Tucker Is Gone :( **Pathology Results back**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratty Momma said:
Found out some more infomation:

Tucker was bad last night with sucked in sides and jusy lying down.
This a.m. he wasn't too bad due to having the IBP, but still had sucked in sides.
While at the vet all day he was perfect ..running around and eating ..but my vet said he did notice that he never drank or pee'd.
When I went down to get him, my vet took his temp with a therometer up his bum, his temp was normal ..he gave him a shot for infection just incase there was any infection and gave me some metacam just incase.
When I got him home ..he was completly lifeless ..and thats when it started

My vet says this same thing happens to g pigs, when the neuter is healing, a piece of abdominal fat attaches itself to anything thats near it ..but he hasnt seen it in rats before ..and he has had his fair share of rat neuters ..its so confusing.

This is why I don't neuter any of my boy piggies - it's quite a big operation for them compared to rats / other animals.

This is tragic and confusing for you indeed... I am so sorry again.

Ratty Momma said:
lilspaz68 said:
Does your vet use Isoflurane or an injectable?

For what? shot? Injectable

To anesthetize...rats need isoflurane or sevoflurane but some vets have used injectable cocktails like ketamine, etc and these are more dangerous for rats as you cannot reverse them quickly like you can with gas.

Just finished reading this tread and can't express how sorry I am for all the heart ache you have gone though. :hugs:
Poor Tucker.....RIP little man :heart:

Tuckers pathology results came back !!

Apprently there was a dead piece of fat inside Tucker, that was bleeding that day at the vet!
Nothing was attached to the fat, nothing was twisted, nothing was done wrong with closeing him up from the neuter.
My vet is part of a vet forum called VIM (sp?) ..he has asked everyone on the fourm, he has contacted 100's of people and still has no answers ...
There has been two cases of it happening in bunnies being spayed and one in a male rabbit (abdominnal neuter) ..but nothing has been said about why it happend.

Tucker did not have an abdominal neuter done.
Most vets remove the fat pad inside the testicles and close off the inguinal ring that leads into the body cavity. My vet leaves it inside for less trauma to the rat and the tissues.

He states he is not happy enough just knowing what happens, he wants to know WHY ..and he says he will not do anyther neuter on a rat until he dose ..he almost broke down right in front of me ..he said he wants to know if this was a fault of his so that it dose not happen ever again!

It must be hard for him not to know. He is very conscientious, and I hope he does not become afraid to take any risks. Surgery always has risks, no matter what the skill and knowledge of the surgeon.

Godmother said:
It must be hard for him not to know. He is very conscientious, and I hope he does not become afraid to take any risks. Surgery always has risks, no matter what the skill and knowledge of the surgeon.

He really takes things to heart, he will continue to neuter rat's ..once he finds the answers his looking for!

Back