This Vegan Thing......?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jorats, I feel the same way as you...my husband and I have been vegan for a year and a half and my only regret is all those years that my eyes were not open and I did not become vegan much earlier. I just did not know the facts and ate what I grew up with, not questioning or thinking about where my food was coming from. But, better late than never, right?

Everything looks different now...now, we see people buying milk or ice cream or cheese at the store and we think..."humans are weaned off of their mother's breast milk as babies, then as adults we think it is perfectly natural to not only continue to drink breast milk, but from another species as well...and the baby cows who are supposed to be the ones drinking that are taken away from their mothers after birth so Mom Cow can be hooked up to a machine to suck her milk out for humans to drink?? And it seems like sheer insanity to us, not to mention heartbreaking.

And of course when a vegetarian tells us, "well, I don't want to eat anything that was killed, but they don't kill cows for milk, so I still consume dairy," I tell them, "Yes, they DO slaughter dairy cows when they finally run dry of milk..dairy cows just suffer much longer than beef cows and they suffer the heartbreak of being continually kept pregnant and having all their babies taken away to be sent off to veal crates, etc." and I get shocked looks from the vegetarians. Indeed.

And we used to drink milk and eat cheese and all those things without a thought about it in the "old life". It is amazing how those blinders come off and you become horrified at what you used to do.

We are never turning back. I cannot even imagine NOT being vegan now. It is a life changing move and makes our bodies feel good and also our hearts. :)

Marissa, good for you! So proud you are trying to get there with your vegan transition! I am sure you will get there. :D You will learn very soon how much better things taste when they do not come from an animal too and not contributing to pain and miserable suffering of billions of animals just adds to the satisfaction of being vegan. Go for it! :banana:

Last edited:
Back