Starla's litter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

Here are some recent pics of Starla's litter.

For those of you who don't know the story, she was a rescue. I had seen an add online for someone that was looking for a home for rats. I called her up and found out she was a breeder that was "downsizing." Well, a lot of us know that is a back yard breeder. The weird thing was that she didn't want me to see her apartment. She said she had rescued her friend and his stuff was everywhere... sure. We met in the entrance lounge. She showed me Starla and her other 2 boys she was getting rid of. The story with Starla was that she had already had an accidental litter and was probably pregnant again. The lady said her boys are free range and Starla escaped from the cage she put her in numerous times*kinda funny because I have her in a cage with fairly wide spacing and she hasn't got out.* Apparently she killed her first litter. I was told this would only happen if there were bad things happening around her, so I can't imagine what kind of environment she was in. The lady said she was with other females as well *no doubt they were pregnant and had litters themselves that lead to Starla's behavior.*

I asked if she was still breeding and she said yes! I was so upset I almost left but I couldn't let Starla stay. I was worried that someone might use her for snake food along with her babies or someone who didn't know how to take care of a pregnant rat and babies would take her.

Someone tried to persuade me from getting her as her history wasn't known and I have rats from a breeder who are healthy. On many occasions I had wanted to rescue other rats but this person kept persuading me to avoid it. I couldn't do it anymore. I knew my heart was in the right place and I wanted to give her the home she and her babies deserved.

So here we are today, 11 babies. :) 4 girls and 7 boys.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa138/Melissa_82/

Most recent video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eehX5vXdTJ8

DSC00274.jpg

It looks like you'll have some really neat markings in there.

How many are you planning on keeping?

chicky82 said:
are any of the boys dumbos? I can't help but ask, dang GGMR :wallbang:
In the beginning I thought there was but it seems like they may all be standards.

BUT, I think I have some rex. :lovestruck:

New pics are posted in my album and there is a video on you tube. See my signature for the links. I'm quite surprised how much detail the full size pics show! The one below is resized smaller.

dsc00288xp1.jpg

ScatteredRain said:
I showed my hubby the pictures and he was like "Those are baby rats?" and I said "Yes, aren't they beautiful!" Hehe, he just kinda gave me a funny look, but then he gave me the same look when our son was born! :lol:
Awwwwww!!! That is so sweet! :heart:

OMG they look like they have velvet as fur. I love that one with the dark brown/black all the way down it's back... :love6:

Back