This Vegan Thing......?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doctor's appt was um, what can you say about a doc who openly laughs at you and tells you that basically you are crazy?

I was told since I wasn't anemic in Jan. and I can't be anemic now (takes a long time to get anemic) For some reason he found that question funny. I'm not a doc, how the hell would I know if I didn't ask????

did get a wrist brace for my left wrist, so now I've got both wrists in braces (carpal tunnel)

it was a pretty awful appt. It's very hard to talk to someone who questions everything you say, or just outright laughs in your face.

I never got my other questions answered. In fact he told me to shut up (nicely, he said no more questions)

on the way out I cancelled the appt that my primary care doc had made for next month for my annual physical
I won't be going back.

Good for you. That doctor needs his a** kicked. I hope you told him you did not appreciate being laughed at or treated rudely. Or write him a letter telling him why you won't be back. Doctors can be just plain awful, rude, ignorant and self-important. :redhot:

Wow. OMG. He's an awful doctor!
There are two types of anemia, or three. One is low iron. Poor you! I like the idea of writing a letter to him. Be polite and but firm. He needs to know how he treats others.

Agreed. I was once treated very poorly by a doctor who scoffed at me when I had a hard time getting into a sitting position on his examination table when my back was out because the pain was so bad. I wished that he could be in my body for 5 minutes at that point to see how excruciating the pain was and then ask him how he could act like that to a patient. I ended up writing him a letter later, explaining why I would not return to him and informing him that if he was that uncaring, he should have picked a different profession. I found out about 6 months later, when I was at the clinic to see another doctor and noticed that the rude doctor's name was no longer on the list of practioners there, that he had left the medical field to go into the medical supply business or something. Serious! :lol:

jorats said:
Wow. OMG. He's an awful doctor!
There are two types of anemia, or three. One is low iron. Poor you! I like the idea of writing a letter to him. Be polite and but firm. He needs to know how he treats others.

I don't know Jo, I've kind of reached my limit of rude people that I can continue to treat with more kindness than they do me.

He seemed to want to just make me out to be an idiot. I've had- sorry this is a bit TMI and graphic- but I've had white stools about 3 times in the past 9 mos. It's really quite a shock to see. Each time I called my doc, but they only let you talk to the nurse, NOT the doctor, and she would tell me it's nothing to worry about.
But I'd ask her to find out what causes it, and she would only say it's nothing to worry about. That's not an answer. It's clearly not normal even if it is nothing to worry about!

So here I have a doctor I can talk to directly without going thru a nurse and I figure I'll just ask him. I wanted to know if it was because I don't have a gallbladder, because from what I read, white stool is caused by little or no bile in the stool; that bile is what it gives it the normal poop color. And bile is stored in your gallbladder blah blah blah....so I don't know maybe not having a gallbladder has something to do with this, I don't know. Maybe that's why they're telling me it's nothing to worry about, even though my gallbladder has been gone for ten years now and this never happened before. :roll:

He laughs and tells me it has nothing to do with bile- that white stool is caused by too much fat in the diet.
So I'm trying to figure out how does this work? and he says that when there's too much fat for your liver to digest, it's excreted in stool. So I say, the fat is white? and he says, no it's white because there's too much fat for the bile to digest....
It's the lack of sufficient bile, or rather, a relative lack of sufficient bile. So I was half right and there was no reason for him to laugh at me. He could have just said, it's because there's too much fat for the normal amount of bile, instead of making me feel like an idiot saying it had *nothing* to do with bile, because it obviously does! Just not the way I thought. :roll: :gaah:

I"ve been told I have liver disease, fatty liver disease. So for all I know that means my liver isn't producing enough bile..... or it's getting trapped in there or something. Geez, I'm not a doctor, that's why I ask these questions. Instead of addressing my anxiety about what might be wrong, he just tries to make me out to be an idiot for even thinking it has anything to do with bile. :gaah:

I told him that I have serious doubts that the ophthalmologist is going to do my cataract surgery and rather than ask why, he just laughed and says, well if he doesn't do it, he won't get paid, so why would he not do it?
talk about a simplistic view of things.
It has to be medically necessary to be done on my insurance, and it never even occurred to this guy that maybe it is NOT yet medically necessary.
The first eye doc I saw is very eager to get as many cataract surgeries under her belt as she can, so, yeh she could have put it thru as necessary when maybe I've got more time. I am having symptoms but that doesnt' mean it can't wait. I need to know that the surgery is going to accomplish what I want it to.
She told me I would not need glasses for close work afterward.
The NURSE who books the appts told me that's not true- I will need reading glasses! :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:
I don't have the $$ for prescription glasses, they are very very expensive.

so there may be no point in my having that surgery now.
But this simple minded doctor couldn't even entertain the possibility that I might know what I was talking about!
:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Vladina said:
Agreed. I was once treated very poorly by a doctor who scoffed at me when I had a hard time getting into a sitting position on his examination table when my back was out because the pain was so bad. I wished that he could be in my body for 5 minutes at that point to see how excruciating the pain was and then ask him how he could act like that to a patient. I ended up writing him a letter later, explaining why I would not return to him and informing him that if he was that uncaring, he should have picked a different profession. I found out about 6 months later, when I was at the clinic to see another doctor and noticed that the rude doctor's name was no longer on the list of practioners there, that he had left the medical field to go into the medical supply business or something. Serious! :lol:

that's awful!! Good for you for speaking up!
I think there are some that are more interested in the science end of it and don't care for working with people.
I don't mind too much if I see a surgeon who is bad with patients, cuz I prefer that they be really good at surgery instead :giggle: but for a doc who works directly with patients who are awake, it's nice if they have at least common manners, geez!

