Urgent need help! 1 day old babies rejected!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theratlady said:
moms often appear to "abandon" their babies at some point in the first 12 to 24 hours because they go into heat and are looking to get bred again. leave her be and she will go back to the babies. esp if they have milk bellies.

I didn't know that.
Thanks for the info., :joy:

Thansk everybody. She hasn't went near them & ther starting to look cold :( :(
I went out at 8am (it's not 10.37am here) and got all that I would need. I already have syringes, baby bottles, toy baby bottles, and so on. Mum just had one hour playing with her sisters and acted as normal. I put her back in with the babies but she ran straight out. I let her have 5 extra minutes, but she ran into her main cage (which she hasn't lived in much between when I got her and now! :? ) and hid in the igloo. She really does NOT like being a mother... :gaah:
So I'm going to try feed the babies right now :doh: :doh: I'm not convinced that they will even drink.

There's 9 not 10. Fuzzy group pic....[spoiler:3a2s63ie]sorry they wriggle around so much![/spoiler:3a2s63ie]

babypicturesa096.jpg

Using a toy babies bottle with kitten lactol they manage to drink that :happydance: They finished two bottles (it's about the size of my hand though, or a bit smaller) which probably proves she hadn't fed them. She walked over the bed while I was feeding them but she just ignored them. She wants back in her old cage? :sad3:

They look plump, not scrawny...they would look terribly scrawny if they weren't eating.

These are newborns...I was worried Sweetie wasn't feeding either since it took 24 hours to see a milk band on them...see the wee on 3rd from the right? That little runt died soon afterwards.

Handfeeding a newborn litter is going to be very very difficult and you will lose most if not all of them. Your best bet is a foster mom.

It is CRITICAL to encourage them to eliminate after they eat...if you don't they will die of the milk/formula going rotten in their bellies.

Good luck!
Sweetiesbubs2aug16DOB.jpg

Well I do hope so, but I've been leaving a camera and she just sits there. I did make sure they went to the loo after feeding, don't worry. That picture makes them look very chunky, this one is a bit better, but they may still appear to be eating?

babypicturesa003.jpg

She doesn't go near them at all. How long is too long, it's been over 24 hours since the birth. She fed them and then left them.

Those bubs look nice, pink and VERY healthy hun.
I'd give her some time... maybe just leave her for the day. Like if you had to go to work, you wouldn't be able to check in on them until later in the day. Maybe given the privacy, and quiet, also knowing that you're NOT around to take her out, she might come around and feed those bubs?

She is seeming very distressed. The baby is visably dead...... I don't know why, it's the chubbiest of them all. :cry3:

I shall leave her a few hours, I don't know what else I can do, :(

She may not know what to do. Wondering if putting her in a small space with the babies for a short time where she couldn't leave so they could nurse would help.

Edit: as others have said, there may have been something wrong with the baby that died.
I am very sorry for your loss. :hugs:

I'm sorry about the little one that passed. It may have had a defect of some sort that was not visible. :(

SQ said:
She may not know what to do. Wondering if putting her in a small space with the babies for a short time where she couldn't leave so they could nurse would help.
I would try this hun...
I'm sorry one has passed, it's not uncommon for one to pass unfortunatly. Like Moon said it could have had something wrong with it.
But I would seriously try what SQ has suggested...
OR
maybe PMing someone with alot of recue baby experience... like lilspaz.... :wink2:

A lot has happened. She stayed away from the dead baby and every other baby. I checked them and the milkbands had got smaller. I got out my biggest hamster cage and put her in there with them, it's one level, but I put in her igloo and bowls and attatched her bottle (tight squeeze). She just went on top of the igloo. I took the igloo out, feeling cruel but wanting to do anything to help these babies, and noticed that out of the 9, another had passed away.... :(
She just climbed around the small bars, in circles, not stopping. I brought her out and checked her over :( , worried she was unwell. With no signs, back in. But she wouldn't go near them, and their milkbands looked even smaller. So I fed them once, and did what needed done, and they took it really well off of a toy babies bottle. She's been in that cage for a few hours, still no interest. Should I split them or not?

Even if she never nurses them, she may develop an interest in them. If she isn't harming them, I would keep her with them until you can get a foster mom and litter. Moms do a lot of things for babies besides feeding them.

Guess you will need to feed them and get them to elimate every two hours, 24 hours a day ... with 8 babies it sounds like a nonstop job.
Hope you can find a foster mom. Sounds like their best hope would be for you to find a nursing mom with babies near their age. If you do, you will need to check all babies to ensure they are getting milk as rats only have 12 nipples, so you will need to make sure all are getting fed. Rats can sucessfully nurse and raise 26 babies.

They may be dying because their mom isn't caring for them or there may be something seriously wrong with some or all of them.

Hoping all the remaining babies make it.
Very very sorry for your loss.

Thanks a lot SQ. I can't find anybody near me, 2 breeders turned me down, saying no way they would let any pet shop babies near theirs, one rescue said sorry but although we have babies the same age yours are a big health rescue, and the vets are unable to find anything. I even asked the local pet shop if they had any nursing mothers at the back I would be able to take home and they said no, just the rodent mill ( :( :( ) so no luck anywhere so far. I don't think I'll find anything :S , but I shan't give up home yet. My girl is extremely distressed near them, she doesn't heat them or pay attention and she is trying to go to sleep as far as possible away from them and they wriggle over since the cage is so small and she kicks them and moves them away from her in disgust :( Is it fair to leave her where she doesn't want to be? I've been doing every 2 hours already with them and she couldn't care less, she runs back to her sisters-cage and stays there until I drag her out and put her in with them again and back to her being super-unahppy. :(

You are there and see what is happening, we just try to guess from the info. we are given so you would know what is best.
From what you are describing it sounds like they would be better off without her at this point in time. Maybe she will take an interest when they are older, or not.

You mentioned something about mill rats. Would you be able to get a mill mom and babies?
I assume you mean a breeding mill.

Back