Unknown growth on 10mo girl

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Megan Fleischman, Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2019 #1

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Our rat Cocoa has a growth that I just noticed last night. It feels pretty soft when palpated, but is in a location that makes me think it may be a mammary tumor . It’s under her right armpit. How can I distinguish between an abscess (this seems to have appeared somewhat suddenly-in the last two or three days) and a tumor? At only about 10 months old, Isn't she a bit young for tumors?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Oct 19, 2019 #2

schpier

schpier

schpier

An abscess will cause obvious pain! mammary tumors do not. With an abscess the rat will obviously show signs of distress
    Essential to take rat to see an experienced vet.

3. Oct 19, 2019 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Yeah, my guess is mammary tumour.

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

I’ve had rats with tumors before, it’s so sad. The first one (when I was in 4th grade) we had operated on and she died recovering from the surgery. The most recent one with a tumor I did not wan to lose her to surgery so she lived with her tumor until it was as big as a golf ball. Eventually she stopped eating and I had her PTS. I’m wondering with this one since she is so young and the tumor relatively small if I should have it removed? What if she gets another tumor? Ack! Poor Cocoa.