Toronto, ON-Dr. Sam Munn - Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Dr. Sam Munn
Greenwood Park Animal Hospital
1041 Gerrard Street East (just E. of Pape/Gerrard)
Toronto, ON
M4M 1Z6

http://www.drmunn.ca

(416)778-6666

Treats dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, guineapigs, chinchillas, ferrets, rats, etc
Member of the AEMV (Assn of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians) and absolutely adores his patients.

He has done neuters, spays, tumour removals, amputations, treatments for illnesses/conditions (URI, UTI, PT, Pyoderma, eye issues, etc)

The new clinic is much more extensive than his old one, but his prices are still the same. New staff as well. He lives in apartments above the clinic so is able to keep an eye on overnight guests.

I lost Dr. Munn's email to me in a computer mishap. Can someone please confirm this phone number? I called today and had the wrong number.
Thanks!

Forget it, Dr. Munn has it on the website, it is 778-6666...
Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

1041 Gerrard Street East, Toronto, ON M4M 1Z6
Dr. Sam Munn
Phone: (416) 778 -6666
Fax: (416) 778 -6688
[email protected]

I decided to "take the bull by the horns" (ie. my fear of highway driving AND driving in the streets of the city of Toronto, which to someone who was raised in suburbia are something akin to goat paths) and took the baby-TEA's in to see Dr. Munn yesterday morning. Keemun and Rooi have gotten a bit "sniffly" but even more importantly, I didn't think Keemun's two, top teeth looked quite right to me ... I was concerned that they weren't wearing properly and didn't want to futz around with my regular "exotic" vet, who's attitude towards my boys has been lukewarm at best. What can I say? Dr. Munn is freakin' AMAZING! I live in Maple (well north of the city limits) was born and raised in the suburbs where there is no such thing as a one way street, the streets are wide and parking is plentiful ... I am a nervous highway driver, I would rather face a 1,000 Jason's then tackle the DVP during rush hour, so taking the boys to see him at his brand new, beautiful facility at Pape and Gerrard yesterday morning was a bit of a white knuckle drive for me ... I would do it again in a heartbeat ... during a raging snowstorm! He and his wondeful staff were well worth every anxiety attack I had during that long, tortuous drive! I am completely sold on his abilities! He spend a considerable amount of time with ALL of them and gave them THOROUGH examinations! Keemun and Rooi are still a bit skittish, were very stressed and did not enjoy their exams but he was wonderfully patient with them, while getting the job done. His bedside manner is like something out of Hollywood, he was chatty, pleasant and personable, at no time did I ever feel rushed and best of all he made me feel (for the first time ever) that my boys really MATTERED, that they weren't just ... rats.

If you are looking for a veterinarian who has a special interest in exotics or if anyone is sitting on the fence about switching vets ... look no further! Dr. Munn is a treasure!

Thank you lilspaz for recommending him! I only wish it hadn't taken me so long!

Yay! It's so nice to see this post, congrats on making the scary journey, I'm glad it was worth it for you. If you ever need help with emergency transport let me know, I drive right by Woodbridge (which is near Maple right? on my way to and from work, and work is only 10 minute from Greenwood. I often drop critters off at the clinic before work and pick them up after.

I'm so glad that things worked out so well for you. The new practice is very spiffy.
I remember how reluctant I was to see Dr. Munn, I was pleased with my vet and didn't think he could be as good as people said he was.
Then, I was forced to take a couple of rats to him, when he was at his first practice, because my vet was on holidays. I have never looked back - my response was the same as yours.
I always said that if other vets made the effort to fake a quarter of his genuine caring, they would be way better off. Dr. Munn really and truly loves all the creatures that he sees and cares for, that is why he is always able to make you feel that he cares for them as much as you do. Plus, he is quick to offer you a range of options when she can, she is knowledgeable and you don't ever feel as if he is going through the 'small animal checklist' that other vets often use. He does his homework, especially on the rats, and appreciates when his clients do their homework too. He never reacts threatened when people come to him with information that they have researched, and will always discuss it with you and let you know if it is something that can be tried with your rats.
I bet he was thrilled that he had another caring rat owner in to him. I am sure that he sees many neglected small animals, and I know that he loves seeing good rat owners come his way.

