Wolfie - update w back home pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! I think we should discuss neuters with you once you get back. With most of my boys you don't know they are neutered until much later when the shrinkage starts (4 days later or so).

I wasn't to surprised by how things looked, in watching everone else here and their neuter experiences I have learned different vets do things different, and it depends on the rat as well. If it were only bleeding at the incision I wouldn't be too concerned, but bleeding from the penis has me freaked.

ER vet wasn't a complete waste. Doc was nice, admitted she knew little of rats but had me wait forever while she went on a vets only forum and asked some questions and did some research. She found a few cases where similar situations occured after a rat neuter, and they cleared up as the neuter healed. She said it certainly does not seem to be a common complication, but not unheard of. She said she would recommend antibiotics, which he is on, and to follow up with Dr. P come Monday, and certainly come back if it is worse. Standard er vet visit but it gave me some small peace of mind at least.

Left Wolf at home for 20 minutes while I went to feed/medicate the neighbor's cats, came back to more blood. He cleaned it all off and snarfed up his meds and dinner. He's been curled up in his box for nearly an hour now snoozing. Hope the metacam is making him comfy and his snoozing is only due to a day of being dragged to the vet and prodded and worried over. Definitely getting back to Dr. P Monday if this doesn't miraculously clear up.

Scary stuff! Did the er vet give him a shot of vitamin K? That can help with the coagulation process.
I sure hope your boy feels better soon. How is he acting otherwise?
That's a great vet for doing research and looking into it. In my city only one vet will see rats and if it's an emergency, it's too bad for the rat.

As Jo said vitamin K can really help him, and also iron rich foods, I think spinach, kale, broccoli etc all have both, and they will help with clotting and possible anemia from the blood loss.

Poor Wolfie.

Will definitely try some of those foods, he did not get a shot. Saw coleslaw lower down on the vitamin k list, as it was the only iyem currently onhand gave him a bit. He's eaten bit of it but was more interested in the tiny chunk of veggie burger I brought. That'll learn me to put other distracting foods down with the medicinally beneficial ones. D'oh.

He came out this morning to explore a bit but it was a very short session. Right after he ate his meds (abs and meta) he crawled under the FN to lay down, which is very out of character for him. There was less blood in the cage this morning, so that's a plus.

Hi everyone.

I had a message from Morgan yesterday that Wolfie is being kept at the vet's office. It looks like his kidneys are failing.

They are keeping him medicated and hydrated to try and flush out what I believe Morgan said could be toxicity from the Metacam.

Pray hard for little Wolfie. :sad3:

I have not heard from Morgan today and hope that she will post soon saying that he pulled through the night. The poor, sweet, little guy. :tearful:

He has had what is most likely a reaction to the metacam. The creatinine and BUN levels were elevated yesterday, Dr. F says they are high could could also go higher, like what you would see in end stage renal disease. She is hopeful that diuresis will get his kidneys back on track, but she also does not know rats well.

He also had blood in his urine. Less than the amount I was seeing Saturday, but blood nonetheless.

Dr. P called this morning (he's our usual vet and taking over the case), Wolf would not cooperate for blood draw and they will need to sedate him a bit. They will run the kidney values again and let me know. He has an e-collar so he can't get his IV out, but it also inhibits him from holding food to eat. He has been having supervised off-collar time, and has eaten a bit on his own. Last night they were syringing food into him. Dr. P will call me when the numbers are in.

I'm having trouble getting my head around all of this. It was a simple neuter.

Poor sweetie. What an ordeal for him, and for you also.

Surgery usually goes so well, and then there are the other times. :(

Good luck. The girls and I send best wishes and healing vibes.

temblabamomo said:
He has had what is most likely a reaction to the metacam. The creatinine and BUN levels were elevated yesterday, Dr. F says they are high could could also go higher, like what you would see in end stage renal disease. She is hopeful that diuresis will get his kidneys back on track, but she also does not know rats well.

He also had blood in his urine. Less than the amount I was seeing Saturday, but blood nonetheless.

Dr. P called this morning (he's our usual vet and taking over the case), Wolf would not cooperate for blood draw and they will need to sedate him a bit. They will run the kidney values again and let me know. He has an e-collar so he can't get his IV out, but it also inhibits him from holding food to eat. He has been having supervised off-collar time, and has eaten a bit on his own. Last night they were syringing food into him. Dr. P will call me when the numbers are in.

I'm having trouble getting my head around all of this. It was a simple neuter.

Morgan, if your vets need exotics advice, have them call Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center in Fairfax, VA and speak with Dr. Kelley McDonald. She was the vet who saw Wolfie when I brought him home! She is very nice and knows a LOT about rats!

Your vets can reach the vet center at the following number: 703-654-3100.

If Dr. McDonald is not available, any other of their doctors can pull his chart (Rescue Rat - Jennifer Bauer) and advise from there.

Hang in there Morgan! Give him a TON of kisses if you get a chance to see him. :hugs: :heart: :rose:

Spoke to the doc midday. Blood panel showed his creatinine and BUN had risen a bit more :sad3: Phosphorous was down a bit, which is a positive change. Still little appetite. They said I was welcome to bring him anything that might tempt his appetite when I see him after work. I think Mom is bringing him a soft Mrs. Fields cookie to see if he'll take some nibbles (they're truly irresistible.)

Outwardly, Wolf is a little bit brighter, but not much, so I am told. They will not run the numbers again. Either he'll be outwardly improved tomorrow mid-morning and we can assume the kidney values are turning around, or he will not, and it will most likely be time to make a tough decision. All the kind thoughts and prayers from you guys have been very appreciated.

We are home :) I have a semi-nakie rat now. Poor darling has a number of shaved patches from IVs and blood draws. He slurped up some baby food, not the normal rat vaccuum he was before but he ate more than he would Monday. He also ate a treat for me. He is brighter, but also very worn out. Idk how much of that is due to his kidneys, and how much is due to the exhaustion of the past couple of days. He will get sub-q fluids at home once a day, recheck the value in about a week if he's still hanging in there. Obviously if he declines we'll go back sooner. Getting ready to tuck him in, I think he will be happy to be in his own cage again.

Back