They're here !! Mama and now only 2 growing babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is doing well this morning.

November16mamasleeping.jpg

Molly/Eve sleeping on top of her babies. It sounds like they are nursing .... poor little mama.

As you can see, she is now acting more normal, she has tried to drag everything into the cat carrier and burried the babies. :thumbup:
Looks like she has settled in.
I think she likes the cat carrier, minus the door as it makes her feel more secure.
Tried to find a small box for the nest but couldn't ... but a nest in a clean litter box, inside a cat carrier seems to be acceptable.

Molly/Eve is now up and again searching for things to bury her babies with.
Babies all have milk bellies :thumbup:

I would give your lovely family a few days to settle in and relax, then maybe you could move the carrier into the CN (door closed). A couple more days and open the door and it can be her safe bedroom.

lilspaz68 said:
I would give your lovely family a few days to settle in and relax, then maybe you could move the carrier into the CN (door closed). A couple more days and open the door and it can be her safe bedroom.

Guess I'm too eager Shelagh. (Great minds think alike LOL)
The cat carrier is inside the CN as it is hopefully less noticable in there. (I'm not suposed to get anymore rats :shock: .... backup plan is that they are godmothers LOL)
Late last night after she fed the babies, I opened the door so she could get a break.
She did so well at returning to the babies, feeding them again and burying them that I took the door off the carrier before I went to bed.
Babies are now well fed, and sleeping. Mama has burried the babies, explored the cage and is polishing off a bit of boiled egg.
She seems to be settling in ok.
She hasn't figured out the wheel yet and is scratching a fair amount .... we might have mites :(
Will treat everyone but mama and babies.

Thanks for your ideas, and support everyone
You're the best :hugs:

That's great to hear Mama is settling in and being a good mama. We hope to see LOTS of pics of the kids growing up! And three is a nice, small number to deal with.

It looks like two girls and a boy to me but it's hard to tell in the pictures. They're some cute. Small cages always work the best I find for sure it's great she's doing better at nursing them. Best sound ever hearing baby rattie chirps.

If you run into trouble not finding homes for them they can always come here. We'll have the space. We have two boys being adopted and then two more probably going to Global Pets again (depends on Fred he's not doing well at all. Might have to make the call on him as we can't get him to eat) so that will leave just two foster boys here.

Also if you want me too I can post on the website and petfinder about them to try and find them homes.

SQ sez
backup plan is that they are godmothers LOL

Ha! If you believe that, I have some nice swampland in Florida to sell you. :laugh4: Once SQ gets attached to a ratty, that's it. But I will be a happy godmother to them.

So glad that Eve and babies are doing well. It will be fun to see them grow up and to play with them once they are running around in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Lindsayfawn. I'm going to try to keep them together but I guess it depends on whether or not the mama is pregnant.

Ahh godmother ..... there have been exceptions to that when I felt it was in the rattie's best interests.
I'm off to take a couple of pics before I get back to school work ... the group of 6 in free ranging next to me in the play area.

Edit: The little mama came out for baby cereal so I checked on the babies.
One of the babies is dead. :sad3: Sarah's little body is cold and she had a good milk belly. :sad3:
I am so very sorry dear little baby .....

SQ said:
Thanks Lindsayfawn. I'm going to try to keep them together but I guess it depends on whether or not the mama is pregnant.

Ahh godmother ..... there have been exceptions to that when I felt it was in the rattie's best interests.
I'm off to take a couple of pics before I get back to school work ... the group of 6 in free ranging next to me in the play area.

Edit: The little mama came out for baby cereal so I checked on the babies.
One of the babies is dead. :sad3: Her little body is cold and she had a good milk belly. :sad3:
I am so very sorry dear little baby .....

Oh no. :tearful:

Back