The super official VEGAN RECIPE thread. Rat Shack Approved!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this very easy and quick soup on the weekend. Absolutely delicious.
It makes tons so you can freeze it too
2 of the very big cans of tomato juice.
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
One can of navy beans
350grams of whole wheat elbow pasta
1/2 a bag of frozen vegetables.

Dissolve two bouillon cubes in juice in large pot.
Bring to a boil.
Add beans, pasta and vegetables.
Boil for 12 minutes.
Serve or refrigerate or freeze.

This kind of soup, you can add anything your heart desires... lentils, any kind of vegetable frozen or fresh or canned, any kind of beans, any kind of pasta.
It's hearty and delicious.

Roasted potatoes and asparagus:
In a mixing bowl, add bite size potatoes and asparagus cut to 1.5 inches. Add 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix very well, use your hands to massage the oil in. Add to a greased roasting pan at 400 for 45 minutes.

Plant Based Paella
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 tomato, diced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup peas
1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and tomato and continue to sautee over medium heat for three minutes. Add rice and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas and artichokes and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Oh my goodness, these recipes look deeelicious! My cousin just posted a super fast vegan recipe on my husband's Facebook page (I don't have FB so I just check out some things over his shoulder when he has FB up, ha ha)

This is for when your sweet tooth is calling but you want to stay on track with avoiding too many calories, etc. I have not tried it yet, but here is the recipe (my cousin did not give it a name so maybe we can call it "Banana Oat Treats"?)

3 mashed bananas (ripe)
1/3 cup applesauce
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup almond milk (or your plant based milk of choice?)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees, combine all ingredients in a bowl, spoon mounds onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Hmmm! I will need to try this recipe as soon as my bananas ripen enough! (they are still green)

If anyone tries this, let me know how they taste!

Oh bummer! Yeah, we all have those types of foods that don't like us too much, or at least our tummies! I am allergic to avocadoes in a big way, so I always have to pass on recipes that feature them. :emb:

My most favourite and so easy to make.

Mom’s Coleslaw Dressing

1 cup original Veganaise
½ tsp. + more to taste mustard
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vinegar

Whisk all ingredients together. Add more mustard to taste

mmm sounds good!

I've wanted to try Veganaise but the price had put me off. If I spent that much and didn't like it, I'd be really upset (mostly with myself for splurging on a condiment)

how does it compare to Hellman's mayo? or any regular mayo (not the sweet Cains mayo nor the Miracle Whip type)

I do miss mayo! but I really only liked Hellmans or the store brand that tastes very similar.

I actually found a very easy and fast recipe from food.com for making my own homemade vegan mayo and my husband and I think it is delicious! I pasted the recipe here for you. Of course everyone always varies the ingredients when making this...I don't have any ground mustard so I skipped that ingredient (and it is optional anyway) and I noticed that when I tried to only use lemon juice, the mayo did not thicken up as much as when I use apple cider vinegar. I also add a tad more salt than the recipe calls for only because I am a bit overly fond of salt (bad girl!) Try this recipe out! I just use my blender and it is sooo fast to make!

Vegan Mayonnaise
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 2 minutes
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise - can easily be doubled.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Raw, Sugar Free

Ingredients:

1 cup canola, safflower, or grapeseed oil (if you use grapeseed your mayo might be greenish. Just a heads up.)
1/2 cup soy milk
3/4 tsp salt (to taste)
1 - 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
Pinch ground mustard (optional, you could probably also use a 1/4 tsp prepared mustard)
Directions:

1.Combine all ingredients except lemon juice (or vinegar) in the food processor or blender, blending until smooth.
2.SLOWLY add the lemon juice or vinegar until the mixture thickens and tastes as desired. Add salt and mustard to taste.

Hmm, I'm not sure! I don't actually have any experience with peanut oil as far as making mayo goes. I have only tried safflower, olive and canola oil. Peanut oil might work I guess? Worth a shot?

Vladina said:
Hmm, I'm not sure! I don't actually have any experience with peanut oil as far as making mayo goes. I have only tried safflower, olive and canola oil. Peanut oil might work I guess? Worth a shot?

well Peanut oil will solidify when cold, just like olive oil.

