The Dustman has a Lump - ZGT... RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kept missing this thread - it looks really bad :( At the same time though he does still look really bright. Sometimes these things definitely look worse to us than they seem to make the ratties themselves feel.

It's so hard to know when it's the right time.

I wonder how much of the tumor is internal. It seems like it must be mainly external. Is there any way to reduce the size of the tumor with electrocautery or something like that? Or is it growing fast now?
I think that as long as you feel he is happy and not in pain, why not let him keep enjoying life?

Joanne said:
I wonder how much of the tumor is internal. It seems like it must be mainly external. Is there any way to reduce the size of the tumor with electrocautery or something like that? Or is it growing fast now?
I think that as long as you feel he is happy and not in pain, why not let him keep enjoying life?

it would be interesting to find out, but he's almost 28 months old, and I won't have any money for procedures for 2 more weeks.

I think Dr. Munn would take one look at him and say PTS! But maybe I could ask? if not I shall have to take him in soon, as they will think I am abusing him :(

It looks bad, but Dusty himself looks ok! I wonder if he feels much of it at all, as he's eating and bruxing, etc.
It could be that it's mostly external, like Joanne said. I guess you could see what Dr. Munn says?
I'm surprised it hasn't burst or done anything, and that you can't see it coming up from inside his ear, like my Sparkles had.
Is Dusty's jaw misaligned from it? It doesn't look like it. Awwww, sweet sweet boy. Good luck! :hugs: :sad3:

No issues with his mouth or jaw, I don't think his ear is involved except dried blood gets in it and makes it itchy...I can gently rub that ear, he stays very still for me while his little tongue flicks in and out.

I sent the email, if its a No, I will have no choice but to bring him in :(

lilspaz68 said:
No issues with his mouth or jaw, I don't think his ear is involved except dried blood gets in it and makes it itchy...I can gently rub that ear, he stays very still for me while his little tongue flicks in and out.

Fingers crossed that he can have a reduction and enjoy life for a while longer. I am still amazed at how long he has been living with it!
I would be happy to donate some $ towards it. :)

Joanne said:
lilspaz68 said:

Fingers crossed that he can have a reduction and enjoy life for a while longer. I am still amazed at how long he has been living with it!
I would be happy to donate some $ towards it. :)

Thank you Joanne!!!

I got an email back this morning from the vet tech, Dr Munn is out of the office until MOnday so he'll see my email/request then. A little longer to spoil Dusty :heart:

Vet had told me those were inoperable. On Hawkeye the tumor was pushing on his jaw and filled up his ear. Gentle cuddles to your little man.

mamarat said:
Vet had told me those were inoperable. On Hawkeye the tumor was pushing on his jaw and filled up his ear. Gentle cuddles to your little man.

they really are inoperable, which is why I never went to Dr. Munn, because what vet doesn't want to poke or cut something? LOL I wanted it to be untouched as much as possible to see how it would do. I just wonder if its possible Dusty's tumour is not a squamous cell tumour but something different?

Well, its Monday but I think it might be too late for anything. Its grown a lot since I sent the email :( I am giving him metacam and he's doing well, but he scratches around it sometimes (all that dried blood) which makes it bleed again...

But he's very cuddly and loooves his Out time on the bed with me, and under the covers. My fearful boy is finally relaxing and enjoying Me in his life. :heart:

That looks so unpleasant for him! But he seems pretty unaffected. Go with your gut with making the decision for him. You will do what's best.

Back