Vicious rat, or just confused? - SNIP TIME FOR CASS!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odoriusagi

Last week, I posted joyfully about my husband and myself adopting two active, relatively young, well-socialized male rats from a local shelter. For the last 6 days, we have showered them with love, treats and care, and really enjoy watching their antics. They haven't bonded with us, but one of them (Castielle, dumbo siamese) happily clambers up onto our shoulders and will fall asleep there. Mimo, a black berkshire, doesn't particularly care about us either way, but will eat treats and snuggle with his brother. We figured that it is just a matter of time before they both come to see that we love them and find them so appealing and adorable.

They'd originally been given to the shelter because their previous owners claimed that Castielle had been the aggressor when fighting with Mimo, but apart from posturing and chasing and tussling, they'd end up in the same hammock over and over again.

These are our very first rats (both of us have had cats all of our lives, and I've had gerbils, mice and rabbits), and they live in the lap of ratty luxury (Critter Nation, homemade hammocks, a great view of Montreal, etc.). We did a lot of research before purchasing the supplies and adopting the rats, and I'm not sure I've ever looked forward to something as much as I looked forward to taking these little guys home with me. I counted every single hour.

And take them home I did, last Monday. The foster family hadn't cared for them well, and they were stinky, had diarrhea and were incredibly dirty, but they were bright-eyed, active and playful. I was slightly shocked at their state and desperate to give them a better home. After a couple of days eating Oxbow and plenty of fruits and veggies, they were SO much cleaner and smelled almost pleasant. Every night after work, we come home and let them play for hours on the bed.

Life was grand.

Until last night.

I reached into the boys' cage and gave Castielle a little skritch, which he appreciated as he settled in his hammock. I was going to do the same for Mimo before heading to bed, and I held my hand out to him. He came out of his hidey hole, sniffed, and CHOMP. A pinhole bite, leaking blood. Hurt, I closed the cage and went to wash my hand, figuring he'd just been surprised or I'd woken him up or invaded his space. He'd be fine in the morning. I checked on them in the middle of the night, and they were snuggled together in the hammock, fast asleep.

This morning, we woke up to give the boys their weekend morning playtime (we decided to give them extra playtime on weekends, since we're usually around). I skritched Castielle, which he enjoyed, and reached down to do the same to Mimo. He sauntered over to my hand, appearing quite casual and calm. He sniffed once, and then without warning, delivered a vicious, lightning bite, tearing a chunk out of my finger. Blood flew everywhere as I yanked my hand back. I couldn't even say "no", I just sat, staring at the crater with tears leaking out of my eyes. I sat for a minute or two with the door open, and Mimo methodically gathered all of the toys on the bottom level and threw them at me! Between throws, he rucked up the cage liner and foofed.

I told my husband about Mimo's strange behavior, thinking that maybe he decided not to like ME and wouldn't react the same with my husband. Wrong. Mimo would curiously come out of his hut, grab a drink of water on the way to his hand, and then viciously bite. Steven and I were both bleeding by this point. Something had to be done.

In the course of our research, we'd read RatDaddy's sticky post about immersion. It seemed that Mimo was asserting himself as the dominant rat, acting toward us like an alpha rat would toward a disobedient subordinate. We decided to try immersion.

We donned our winter gloves and took Mimo from the cage (Castielle, sleepy and uninterested, snoozed in the hammock). He puffed up and foofed at us furiously, chattering to beat the band. We set him gently in the play area on the bed and sat down ourselves. Immediately, we were in his face, challenging his aggression. At no point did he show any fear. At no point was he on the defensive. Whenever he encountered one of our hands, he would deliver a furious bite, foofing and posturing, and each time, we would gently swat him, saying "no, Mimo."

At two points, he bit me so unbelievably ferociously that his teeth pierced my leather glove and actually bit THROUGH my fingernail, cracking it from the tip to the quick. One of my knuckles is a 2cm black-purple bruise bordered by deep puncture wounds that refused to stop bleeding even after 30 minutes, and Steven isn't in any better shape. Everything I've ever read about rats indicated that such behavior is not normal, is pretty rare, and should not be tolerated. All I could do was sob to myself as I tried to teach him that he just could NOT behave that way and be our pet. I asked myself why I ever thought I could be a rat mommy, when it seemed that everybody had such loving boys and smart, active, affectionate girls. All of the information had convinced me that rats make some of the best, most intelligent, most affectionate pets ever. How had I so eagerly bought into this? What did I do wrong? What did I not do right?

