Toronto, ON-Dr. Sam Munn - Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a veterinary office right around the corner from my house that I was going to research into about if they took Rats(I recently switched my cat, Luna, over there just because something about her other Vet didn't settle well with me... Great guy, dont get me wrong, just a feeling. Plus, I dont like how far away it was). But after reading this thread, I think I'm going to look into my Rats(when I get them) being taken care of at his office instead.

If Dr.Munn is as good as everyone raves, then so be it! Lol!

How much are exams and most common procedures at his office? So I am well aware beforehand of getting my Ratties. :giggle:

victoria said:
This week Lizzie's sister Cloud developed a tumor and I went to my exotic vet (I now live in Montreal) and they want me to have Cloud fast the night before (they don't want her to choke on the food stored in her cheeks) and keep her hospitalized for at least one night after the surgery. I appreciated Dr. Munn's experience with rats before, both as a doctor but also as a rat owner, but now even more so.

You must really miss Dr. Munn, all right! Imagine the other clinic asking you to fast the poor rat overnight... and what was that about food stored in the cheeks? :?:

I'm not sure how much he charges but I believe it is approx. $60 for the initial exam. Procedures can vary widely - in my experience the anesthesia is the most expensive part and different rats react differently. In the case of tumors, it can also depend on the size and location of the lump. When I took Lizzie in I was quoted $350-450 for the initial exam and surgery but I ended up paying $300 inc. tax because she was really receptive to the anesthesia and she didn't need antibiotics as she was already taking them for a respiratory infection. Call them at 416 778 6666 and ask. They may also give a discount if you bring in more than one rat at once. I know it's expensive (relative to the cost of buying rats at a pet store, not in comparison to other vets) but it's well worth it to have a good vet to catch potential problems early and treat them effectively.

On another note, I'm happy to report that Cloud has recovered really well from her surgery. We're just waiting for her hair to start growing back :)

Vic

I'm taking my rat in on Monday for tumor removal at this vet. It will cost $273. I personally didn't make a big deal out of the price but my mom was sort of against it cause she says, "it's just a rat". But I feel it's the right thing to do. And it's not even my rat, it's hers.

I just hope the tumor doesn't come back.

Mr. Honeycomb is getting his balls removed!! Could not be more pleased, no more 680g sumo-bully!! And by Dr. Munn, of course, on Thursday.

They told me 60ish for the pre-exam, since he hasn't been in before, then about 200 for the surgery, but that includes all meds and everything. That about what you normally pay, Shelagh? (I imagine it is, and given how Mr. H. is behaving, it's damn cheap to solve such a huuuuuuuge problem!!)

The tumor is near his hind leg and it's less that an inch in diameter I think. How come yours is $200 but mine is $273? His name is scooter and he's a white rat. He's 2 years old.

dan2333 said:
The tumor is near his hind leg and it's less that an inch in diameter I think. How come yours is $200 but mine is $273? His name is scooter and he's a white rat. He's 2 years old.

Dan, Moonkist is having a neuter done, not a tumor removal. That's why there is a price difference. You have chosen to go to one of the BEST vets around. He's well worth it.

Tumor removals are always trickier than neutering (especially male rats, since they so thoughtful to have their balls just dangling out there for a convenient snippity-doo-dah-day). Tumor removal always means cutting into the area, removing the tumor, sometimes verifying it hasn't spread.... recovery time's gonna be longer too.

I dealt with two tumor removals for a very sweet girl rat I lost a year ago, her name was Princess. Believe me, the 273 Dr. Munn quoted you is NOTHING compared to what I had to pay for Princess' surgeries (different vet that liked fleecing loving owners).

I just heard a horror story from a woman recently who had a friend with two female cats that she wanted spayed and was quoted $1,000 at a vet in Markham to do both.
Believe me, fleecing pet owners is very common by vets in and around Toronto, and you can count on Dr. Munn never doing it.

Vanessa said:
I just heard a horror story from a woman recently who had a friend with two female cats that she wanted spayed and was quoted $1,000 at a vet in Markham to do both.
I shouldn't be surprised by this... and yet I am.

I just brought Scooter home from surgery. He's doing well. But he's tired.

But I am worried because he might pull out his stitches. The vet told us to just give him some food or w/e to distract him from picking his stitches but we can't watch him 24 hours a day.

How do I completely prevent him from picking at his stitches?

Daniel

dan2333 said:
I just brought Scooter home from surgery. He's doing well. But he's tired.

But I am worried because he might pull out his stitches. The vet told us to just give him some food or w/e to distract him from picking his stitches but we can't watch him 24 hours a day.

How do I completely prevent him from picking at his stitches?

Daniel

Scooter was given a metacam injection which should keep the discomfort at bay for 24 hours (pain is why most rats pick at their stitches). Did he send you home with any metacam?

No. Lastnight he was picking at the incision a bit but the wound is still sealed and now he's not picking at it anymore. I changed the bedding and just put an old sweater in there so the bedding wouldn't itch his wound or skin.

If there are any problems, I'll just bring him back to the vet. Were we supposed to get metacam? I don't think his wound hurts that much anymore.

Daniel

If it's a normal knitted sweater be careful because he could get his toes caught in the loops. T's best to use something like fleece.

I haven't put him back with his brother yet. I really want to though cause I think they're kind of lonely. There is no consensus as to whether you should keep them separate or not. I think I will put them back together by tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I'm pretty satisfied with the results of the surgery. Also, I'm glad they had Oxbow's Regal Rat food because I heard it was the best for rats because it doesn't contain corn and it's very nutritious.

He's still tired and he's lost some weight. I am still a bit worried about him.

Believe me, fleecing pet owners is very common by vets in and around Toronto, and you can count on Dr. Munn never doing it.

The reason I left my vet for Dr. Munn was that my old vet quoted me $997-1394 for a tumor removal. I'd paid less to have 2 rats spayed and have a tumor removed when I lived in Peterborough. I felt horrible, I knew it was necessary and that Lizzie had a good chance of recovering, but I was considering not doing it because of the cost and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Back