"He never reacts threatened when people come to him with information that they have researched, and will always discuss it with you and let you know if it is something that can be tried with your rats."

That's a huge thing for me. I wish he was closer.

Poor Dr Munn gets pinned down whenever I come in. I ask him about anything I can think of, and we discuss different things, it's really wonderful. :D He will never act threatened by a someone who is trying to learn or has info to impart. We learned all about Pyoderma together with my Selene...very uncommon with rats.

Vanessa said:
I'm so glad that things worked out so well for you. The new practice is very spiffy. I remember how reluctant I was to see Dr. Munn, I was pleased with my vet and didn't think she could be as good as people said she was.
Then, I was forced to take a couple of rats to her, when she was at her first practice, because my vet was on holidays. I have never looked back - my response was the same as yours. I always said that if other vets made the effort to fake a quarter of her genuine caring, they would be way better off. Dr. Munn really and truly loves all the creatures that she sees and cares for, that is why she is always able to make you feel that she cares for them as much as you do.
Meeting Dr. Munn just served to illustrate how frustrated and dissatisfied I've been with the quality of care my boys had been receiving from my "exotic" vet. I'm completely sold on his abilities! For the first time ever, I didn't have to thrust my pet at the professional who was supposed to be examining them. Nor did I have to argue, fuss or fight about which antibiotic to prescribe, what concentration to compound it at and how long a course it should be. I also didn't feel compelled to rush right back and consult the members of this Forum to make sure I had been given the right thing, at the right dosage, for the proper length of time. Amazing as this may seem, I felt like he was actually interested in my fur family - a totally alien concept I had never experienced before from any veterinary health professional - isn't that sad? He was like one of those fictional veterinarians you read about in books or see on TV! It was a totally positive experience! Dr. Munn and his wonderful staff were well worth every anxiety attack I had during that long, nail biting drive! From the minute I walked into his clinic, late for my appointment, a flustered wreck who very badly had to go to the bathroom, his kind, understanding receptionist quickly took me under her wing and helped calm my shattered nerves. She cheerfully wiped out my carrier, which was a mess because apparently the baby-TEA's did nothing but go to the bathroom for the entire trip down and then very kindly prepared a delicious snack for them. I was completely gob-smacked!
Vanessa said:
Plus, she is quick to offer you a range of options when she can, she is knowledgeable and you don't ever feel as if she is going through the 'small animal checklist' that other vets often use. She does her homework, especially on the rats, and appreciates when her clients do their homework too. She never reacts threatened when people come to her with information that they have researched, and will always discuss it with you and let you know if it is something that can be tried with your rats.
That is soooo what I'm going through right now with my dog vet who is not at all open to clients who do their homework or ask for a range of options. She feels totally threatened by my knowledge of the idiosyncracies of my breed and the atmosphere is horrible, you can cut the tension between us with a knife!
Vanessa said:
I bet she was thrilled that she had another caring rat owner in to her. I am sure that she sees many neglected small animals, and I know that she loves seeing good rat owners come her way.
I hope so. After all, it's a partnership, we as pet parents and they as their veterinarians, both have very important roles to play in the care of our animal companions.

I'm so glad you finally went to him Gina. I know you were always reluctant to, but didn't I tell you that he is just simply the BEST? I love when he grabs a tissue to pick up stray poos that fall out of the carrier, LOL

Let me know next time you are coming through Markham and we can hit up Cinnabon again ;)

You're so right! How I wish I had done it sooner! Took the baby-tea's to see Dr. Munn again this morning (just for a re-check). He was just as awesome as he was the first time and the boys all got a clean bill of health!

The drive is no where near as scarey the second time around :giggle:

You got it, moon! I'm ALWAYS up for a Cinnabon!!!

Back