OH! I forgot to mention some good news!!
I haven't lost any wt, but then I haven't gained either

However my blood pressure is almost normal (130/76) and that is on HALF my dose of high blood pressure meds.
If I can get out and get walking I'm fairly sure I'll be able to get my blood pressure down enough that I can go off the blood pressure meds completely.
That would be awesome!

and that would be totally due to a change to a plant based whole food diet. I've been on this diet since April with just a few slip ups.

I think I"m still eating too much fat, but its all healthier fats. I eat a lot of sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, peanut butter etc.
I need to cut back a bit on those, but I eat those because they are grab and eat foods

I need to get to the grocery store more often so I have fresh fruit and salad stuff to grab and eat instead!

My mom had her cataracts removed and she finds that she doesn't really need glasses anymore. Her old prescription is much too strong.

Reading glasses can be bought just about anywhere at different strength, at least in Canada. I think you can get them for $10 at Walmart here.

Your doctor has no patience for those looking for answers. He's probably used to patients nodding yes or no and nothing more. My own doctor gets pretty upset if I mention looking something up on the internet. :roll:

Not gaining weight is a good first step!

Oh what a terrible doctor Petunia, how awful that you had to sit through that.

PS. Vladina, we eat kangaroos not koalas (as if that's any better). We call Kangaroos Skippy here because there was a long running show many years ago about a family who had a pet kangaroo called Skippy. I think Australians are sometimes also referred to as Skippy.

PPS I just had a delicious chicken-less vegan cattitore with brown rice for lunch. Yum!

OH! I'm sorry, I got mixed up! Yes, I thought you meant they ate koalas in Australia, sorry, my mistake! Yeah, kangaroos are not any better, you are right. :sad3: Now I know what Skippy means too. That is so interesting...the first thing someone from the U.S. would think of if someone mentions Skippy, is Skippy brand peanut butter! So, never tell an Australian you had a Skippy sandwich for lunch unless you want them to think you had kangaroo? :wink2:

By the way, your chicken-less lunch sounded delicious!

here's something to think about:

http://youtu.be/BvEizypoyO0

WoW! :shock:

now this might be what's wrong with me, with the fatigue, depression, etc
I've had many of the other symptoms they mention too, in varying degrees

it mentions it can run in families, my father had a severe B12 deficiency and was on the shots.

I've been taking supplemental B12 (the methyl B12) in sub lingual pill form for about 3 mos now I guess?
but maybe I need more

this is a real eye opener.

I also dbled my dose of D3 since I go out so seldom and therefore get very little sun

OH and Dr Gregor has a new talk on prevention, it's wonderful. I'd love to get my doc to see it, it mentions the dogs that sniff out cancer. I told her about that a couple of years ago, and she literally laughed at me :redhot:
There's a bunch of stuff in this new video that I've told my doctor about, that she just scoffed at.
She's one doctor I need to avoid! (I'm looking for a new doctor)

http://youtu.be/qyyHsb6WGgY

Petunia, you need to talk to some friends who live in the area. One of the best ways to find a good Dr is through a recommendation from someone else. Not all Dr's are a**holes!

thanks
yeh I have but so far all of my friend's doctors aren't taking new clients

people learn who the good docs are, and they get all the business. so when I call a clinic or office asking for the doc that was recommended, they offer me someone one else, and it turns out that most of the time, the doc they offer me has multiple bad reviews on line when you check.

I just need to stay healthy and stay away from doctors all together
:nod:

okay... kinda getting OT on the vegan thing.. but I just wanted to follow up on the how to get a good doctor issue..

Word of mouth helps, but particularly word of mouth regarding retiring doctors and new doctors taking over their practices. A number of my friends have found their doctors by watching for the new ones in the area who are starting up their own practice or stepping in to take over the practice of a retiring doctor.

might even be a list somewhere of these new Doctors..'though I don't know where..

A work colleague has just lent me the book 'Committed' by Dan Mathews. It's so good I can't put it down. Dan is the Senior Vice-President of PETA. If I could ever have a dinner party with a few select guests he would be on the list. He really has a way with words and an amazing view on things.
I love his comment that meat has nothing to do with animals really, as it actually comes from the hamburger patch.
It's worth a read.

Hmmm.. I just posted this under a different topic, but just realized I should mention it here too...

There's an event I've been wanting to go to at Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY. Once a year they have a Hoe Down. It's an event with key speakers and it's all about animal right activism, specifically for farm animals. This year the founder is even going to be there. Gene Baur. He's a very inspiring person..

Anyway, due to some health issues, I am not presently able to drive long distances. It's only 5 hours from Ottawa, and there's just no reasonable alternative to get there by bus or train or even air. So I'm hoping to find a ride share.

If anyone who's in the Ottawa area is planning to go, and has room in their car for a passenger who can drive a half hour here or there, please let me know. This will be a highly motivational event, and all meals will, of course, be vegan.

Back