For two hours we sat with him. He always came back biting, looking for more, and more he got - gentle swatting and firm "no"s. He foofed and puffed and complained and grunted. The weird thing about this entire altercation is the fact that he would continue to curiously explore us, even climbing onto our arms, laps and shoulders, sniffing our faces! But when he found a finger, CHOMP. I was terrified that we were ruining him, until I realized that there was no more to ruin. A vicious, biting rat is as low as you go. And slowly, he stopped biting, and then he stopped nipping. We timed him.

After 15 minutes of no biting or nipping, I took my glove off and offered him my hand. He sniffed it, and I skritched him on his neck, offering him treats, praising him for his gentleness and admonishing him if he did attack. He wasn't into the skritches, but he tolerated them. He was so tuckered out and no longer willing to fight. He climbed into our laps, he laid down next to our thighs, he allowed himself to be stroked, the little adorable guy. It breaks my heart, he has the cheekiest little smile and the most beautiful wide face and glossy eyes. He received pets and treats for another 45 minutes until we deemed him calm enough to go back into his cage, and BOY was he happy to go back. Not a single bite was given.

The blanket and my pyjamas were gory messes. It was a battlefield.

I'm scared of him and I love him. It is a heartbreaking combo.

Please help. This is not even close to the rainbows and hearts and snuggles I imagined about my first rat experience. I'm just so downhearted and sad.

First I'd like to address your bites having just gotten a nasty one myself a few weeks back. Make sure you watch them really well I ended up in the ER with in 24hrs with a nasty infection and cellulitis. Rat bites are the worst and they take forever to heel. Mine is on the top knuckle of my pointer finger and I still have trouble using it, it appears I have some nerve damage, and I still have trouble with some range of motion. I had to soak mine in warm water twice a day and take high dose antibiotics every 4 hours. That being said.

Is the lovely chomper neutered? If not, that is probably the next move you should consider. It has worked nicely on two of our terror children. How old is this boy? I believe hormones take over somewhere between 4-7 months, but I'm not positive on that. We currently have 13 boys, but I have never had trouble with any of my dumbos. You mentioned you have cats, its possible he smells the other animals on you and is being defensive. One of our boys was always biting my fiance on his upper legs/knees - it took us awhile, but we realized that is where his cat always sleeps (in his lap). The rat never bites me - the cat never sleeps on me - its not my cat. Are you using fruit smelling soap? The rat might be cage aggressive, but since he was doing his outside of the cage I think you can rule that out. If he's not neutered - I would try that first and hopefully in a couple weeks you will see a whole new rattie. Try using oven mitts instead of your good gloves. Did you happen to notice if they have any scabs on them especially around their neck/chins? If so they could have mites and they would make them cranky too. Good luck! :cuddle:

I'm sorry this is your first rattie experience. Please, please do not think that this is normal rattie behavior - it is not!
I too would suggest neutering him. Most boys are lovely, but some need to say goodbye to their testicles. It helps in almost all cases.
Try that first, and then reassess after a few months.
Good luck, and thanks for giving them a chance!!! :hugs:

Do you know their ages?
Also, which immersion post do you mean?
Challenging a rat is not a good idea, they will win each time because they are rats. I don't believe Mimo bit you because he wants to dominate you, he bit you because you entered his home.
He is probably thinking, oh no, they are going to move us again, I can't let that happen. His hormones are also getting the better of him. I highly recommend having him neutered.
No amount of challenging him will work. But you could try trust training and respecting his area.

Some boys are scared, their testicles really get the best of them hormonally. It is important to take baby steps. start with feeding him on a spoon. Yogurt, scrambled eggs and so on. Dont give him your hand at all yet. after he is comfy eating from the spooon slowly and carefully start petting his head. So rats are cage aggressive so in the cage they may be little meanies. Never surprise a rat that can bite. Always announce you are there by saying his name. Sadly some boys need neuters to make them happy boys. It can take time to make him come around but dont give up hope... the happy rat is in there you just have to find him.

I just read part of that rat immersion post on Rat Forum. He's got some good points but wow, he's dead wrong with aggressive rats. First of all animals don't have the ability to hate. Second of all, they don't want to dominate humans, ever.

Hi everybody. I REALLY appreciate your support, I would be feeling pretty bad right now without it, and wondering if I had made a mistake in adopting these little guys. It's never a mistake to rescue a neglected animal, give it a secure place and a chance to understand and be understood.

