The super official VEGAN RECIPE thread. Rat Shack Approved!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm ... time for a trip to the univ., quite a few post I definitely need to print. Thanks for all the info Jorats, and thanks for sharing the recipes everyone
:-D

My all time favorite soup, the best French Onion soup in the world. It contains two unusual ingredients for a French soup: miso paste and soy sauce. Don't omit them! They really make the soup exceptional. I prefer red miso or barley miso to the white miso in this but, they all work wonderfully.

I recommend when adding the miso at the end, to put the miso and some of the cooking soup's broth in a bowl and whisk it together before you add it to the soup pot.

Oh, and another recommendation: use Not-Chick'n and / or Not-Beef brand bouillon cubes for the vegetable broth.

http://www.colleenboucher.com/2011/01/soupe-loignon.htmlhttp://www.meatoutmondays.org/print/FrenchOnionSoup.htm

My all time favorite soup, the best French Onion soup in the world. It contains two unusual ingredients for a French soup: miso paste and soy sauce. Don't omit them! They really make the soup exceptional. I prefer red miso or barley miso to the white miso in this but, they all work wonderfully.

I recommend when adding the miso at the end, to put the miso and some of the cooking soup's broth in a bowl and whisk it together before you add it to the soup pot.

Oh, and another recommendation: use Not-Chick'n and / or Not-Beef brand bouillon cubes for the vegetable broth.

http://www.colleenboucher.com/2011/01/soupe-loignon.htmlhttp://www.meatoutmondays.org/print/FrenchOnionSoup.htm

Thank you for that recipe!!!!!!!!! Must try it.

Oh wow. I love Isa... and that recipe for Fronch Toast sounds DELICIOUS!!!! And I always have soy creamer on hand. :) French vanilla too. Ooooh can't wait to try it.

Isa is definitely my favorite vegan cookbook author. :) Another of my absolute favorite recipes that I made again recently -- chickpea cutlets!

http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebatch-chickpea-cutlets/
I attempted to make that and of course, I was in a hurry and not paying attention, I made my cutlets too thick and didn't cook properly but wow, did the outer edges taste fantastic! Will try again. So easy to make.

The one time I tried to make them with the pan-cooking method they didn't come out right, but I have made them baked in the oven many times and they come out fantastic. The instructions for baking in the over are to coat each side in olive oil and put on a baking sheet, bake at 375 f for 20 minutes, flip and bake 8-10 minutes more. They're really wonderful that way.

warm weather is supposed to be coming soon (hard to tell around these parts LOL) and I'm thinking that I probably won't want to eat quite so much soup.
I am not sure what kinds of vegan things to make for the summer though. Many of my old favorites all had mayo in them, and I don't like the substitutes, and really should not eat that much fat anyway.

(I used to eat a lot of pot. salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, tuna salad, etc) I don't care for the pasta or pot salads with the oil and vinegar type dressings.

I like spaghetti sandwiches and salad sandwiches LOL yes, they both go great on bread or a sub roll! but I can't eat that every day

I don't cook anything in the oven, it's all stove top or crock pot or microwave.

I don't even know what to look for.
what do you all eat for the summer months?

Petunia how about summer squash, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers?
Delicious in casseroles or italian-style.

Tahini sauce with some lemon juice or vinegar and a bit of soy sauce makes a tasty dressing too. You can also have nice creamy dressings by processing nuts or seeds with a little water and garlic powder or whatever spice you like.

I found a great vegan mayo. This is my "go to" for my coleslaw dressing.
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp salt
2tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard
1small garlic clove
In blender add oil, milk, salt and garlic. Blend until combined and smooth.
Add mustard and vinegar. Blend until thick.
I also add smoked paprika to this or any spice that you prefer.

you guys are great! thanks for all the suggestions.
I did try the mayo recipe and really didn't care for it.

but that's fine, I love hummus, having only discovered it recently.
there's only one I get, cuz its the cheapest lol called Tribe "everything"
It's got a bunch of nuts or seeds or something on top
but it's still not that cheap, considering you get this tiny little container of it.....
so I tried making some.
There's dozens of different recipes for hummus, it turns out, and some of them are not even made with chick peas (that surprised me)

there's one made with sweet potatoes that I want to try, as soon as I find the page again (my bookmarking tool failed for some reason)

and there's other beans you can use, etc

so!
I threw a can of rinsed drained chick peas in the food processor, added a tiny bit of oil, and a smidgen of cider vinegar, and some spices (veggie mix with garlic and I forget what else LOL)
tasted it, adjusted spices (needed more vinegar) and viola!
very tasty sandwich spread!
I put some on a flax/oatbran/whole wheat flour tortilla with some red onion, baby spinach leaves and some sunflower seeds (cuz it needed more crunch but I don't have any other fresh veggies in the house right now)

it was goooooooooooooood!
I am going to experiment with different beans for spreads and different veggie combos
I love the simplicity of sandwiches and now I have all these new options!

thanks!!
I'll let you know if I come up with a really unique and tasty combo/recipe

this one was pretty darn good, but it will be a lot better with some chopped celery or cucumber
will try it with other salad greens too, I love the spring mixes.

Back