Velo's Intro Thread [Advice pls?]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to sleep by the rats when I did move in. I still will sleep by rats taht I have in the playpen to listen to them overnight. I like to open the cage up after cleaning, let them run in and out of the cage together, put a ramp up there so they can get n and out, watch them for a while and then close them up later. ewwwwwerrrd that was kitty talk for you can do it. I guess oliver wanted to help me type.

Well I just started. They all went for the cage which I expected. Rocky is exhibiting bossy behavior, lots of sidling. His guard hairs are up a lot too. Not sure if I should worry about that?
He's out with me now eating, while the 3 girls play under the fleece in the top of the cage.

How bad what it be if I don't do this today?

It's not because of them, they seem okay enough (cept rocky being a bully and he also gets really confused when they run around under the fleece and tries to hold on to them) I don't know if I'm ultra confident it will go well with closed doors... he's pretty consistent with his attitude currently.

But Fred had a really rough day at work and he said it's fine but I can tell he really wants my company and I'm feeling ultra guilty. ):

Are open cage intros a thing or is that just silly? \:
I'd not be able to do 24 hour watch until next Saturday but I can keep doing intros after work.

I feel so conflicted. I want to do this but I feel bad for the poor hubby. ):
They're all sleeping now (in different spots phooey).
I'm just gonna sit in here as long as I can and if guilt eats me up I will separate the cage and we will do open cage intros. At least it won't ruin anything if I do it that way. Thanks for posting that. ^_^

How are yours going?

This is a new phase so it will be a attitude from him. He will have his hairs up. YOu can do it whenever you are comfortable. No rush for intros or when to move in. You can wait till next week and do it early on then you can have more time to watch them. if you know someone with a baby monitor borrow it and set it up, you will be able to hear screams and go check on them. :)

Baby monitor is a good idea! I've set up camp for now. Fred told me he really wants me to try to do it tonight, my whole life has been intros besides work and he'd rather I get it done sooner haha.

I'll see how it goes though... he's still being a bit of a butt, wrapping and boxing and sidling anytime a girl comes near. Pretty cool to have all 4 in the cage at once though!!

Build a blanket fort and tell fred you two are camping in the rat room. Watch scary movies and eat popcorn :)

I think he realized he can watch his survival shows which I hate and always complain during so he's happier haha. I told him to come hang in the ratroom with me but he won't. XD
I have popcorn and cop dramas though!

It sounds like things are going normal for you.
Same with mine, some of the older rats are being right bullies which is scaring the crap out of me. I keep running to the cage and yelling at them. lol

Lol!! as long as it's normal I guess it's okay then. They're all sleeping which is annoying because they won't be sleeping when I'm sleeping... well of course they won't but still.
Wish they'd wake up and get the rough housery out of the way hehe.

I'm excited to do fruit/veggie feeding time and see how that goes.

Ya Pika will be running in it I'm sure. I have two in there right now but i can't remove the one it's literally stuck on there.... 0_0

Not sure what to think.
Rizzy was under the fleece, just her head poking out and Rocky shoved his head in there and they were perfectly still for a while no clue what he was doing but then there was yelping and jumping and some blood came from rocky mouth. It's not Rizzys cause some more came out after I separated and she looked fine. Maybe he bit his tongue or she did???

Oh now I see a small scratch on his lower lip. I have them separated for now. Not sure if I should keep going (the old stop if there's blood rule??)

Poor Rocky - perhaps he put his nose where it didn't belong. My intros went pretty good tonight just waiting for videos to upload. Sorry I have no advice haven't had a successful one yet..... Good luck, but perhaps you should keep them apart for the night for your sanity.

I think he must have. I was shocked that it was his blood!!
He seemed fine so I'm at it again. He's hyper as all hell, running around and beating up the girls. The girls are like wtf bro that's not how we play here???
Honestly I dont know if I will be able to sleep with them being like this. Think I'll be too heart attacky.

Anyways glad to hear your intro went pretty good!!! Anything other than bad is a major win in my opinion haha! I'll have to come stalk your videos I have nothing but time tonight. :p

Back