Some info: The adoption counselor pegged Mimo & Castielle's ages at around 1.5, but I think that they might be younger than that. They are bouncy, playful, climby and rambunctious, lean without an ounce of squish. They also do a lot of posturing with each other and seem to only really like each other when they are in their nightly rat pile.

Mimo spent a quiet afternoon in his house, grooming himself and being pretty forlorn, lost and confused. He is just the prettiest little rat. We gave him his space and did not enter it, allowing him to come to us if he felt curious (and rewarded him for doing so).

We had playtime as usual this evening, and gently carried Mimo from a little tube that he was stretched out in. Mimo was as calm and reserved as usual. He played in the huts, houses and tubes in the play area, and whenever he approached us gently, we gave him his favorite treats. There was some mouthing, but no aggression at all. He climbed on us, sniffed our faces and enjoyed his treats and playtime.

Now we are afraid to pick him up, when it was really no big thing just yesterday night. We lure him into a tube with a treat, and while he eats it, transport him back to the cage. We don't offer him our fingers while he is in the cage (with Castielle it seems to be no biggie), but he does climb on our forearms if we lean into the cage. He has never, ever bitten, nipped or even mouthed anything except fingers. Even at his most aggressive, he still just curiously sniffed our faces.

After playtime, Mimo is not hidden away in his house, but asleep in a little pile of tissues that he made for himself. I feel like he's feeling a little less confused. I hope hope HOPE that we can help him and that he will be a lovable lap rat, because he is just so freaking cute. I'm no rat whisperer, but I still think that he has a gentle, calm soul under whatever he's got going on right now. I have watched him brux and boggle on several occasions over the last week.

If the aggression continues, we will neuter both boys. Maybe this is also a little tiff that's made worse by all the transition and change in his life recently - abandonment, poor fostering, and now new, weird owners who feed him treats, pick him up and make cryptic noises at him! :)

Joanne, I would be curious to heard your opinion regarding what points Rat Daddy had right and the ones he had wrong - Victoria (my super friendly adoption counselor) recommended your advice above all others regarding rat behavior. I also agree that animals are completely innocent and can't feel anything like hate (although they are super capable of love!). Maybe threatened and mistrustful, but hate is such a strong word.

I am sorry you are having a rough time with Mimo, especially after looking forward to the good side of having rats. I second what others have said - this is not normal behavior.

Keep your chin up. If all else fails, a neuter can be done, and should work wonders. I've had a lot of problem boys - they all come from backgrounds where a loving home was so uncertain for them. It takes times to reach them. Keep working with Mimo. It may take time, but he will learn to love you just as much as you love him.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

I answered on your rat forum post, so you might want to check there. I went more into the behaviours of a hormonal rat boy.

I actually left Rat Forum because of Rat Daddy's advice, I found a lot of it was wrong, and I couldn't refute it all as I just didn't have the time. Whomever yells loudest and most, MUST know what they are talking about. :/

Sometimes you can work with hormonal males, depending on how bad they are, some are just mild cases, but sometimes they do need surgical intervention.

What Rat Daddy recommends is actually called flooding the animal which can be detrimental to any pet. Staying in the pets face when the pet is scared, worried, anxious can actually cause the pet to shut down or worse yet develop undesirable coping mechanism and huge mistrust of his "parents". We recommend the down the shirt trick. Which leaves the rat alone in a dark cozy environment with your smell close by.

The good points are that rats are intelligent and should be treated as such. But this thing about being alpha with any pet, that's all old school. New scientific studies have shown that pets bred and raised with humans don't wish to be alpha over humans. They will display alpha behaviour with humans because they are animals, it's up to the humans to us human ways to discourage that. Not become a rat and be alpha to the rat.

We should all treat pets with positive reinforcement, giving treats when they do something desirable. Training is also very good, it stimulates their minds and bonds your relationship with each interactions.

Rats go through a hormonal stage filled with anxiety, frustration and loss of control. They will bite out of fear, not because they want to be your alpha but because the situation is scary to them. Their hormones are telling them to either fight or flight. Neutering removes all that stress and turns an overly hormonal/territorial rat into the pet he really should be. Take an angry teenager and remove that teen's stress completely and that teen will be the person he is without the stress.

One of the first things I noticed is that Rat Daddy keeps calling them "packs"...they are definitely NOT packs, rats live in colonies which are really different. Packs roam their territory, colonies hunker down and live out of a small area.

IF you want to understand wild rat behaviours first then you need to read these articles.

http://www.ratbehavior.org/WildRats.htm

That Rat Daddy is using Cesar Millan vocabulary and technique which are all out dated. UGH!!! Why am I not surprised he's on the Rat Forum.

