Worried about Chester - RIP my love...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I thought when I read the Rat Health Guide - she said a rat could drink 9 to 12 ml of liquid in one sitting (referring to soy infant formula)... sounds about right after all! Of course, he didn't get it all in one shot... we cuddled and ate for about 30-45 minutes.

It's almost been a week now... Chester is still with me. He is slowly going downhill, but he hangs on like the brave little boy he's become. I haven't officially weight him yet for this week, but I think I was able to stop or at least slow down his crazy weight loss. I'm trying to get a minimum of 24 ccs of formula and mushed block mix into him everyday, that I mix with mushed fruit or veggies or baby cereal to vary the taste a little. His poops are better, but his energy level is very low - my poor baby is so, so very tired. :(

He's still fighting though. And he still enjoys our moments together. He moved to the lower level of the DCN last weekend as he somehow managed to fall down from the first level (I have bass pans and he is weak with HED... beats me!) and regularly gets visitors. I sometimes even find a Jay or Tanner snuggled in the house with him. :heart: Yesterday evening, for the first time since he moved downstair, everybody was on the lower level with him when we took them out for out time. Made me both happy and worried, like I was afraid they knew his time was up and all regrouped to say goodbye. But he's still here this morning! :D

I am torn between letting him go now while he still enjoys a few things but shows obvious signs that living has become a though weight to carry, or trying to relieve him some more somehow... would increasing the bromo do any good? I am hesitant to increase the Pred because of some respiratory issues he's had just before getting treated... especially since, if something goes wrong, I will have no vet to PTS him before Tuesday, and Monday is a holiday here.

Are you on the higher dose of bromo right now? Usually pred helps with respiratory problems (with any inflammation in the lungs), but I know it can also whack the immune system. Is he on an antibiotic? (sorry if I missed this info).

It is such a tough call. Do you feel that he's still enjoying himself at least a reasonable chunk of the time, or do his eyes have that painful 'help me' look to them? I feel feel so badly for you. I know how awful it is to go through this stuff. My heart is with both of you; hope your little fellow can pull through for you.

I don't know whether the dose he gets is mid or high range. Unlike most people here, I do dilute the bromo (10 pills into 2 ccs of water, then 4 cc of Ora+ , then 2 ccs of OraSweet). He gets .5 cc of this mix everyday. And yes, he is on abs - he's on Chlor Palm, which seems to be doing good so far.

His eyes are still bright but he's got an intense look into them - when he looks at me, I see a little Buddha - wise and serene. He does look tired more and more often, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He's trying to brux sometimes, but I cannot tell whether it is because he is happy, because he is trying to trim his teeth or because he is in pain - but I don't think it's pain.

I am not expecting him to pull through - he is in his last miles. He is the love of my life, but he gave me plenty of time to get ready and say goodbye. I know he knows I love him, and I feel enough at peace right now to tell him he can go if he needs to. I sometimes have the feeling he is hanging on just for me, but I want him at peace. If it is with me, great! If it is by the Bridge, with his lost friends, I am fine with that too. But gosh will I miss my Newfoundland love when it happens! :sad3:

OK... things are moving faster now... too fast. :sad3:

I had heard some breathing noise in the cage last night and again earlier today, but couldn't find where it came from - now Chester just did them while I was moving him to clean the cage. The Pred is taking its toll, and the Chlor Palm is not enough. I have Trim Sulfa, Baytril (which I'm concerned about resistance), Noroclav, Doxy... I think that's about it regarding abs. What should I give him??? He now weights 527 g... he actually lost 28 g this week!!!! :cry4:

Give him baytril and doxy...stop the chlorpalm. I have had wonderful luck with chlorpalm for infections but not respiratory...so lets see if the combo gets him back for you :heart:

will start tonight...

I need a dose though... my math is horrible... :roll:

Both the abs are 100 mg/ml...

Thanks so much.... :cuddle:

He's going downhill real fast... started drooling. I held him crying all evening, I don't know whether he will be with us tomorrow morning, but I HAVE to go to bed, I'm so exhausted right now, just breathing brings me on the verge of tears...

:sad3: Is it respiratory or is it the PT? If you want to try, I have a nebulizer and some other things you can try for the resp.

I'm so sorry. Maybe the baytril and doxy will kick in and take hold in a dose or two. Is he still capable of swallowing? I wonder if you can boost his immune system with some echinecea/goldenseal for a few days. No matter how much we try to make our peace with their having to leave, it hurts like all heck when we think that moment might be coming. If someone can lend you a nebulizer, even some straight saline solution misted may help him breathe.

You are exhausted. We've all been there many times, the sitting up half the night, the worrying about them. It takes its toll. Just tell your little boy again how much you love him and just hold him. Perhaps try a few minutes of warm steam by running the shower in the bathroom.

Please let us know how he does. No matter what happens, you have done your best, and so has he; however it goes is the way it was meant to go. Please take care. :hugs:

Thank you ladies :hugs:

Against all odds, Chester is still with me. :D

His issue is the PT, not respiratory. He can still swallow... at least a little. He is very weak, very limb, but his eyes are bright and wide open. He looked better this morning than he did last night, which is odd as he usually is at his best at night. Maybe the Baytril and Doxy actually kicked in one dose? Who knows. I don't know how long he will last, all I know is there is no PTS in his very near future as the clinic is closed until Tuesday - and to top things, my nephews are coming over Monday night through Wednesday, so it would have to be on Thursday... so far away for a little frail body like his. Looks like he wants to stay, though. So all it good for now. We'll see how long he will be able to fight...

Ug, it's so tough watching them like this...
Every time I go to the cage, I check Hotch to see if he's still with us.
One moment we are begging them to stay with us a little longer, and the next moment we are wishing they would cross over to the bridge so their suffering has ended.
I hope the rest of Chester's time with you is peaceful...
:hugs:

Chester is still with us. He's still battling in his own ways... I can't believe how strong willed my little guy is. Sometimes, I wish he would let go and leave in peace... but I'm somehow happy he's still here. Feeding him is a long smooth battle - he drools a lot of what I put in his mouth, but this morning, it seems we find a compromise and he swallowed almost all of his 6 cc of formula and baby cereals (he will not take mushed blocks mixed in anymore). My niece and nephew arrived yesterday afternoon, and will be with us until tomorrow pm, so if he is still here on Thursday, I will take him in and set him free. He's not enjoying much of anything anymore, so I won't force him to stay someplace he is not as happy as he can be. :sad3:

Back