no need for it when you have the forum here for people to use. :)

Back