Wolfie - update w back home pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got home a little while ago. Wolfie has that dazed "what the hell happened to me today??" Look on his face. He was given food at the vet so I know he's not starving, but he inhaled his dinner this evening so I know he's feeling like his normal piggy self :thumbup: Have no camera for taking pics of the former goolie site atm but it looks good.

This being my first rat neuter, I'm not sure what th expect in some ways. My other neuter boys have no "baggage" left but I assume that's because they were young tiny when neutered. was surprised yesterday to get wolfie back with two harble shaped skin hanging down in back. Looks just like goolies but there's definitely nothing in there. Incision was made just below his penis, it appears. He's started licking at it a lot today. I've been finding some blood staining here and there in his cage, isn't dark, like its diluted with other clear drainage. Is this normal? Should I worry about his licking attempts? Will that excess skin retract or stay empty or fill with drainage and how do I know if it feels "normal"?

Definitely freaking out now. Was just intermittant bleeding from incision area only when he messed with it, picked him up and he's licked most of the blood away but I popped his penis out and there was blood all around it. Idk if blood from the incision was just smeared up into his sheath or if he is bleeding from there. Vet is closed now til Monday. I am panicked.

this is the best i can get. the darkest drop of blood is on th tip of his penis, i thought the incision was just a bit below that but its difficult to tell. he's not bleeding profusely, just on and off as he messes with it. i was expecting some blood from th incision area, but just got startled and worried when i saw it around his penis. like i said, dunno is it just got smeared in with his licking or what. he's otherwise acting normal, or normal as he can be for the day after surgery.
2012-05-19-14-57-17.jpg

I would try to call a vet at home if there isn't an emergency vet on all or an emergency number.
This should not be happening.
He likely needs meds for pain but that might make him bleed more.
Never had a neuter done that high up either.

One of the er clinics said bring him in they'd definitely look at him. But they do not specialize in exotics, what on earth can they do? He had meta this morning, doesn't act as tho he's in too much pain. En route to vet now, altho I'm worried it will be a waste of time.

Back