Why can't people tie their dogs?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
My dog got mauled tonight on our walk. This big beautiful angry sheep dog came out of nowhere, ran up to Jax and took a bite on his side and started to shake him. The dog didn't even stop to smell Jax first, he just jumped him to bite. After he let go of his side he went for his front leg and neck and proceeded to shake him again, that's when Jax started screaming. The owner finally got a hold of his dog and Jax took a step and collapsed in the middle of the road. There was blood everywhere. We rushed him to the emergency vet 40 minutes away. Jax was cleaned up, given more antibiotics but no pain meds because Jax is very sick and is being treated for gastric bleeding so no NSAIDS. I'm calling my regular vet tomorrow to see if we can do other pain meds. I haven't stopped crying. My poor Jax is such a sick dog to begin with. He has bowel disease and now cushing's syndrome and now this? I feel so guilty and helpless. My husband is talking to the owner of the dog to see if he'll pay for the vet bill. It cost $330 tonight but may be more once we see our vet. I just wish people would tie their dogs. The guy swears up and down that his dog has never done this before... if his dog would have been on a leash or tied down, this would never have happened.
Please send good thoughts to Jax. :cry4:

Bite marks:

bitemarks.jpg

bitemarks2.jpg

Poor Jax:

PoorJax.jpg

Oh jeez, what a scary thing to happen. I'm definitely sending my thoughts and prayers to Jax, and to you as well. It's a terrible thing to witness, and it will take time for both of you to recover. Hope he gets well soon. :sad-p:

oh my god. i am so sorry this happened, how awful. all because of a naive owner who doesn't care enough to leash their dog. *hugs to you and jax* i would never ever let my dog run off leash, who knows what he could do, or have done to him. he is sweet as pie and i doubt could ever hurt anyone or anything, but it's people who don't leash their dogs that make it dangerous for everyone else. hope he feels better soon. <333

I'm rather taken aback at how much this has affected me. It really is traumatizing.

This guy is apparently off work for a bad back, so he can't pay us right now... surprise surprise. :roll: But to be honest, I really don't care about the money, we can afford it. And the guy is really upset about what his dog did. He's contacting the breeder tomorrow to find out what's going on. The dog is only 17 months old. All I care about is that his dog is leashed or restrained from now on.

thanks guys for your support. It really helps.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened! :( I hope Jax will be okay!

I find it hard to believe that the owner of the other dog had no knowledge that his dog was capable of something like this.

KMG365 said:
I find it hard to believe that the owner of the other dog had no knowledge that his dog was capable of something like this.
I know... and what's worse, this is the second dog he buys from the same breeder. The first dog, he had to have put down because it was attacking his grandkids. WTH? Who buys another dog from the same breeder with that kind of history?

I am so very sorry - this is tragic. Poor Jax, although he seems to be in pretty good spirits from his picture which is great. I hope that he fully recovers, both mentally and physically. With everything else going on with him, he doesn't need this to top it off.
I know how upset you must be, I would be traumatized if this happened to me. I don't know what is wrong with people, and that this idiot would support a breeder again who sold him another aggressive dog in the past is just mind blowing for me.
Big hugs and kisses to you and Jax, my thoughts are with you all. Let us know how it goes when he is able to see his regular doctor.

jorats said:
I know... and what's worse, this is the second dog he buys from the same breeder. The first dog, he had to have put down because it was attacking his grandkids. WTH? Who buys another dog from the same breeder with that kind of history?

omg.. :gaah: :wallbang:

Sweet Louise. I'm sending healing vibes his way. Poor Jax.

Some people are just morons. Should ask him if he knows how to use a leash.

So this guy isn't willing to pay any money at all - not even on some kind of plan or payment system? I Know the money isn't the issue and I know the lawyer in me is probably talking but I mean...really!!!!!!! I'm sure there's some liability or tort or something that would hold this guy responsible. Maybe that's what he needs to stop being a moron. Hit him where it would hurt him: his pocketbooks!!!!!!!

Poor puppy :( I hope he recovers well.

Oh Jo....How awful. I would be furious. Poor little Jax and all he is already going through. I don't believe that this dog never showed any "signs" before.....I do believe that Mr. Oblivious didn't see the signs......
I hope poor Jax gets better very soon. Hugs to you both....

rat.charmer, it's a sticky situation... his mom is my mother in law's good friend. He said that he hopes to be back to work by December and will pay us then. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

This morning, Jax is limping pretty bad. But he got up to eat, then poor thing had to go down 3 flights of stairs to go outside. Going back up was very painful for him. I also did the hot compressing on him and he wouldn't stop shaking. I found another bite wound, the emergency vet missed so it didn't get cleaned up like the others. I'll be calling my vet this morning, in about 30 min.
Jax doesn't move from his blanket. :no:

I'm so sorry about poor Jax, what an awful thing to have happen for both of you. I would definitely be traumatized as well.

A friend of mine just got her little chihuahua/Jack Russel attacked by a large dog a few weeks ago. She knew this other dog, he was very friendly, had no history of being agressive, but for some reason this one day something tweaked and he grabbed her little dog (who was leashed).

Thank god the wee dog didn't get more than bruising and large scrapes across her belly - it could have been much worse. It took 4 men (one was the owner) and my friend to get the big dog off. One man was on his way to his truck to get a tire iron when the dog finally let go. :( My friend said it was the most terrifying experience of her life.

The man who owns the dog was beside himself - he'd just adopted him in January and had no idea he was capable of this, but why take the chance? Why not just have your dog on a leash ALL THE TIME, just in case?!

I hope your regular vet is able to find something to help him with his pain, and I hope he recovers quickly, especially given all his other issues.

Jo, I am very sorry this happened to you and Jax.

First off let me say that dogs are dogs they have wild dog instincts. You should never let your dog just run wild for its own safety and the safety of others. For people who say "my dog has never been aggressive, this is the first time." Well all I have to say is ignorance must be blissful because you are completely ignorant! Because it is f-ing ignorant to think a dog will never a single day in its life be aggressive. At one point your dog has growled or barked in an aggressive manner. They are DOGS.

Jo, do you not have leash laws there? Could you possibly sue his homeowners insurance? I would. Money, pain, suffering he deserves to pay what if it had been a child or you had bitten, you just never know.

I'm waiting for a call back from my vet. Cityratt gave me some names of good pain meds, I'll mention it to my vet.

We do have leash laws but it's not enforced. I'd have to contact a by law officer and then he would have to catch the animal in the act of being loose. I've already contacted them when my neighbours dog got hit by a car a few months back. I could bring it to court and force Mike to pay but I don't think it would be productive. We'd lose out in lost wages and time just for a measly $300. But if I do see this dog loose again I will say something. Thinking back though, I've never seen this dog before. I kept saying to Scott, are you sure he lives near us? So the dog must be leashed cause I sure never saw him before.

That is so horrible! I hope Jax makes a full recovery!

That to me sounds almost unbelievable that the guy never noticed any "warning signs" from his dog. Stuff like this doesn't normally happen completely out of the blue! I don't know... maybe poor socializing and poor training. Unfortunately now Jax has to pay for it. :(

I sure hope that guy learns his lesson and keeps his dog on good leash when out in public from now on! If you ever see that dog running lose again, don't bother talking to the owner, go straight to animal control of the by-law officer, and make a point to emphasis that this dog IS a threat to public safety and someone needs to get out there right away! That might be a slight exaggeration of what actually happened, but if this dog attacked another dog, it might, just might, attack a person next.

And the guy had the same issue with a dog from the same breeder? And went back?!?! Some people just don't learn the first time...

Back