Speak of Cesar Millan, I've never liked him. I don't believe in treating my dogs like a robot whom listen to my every whims and whines - I love them playful and happy. Mine are my fur babies and not my so-called followers.

Back on the topic, I agree. Your rat sounds scared and the last you'd want to do is to force him too much.

Don't forget that too much of anything backfires.

You've been doing it all great, so please don't be so hard on yourself; relax yourself and take things slow :)

I don't mean to cause problems and strife, I'm just a confused new rat owner with a difficult boy. :(

I don't know much about Cesar Milan or his techniques, but in general, like fad diets, fad animal training sounds like a temporary and/or poor solution. All I am interested in is providing the best solution to the little being in my care, and being new, I don't have a lot of context, but I know for sure that I don't want to catalyze any feuds between rat lovers. From looking at Jo's website and reading about Rat Daddy's experience, it is clear to me that both of you love rats and want them to be happy.

I don't think that Mimo was particularly upset by his experience with us yesterday, and he has not bitten since, but since he is new in our house, we will give him some time to get used to it and us and take things more slowly. Hopefully he has realized that biting is not a behavior that we can tolerate, and the love and trust will come with time and attention. He has a cagemate who exhibits good behaviors (curiosity, friendliness, gentleness) and who is a good example.

Mimo shows a lot of signs that his hormones are getting the best of him (which actually relieves me - he just doesn't seem like one of those "screwed-up" rats!), which was actually not at the front of my mind during our agonistic encounter simply because I thought he was a lot older than maybe he is, since I don't have the experience to gauge his age. He doesn't show any signs of fear towards us and readily explores us curiously, but he is a more calm, shy rat than his cagemate Castielle. I really don't think that Mimo is afraid. Maybe upset by hormones and fast-paced change (and I honestly think he doesn't like the fact that we change the cage liners every day and goes crazy marking the place up again), and upset that we are in his space, but I don't think he is afraid of Steven or myself.

It was almost like a switch flipped - one minute, he was puffed up and biting, the next, lying down and accepting neck skritches. Sounds very moody and hormonal!

We will see how things go for the next few weeks. Maybe I was OVERLY emotional and not understanding enough! :)

Rat bites should never be tolerated but flooding the rat or any animal is not the answer. Animals when flooded with what to them is undesirable will cause the animal to shut down. To become numb in the situation but when no longer in that situation, will become himself again which means he could bite again. The way he went at you, that is an aggressive rat. It's in his genes so please be careful with him, he could set off again.
You could try trust training if you don't want to neuter him. Respect his environment by not going into the cage while he's in there. Also, don't clean out his liners everyday, do it ever second day. He needs to smell himself in his habitat.
And please don't think you started anything between two rat lovers. But now that I have seen his misinformation,I'd like to know where does he get his information with regards to rats who are not even pack animals. They live in colonies, they don't hunt together, they don't even forage together. They go about their business, even sharing females. There is usually one patriarchal male and one matriarchal female.

I should also mention that pet rats don't live or act like wild rats. They have been bred to live with humans, to interact with us and be our companions. We shouldn't treat them like wild rats, but respect where their instincts come from.
I used to be from the whole dominance pro camp but I've since seen the better way of parenting our pets.

Thank you, Joanne. The dominance behavior does not come naturally to me.

I spoke with the exotic vet's office in my area. The technician was alarmed at the behavior I described and recommended a neuter (naturally, but I think it is a good option). What do you think about having one neutered rat together with one intact rat?

Reading at RatBehavior.com, it seems that a neutered rat is both much less aggressive and less targeted for aggression by intact males. It is quite expensive in the Montreal area to have a rat neutered (around $170, with a pre-exam required at $70), and if we had to choose one at the present time, we would choose Mimo. The vet's office wants to make absolutely sure that it's not something else that caused the aggression, and she pointed out that he is only aggressive towards human hands. She found this a very unnatural behavior in a domestic male rat, aggressive and hormonal or not.

What is the best course of action? This is our first time owning rats, and I feel quite overwhelmed. Mimo may need more advanced, experienced rat parents to give him the care he needs. I have some selfish fears, too, about how stressful it would be for me to keep a vicious pet in my house, how much angst and upset it would cause. I have already taken in a neglected, abused cat, and though she now loves us and it took her 6 years of careful care and patience to approach us with affection, keeping such a frightened, nervous animal is already difficult. She will always be frightened and nervous, which is very different from always being aggressive.

:sad3: :sad3: :sad3:

Back