The Christmas Tree Thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to risk Hank killing it!
My tree topper that my grandmother bought in the 1970's finally died, when I moved out Dad gave it to me as well as a tree skirt. Both have died within 4 years.
The dead topper
PB210574.jpg

Tree up with flash
PB210575.jpg

No flash
PB210580.jpg

I also spent the day baking, here's my amputee gnigerbread
PB210582.jpg

my grandmother used to always get real trees... nothing better than going out in the snow, to the tree lot,and picking out your own tree... smells like Christmas to me... pine-ey but not like the gross fake pine smell... real fresh pine, and cold air hitting your nose...

yeahh i haven't had a "real" Christmas since like...'00...

my tree is like a foot tall :(.

I am all for fake trees, personally. Ever since I was a little, little kid, I never much liked the idea of cutting down a perfectly good tree for a month, then tossing it out on a curb.
Guess I was always a tree-hugger, eh? I'unno, just something that made me sad to see after the holidays.

I'll try and get pics of my tree after Thanksgiving....er..American Thanksgiving. :p

Clowncaronfire: I guess I am just the opposite! We used to have real trees every year, but for at least the last 5 years we've had a fake tree. I miss the our real trees sooooo much, my mom stopped getting them because no one ever wanted to go with her to get one, but also because they were too messy!

Our tree normally doesn't go up until after thanksgiving either...

lilratsy43 said:
Clowncaronfire: I guess I am just the opposite! We used to have real trees every year, but for at least the last 5 years we've had a fake tree. I miss the our real trees sooooo much, my mom stopped getting them because no one ever wanted to go with her to get one, but also because they were too messy!

Our tree normally doesn't go up until after thanksgiving either...

They also are saying it's better to use the fake trees, as opposed to cutting down perfectly healthy trees...for a month of use. ;)
I was going green from the beginning, and I didn't even know it. :happydance: Woot woot!

I also don't like starting Christmas until after Thanksgiving is done with here, feels weird. And I LOVE Christmas. I am an oddball.

We've been discussing on whether to go real or fake this year. When we were kids my parents would take us out to a tree farm with our dog Lucky and ride the sleigh out to the farm area. Pick a tree, dad would cut it down and we'd bring it home on top our van. For the past 8 years or so we've only had a fake tree - but it's starting to look sparse. So either we get a new fake tree or a real one this year.. we'll see ;)

We usually put our tree up end of November or early December and it comes down in January sometime. I love decorating trees!

Our family always insisted on a real tree, and I miss that now. My hubby is one of those who thinks that the tree should go up on Christmas Eve (I would say, "Why bother, for that amount of time??"). Lately I have not been putting one up at all, because we have been away for so much of the season.

My family had some weird traditions, like leaving it up until almost mid-January! A few years ago I had a really nice fresh tree. When I took it down I realized it was still growing, and I felt like a murderer taking it out into the snowbank.

It is funny writing this and seeing what strong opinions and feelings people have about their Christmas trees. It is getting me into the mood for the season (staying away from the malls helps, too)

Were one of those families that leaves our tree up until mid-January just because we think it's pretty :) haha, I never want it to come down, but my mom is always the one to disassemble the tree after she thinks it's been up long enough.

So we were talking yesterday in chat about ornaments and I said there was a mouse one at Canadian Tire. I bought 2 of them today and took pictures.
PB280642.jpg

PB280643.jpg

I also bought a whole bunch of ornaments today
PB280644.jpg

PB280646.jpg

PB280651.jpg

PB280652.jpg

this christmas will be my first out on my own with my bf, so he went and bought us a little 3 foot tree at canadian tire for $10 :) but we can't put it up until we move in next weekend we're going for white and teal bells (I hope my cat Sophie doesn't care about them) here's a pic of it nicely decorated
photo.jpg

Back