Toronto, ON-Dr. Sam Munn - Greenwood Park Animal Hospital

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was recommended to me by a colleague who went there with her cat when her vet was out of town and she was really impressed with the clinic.

I like that this clinic answered my email despite being closed today.

I was quoted $59.00 examination fee for the rats.

Rat Neuters $ 193.85 + gst. this cost includes pain medication and antibiotics (Baytril) for 5 days.

And if anyone else is interested to know, they charge $89.00 for cats, including shots and stuff. Just thought I'd include that since I asked, LOL.

I'm calling tomorrow to make an appointment for Al's neuter.

Al has an apt with Dr.Munn first thing on the 26th. I was told it would be 193 again for the neuter, plus another fee of 59 to examine him...

Has anyone else paid this much? I mean, I know Dr.Munn is really good, and I know I'm a bit unexperienced in this, but I always hear people saying they paid 90 dollars etc and the difference makes me kinda O_O.

Those people might not be from Toronto. I find in Toronto, the general cost of vet care to be slightly higher compared to what some of our other posters get. In addition, some of our other posters may have agreements with their vets because they are rescues. I think that's about what I paid for Davros' neuter.

That's true, I guess.

I didn't realize that when I was thinking about it. Though,I think Dr.Munn's examination fee is reasonable which I like(and compared to others I've asked. 9_9)

Update on Dr. Munn's prices for rats:

Full exam: $65 + tax
Spay: $304.03 + tax
Neuter: $191.83 + tax

I'm not sure whether the neuter/spay prices include medication.

Oh dear, now there's a notice up on the website...poor poor Sam. :sad3:

As some of you know, Sam has been quite ill since late April. He’s currently awaiting surgery. Thanks very much from all of us here for your caring concern, patience, and good wishes.

All being well, Sam plans to return to the clinic, starting on a part-time basis as his recuperation permits, on Tuesday May 24. In the meantime, Drs. Barbara Houghton and Julia Hammond will continue to offer veterinary care at the clinic.
If Sam is your regular or preferred vet, you might consider seeing Barb or Julia in the interim, as Sam will likely be significantly backlogged with appointments.
When Sam does start back, he will give priority to (triaging) sick animals. In other words, appointments for routine care such as inoculations or heartworm testing may be delayed – another reason to consider booking with Barb or Julia.

We all look forward to Sam being back 100%, doing what he loves best. Thank you again for your continued understanding and patience.

We saw Dr. Munn for the first time in mid July. Didn't realize he had been off sick until I later read the info on the clinic website.

We had no problems booking an appt for our rat. Unfortunately, the diagnosis was a pituitary tumour and we had to have her euthanized.

I took the little guy in my avatar to see Dr Munn yesterday. What a fantastic vet! He took his time with me and was terrific with Dale. You can definitely tell this man loves animals. I never felt rushed with him and the techs/admin staff are equally as nice. Just wanted to say kudos to the forum for mentioning this clinic and pointing me in the right direction. :thumbup:

I called the clinic today to book Inca's appointment, and found out that one day a week, Dr. Markus Luckwaldt of Amherst Vet clinic will be working at Greenwood (I believe Thursdays).

Update on the neuter price for those interested: Peter's neuter here was $355+tax, including medications, anesthetic, iv fluids and such.
And for Fred's full exam, it was $77 plus tax.
The medications I got were for both of them, the baytril was $20, the doxy (fred only) was 31, and metacam was $35. I don't think it would have been cheaper if it had been for just one though.

I've been in there way too much lately though. I had a different vet for my dog, but they didn't do rats. But after bringing ratties there, I switched over for my dog too. I've taken my dog to three different vet offices in Toronto, and Greenwood is my far my favourite. Everyone there obviously loves animals, and they never try to sell procedures or treatments, unlike two of the other vets I've been to. When I brought my new rat babies in, I thought they had respiratory symptoms, but Dr. Munn told me straightforwardly that the symptoms were so slight he didn't think treatment was necessary, since they were still new to my home and from a less than ideal environment. For Fred, he told me we could do an x-ray if I wanted more information, but either way the treatment would be the same. I'm really glad I found this clinic before my dog had her bladder stone problem, because they were excellent through the whole thing, from diagnosis, to surgery, to all the follow up she needed to get her urine crystal free.

ThatRatGirl said:
How much would it roughly cost for a jaw/tooth abscess to be inspected to make sure it isn't from an infected tooth?

You would have to call the clinic to ask about the cost of an exam. Don't expect the cost of an exam to be relative to the cost of buying a rat. Often (at least in my area), an exam on a rat is more expensive than a cat or dog.

A tooth abscess is an infected tooth. Unlike in humans and larger animals, tooth/jaw infections/abscesses are life threatening and require aggressive treatment in small mammals. Simply removing the expensive tooth (which is a major surgical procedure for a rat) does not solve the issue.

hprats said:
Update on the neuter price for those interested: Peter's neuter here was $355+tax, including medications, anesthetic, iv fluids and such.
And for Fred's full exam, it was $77 plus tax.
The medications I got were for both of them, the baytril was $20, the doxy (fred only) was 31, and metacam was $35. I don't think it would have been cheaper if it had been for just one though.

Also, this may not be accurate. It was less when I had Fred neutered, probably because it does vary based on time and stuff, but also I may have been confused about what was for which animal, since I had three guys in there that day.

Either way, I'm very happy with the care they give all my animals.

Back