I don't know if canola or safflower oil solidify when cold, I've never gotten those before

I got peanut oil because it's cheaper than olive oil but is supposed to be better for you than corn or canola.
safflower is supposed to be good but it I hear it has a short shelf life

er, I think I need to go back to my notes on oils LOL

thanks for the recipe and esp for your tips, I've got to try this
I really miss mayo

You're welcome! I have used canola and safflower oil for this recipe before and the mayo comes out smooth and creamy and stays that way in the fridge. Nice!
I am not sure how long it lasts because my husband and I always end up going through the whole batch within several days of making it, ha ha. :D

Vladina said:
Oh my goodness, these recipes look deeelicious! My cousin just posted a super fast vegan recipe on my husband's Facebook page (I don't have FB so I just check out some things over his shoulder when he has FB up, ha ha)

This is for when your sweet tooth is calling but you want to stay on track with avoiding too many calories, etc. I have not tried it yet, but here is the recipe (my cousin did not give it a name so maybe we can call it "Banana Oat Treats"?)

3 mashed bananas (ripe)
1/3 cup applesauce
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup almond milk (or your plant based milk of choice?)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees, combine all ingredients in a bowl, spoon mounds onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Hmmm! I will need to try this recipe as soon as my bananas ripen enough! (they are still green)

If anyone tries this, let me know how they taste!

OH I gotta get more bananas and try this! every time I get bananas I eat them all plain before I can make any thing with them- I'll have to remember to get a very very big bunch :lol:

I am looking for no sugar and no refined flour recipes and this sounds perfect, esp for me and my sweet tooth!
I might add some chopped walnuts to it for the crunch

I'll let you know when I make it how it came out, I am definitely gonna make this one!

I found some "margarine" that is about half way between the cost of reg margarine and the very expensive vegan Earth Balance-
Smart Balance!
and it tastes BETTER than the Olivio I used to get (which has buttermilk in it)

yummy!! now I can have toast and tea, my favorite winter comfort snack

Does anyone have a good bean soup recipe? I put beans in a most of my veggie soups and minestrone soups but would like a soup that has a different base

They sell prepackaged beans soups but they have way too much sodium in them!!

I have some mushroom soup base, would that be a good base for a bean soup?
also, don't different beans cook at different rates?
and some need to be soaked overnight, and others dont- so those pkged bean soups always scared me :giggle: I was sure some beans would end up undercooked and others would turn to mush if they were all tossed in a pot at the same time.

they have cut our food stamps here in the states, something that is going to cause a lot of hardship for many people (I'll be ok because I know how to eat cheaply) but I still do need to make what I buy go further.
Soups help a lot because you can make a lot of soup for not a lot of $$

:nod:

All dry beans should be soaked overnight. Peas and lentils don't need soaking.
Tomato juice would make a good bean soup base. I make soup once a week to last the week for my husband and I. I start with a base, either tomato or water with vegetable bouillon. I added chopped carrots, chopped celery and chopped onions, then I add my pasta or beans.

To make your soup heartier, you can add kale, butternut squash or any squash, potatoes, peppers... anything!

oh thanks Joanne
I forgot to mention one thing- most of my soups have a tomato base and I'm looking for some thing a bit different
:giggle:

the only other soups I make without tomatoes are the split pea soup and that potato cauliflower.

I just made some Kitchen Sink soup :lol: also called "garbage soup" but that doesn't make it sound too appealing

I sauteed an onion in peanut oil with spices (a tiny bit of thyme, some basil, some oregano, some garlic powder, some parsley and some celery seed powder)
added some chopped chinese cabbage left over from a salad, some raw baby spinach also left over from a salad, a can of rinsed Great Northern beans, about a cup or so of leftover canned pumpkin, a can of zuccini in tom sauce and a small can of no salt added tom sauce, oh and a tiny bit of veggie broth base (the kind that comes in a jar, forget the name of it)

at the end of cooking, I tossed in what was left of my quick cooking barley

it's pretty darn tasty!!

but, it's got a tomato base. I love toms but some times it's nice to have something different

I am going to try a curried pumpkin or squash soup and maybe a non dairy milk broccoli cream soup, but I eat beans nearly every day and wanted a soup that was mostly beans,
in a tasty broth that has no tomatoes

I should have been more specific, sorry!
:giggle:

Back