Wolfie - update w back home pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfie came home last night. If you had asked me Monday morning if I thought my baby would ever come home, I would have said 'no', and despite the fact that he's here, I still find it hard to believe. I was skeptical when Dr. F called yesterday morning to say he seemed clinically improved, and terrified when she said she thought he could go home. We still do not know his current kidney values, and I'm honestly afraid to check. We're ordered back in a week to have them rechecked. For now, he will continue treatment at home, and we will pray for the best.

I'm afraid to report good news right now - I'm a firm believe in jinxing things, and have a terrible habit of speaking too soon. But he truly does seem amazingly better. Monday he was so lethargic and uninterested in everything. Last night he was excited and eager to play and run around exploring. I feared an overnight relapse when I found him this morning, sleepy in his hammock, but returned from my shower to find him grasping the cage bars, demanded Out. Out he went, like a little rocket, excited about life again.

The sub-q fluid injection this morning was not fun for any of us. I need to be more confident. We used to have a diabetic cat who was also the demon kitty from hell, and I figured if I was albe to give her insulin shots all those years, a sweet little manrat sub-q wouldn't be an issue. Wrong! Got about 8mL of the 10mL prescribed into him this morning. It will take practice.

Some pics from last night. Honestly, he would not stay put long enough to get a decent shot. I'm actually worried that maybe the high activity is just another symptom, but I have to hope.

In the box
p5230750.jpg

Still thirsty *sigh*
p5230757.jpg

Harrassing his (hopefully) future cagemates. Wolf says "I may be neutered, and I may be having major medical issues, but I could still kick your butt anytime, anyplace"
p5240759.jpg

They shaved his bum, I'm not sure why, originally they were going to stick something there but opted for his arms instead. Poor bub.
p5230751.jpg

p5230755.jpg

@ jennifervb - He sends kisses, and wants you to know he's not going down without a fight :heart:
p5240761.jpg

lilspaz68 said:
he looks great!!!

Where are you sub-q'g his fluids? What gauge is the needle you are using?

Fluids are going into his scruff area. I would like to be proficient enough to do the thing where half goes over one shoulder, and half over the other to balance him out, but I don't have those skills yet :oops: The needles are mighty big looking. Idk gauge off the top of my head, would have to check when I am at home.

temblabamomo said:
lilspaz68 said:
he looks great!!!

Where are you sub-q'g his fluids? What gauge is the needle you are using?

Fluids are going into his scruff area. I would like to be proficient enough to do the thing where half goes over one shoulder, and half over the other to balance him out, but I don't have those skills yet :oops: The needles are mighty big looking. Idk gauge off the top of my head, would have to check when I am at home.

the huge needle is most likely the issue

is your vet far from you? I have suggestions but you would need to get butterfly needles or infusion sets. Unlike dogs/cats, etc, the thinnest skin on a rat is on the flank, and if you have 2 pairs of hands or the rat is really good I prefer to roll the skin between my fingers just in front of the hip, til you feel the thinnest part, then pull up the skin and insert the 23 gauge butterfly needle there. I usually slowly push in the 10 ml's over the one hip, it absorbs quickly.

I have sort of a step by step post in Reference I think?

:shock: I just read the entire post.
WOW.
First I have never seen a neuter done so high up.
It looks so sore.
Also having Wolfie go through kidney failure and med allergies. :gaah:
Poor you. :cuddle:
I hope this experience hasn't scarred both you and Wolfie too much.
What happened isn't the norm.

Gosh, I just caught this thread - poor you and poor Wolfie! I so hope he will bounce back and be with you for a lot longer. A good appetite and lots of energy is a good thing, so we're all hoping for the best. :hugs:

temblabamomo said:
@ jennifervb - He sends kisses, and wants you to know he's not going down without a fight :heart:
p5240761.jpg

Kisses right back to the strapping, handsome, little gent. :love6:

Love you Morgan. No matter what happens, you were the best person in the world for him to go to and you will be the first person I ask if another rescue ever comes my way. :hugs:

jennifervb said:
Love you Morgan. No matter what happens, you were the best person in the world for him to go to and you will be the first person I ask if another rescue ever comes my way. :hugs:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
He gets better and better. I starting to believe that he might actually be okay.

temblabamomo said:
jennifervb said:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
He gets better and better. I starting to believe that he might actually be okay.

Anyrat who lived in the conditions he was in at that PetStupid (sorry... couldn't resist) will make every effort to get well when he has been moved to such exaulted digs as yours. Lets face it, Morgan, the Queen Mother lived to be over 100 and it was probably because the accommodations were awesome and the food was great!

Wolfie's situation is exactly the same... only he is a ratman and not the mother of the Queen.
:bunnydance: :wink2: :hugs: :love6: :heart: :rose:

Back