SQ had ankle surgery: daily tasks are a major challenge

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to offer to go and get them and take them, however I just discovered that one of my back tires has a slow leak. *sigh* as if I don't have enough crap already. If I'm able to get it fixed before Sunday I'll let you know.

She has a metal plate and pin in the ankle and will be getting a temporary cast-- no weight bearing -- for two weeks. How on earth will she be able to take care if her rats?

I will be out of town all but two days between May 30 and June 18, and RatsForever will be living in Moncton forawhileas of Monday, so I am concerned.

I wish I lived closer I could help with the ratties. They are fixing my tire as I write this. Wendy if you can pm me the details on the drop off for the rats I will take the babies to the MRR person.

Plate and pins???? That sounds like a terrible fracture - that car accident was weeks ago. Has she been walking on it for that long not knowing it was fractured. Darn, that had to hurt!!!!! Feel better soon!

Thanks so much, Lindsay. I PMed you the email for MRR. They are now aware of Holly's situation.

Yes, it must be a terrible fracture. The doctor thought that she must have had a recent injury, but she hadn't had anything happen since the car accident. The worst pain was in her arm and shoulder, so she had no idea her ankle was so bad.

I told her of everyone's good wishes, and she is happy to hear about that. Many thanks to RatsForever, who took care of the ratties this morning.

I'll keep you posted.

HI !!!

Thank you for all the kind wishes!
I was born with a problem with my leg sockets so I am frequently in pain when walking or standing so I didn't notice a problem after the accident.
On Thursday at my placement for school, I went to the washroom before attending a meeting and was unable to return ... I ended up crawling down the hallway with my foot hanging off the end of my leg .... I was sent by ambulance to the hospital.
As Godmother mentioned, I have been told that I have two metal plates, bolts and pins in my ankle. I had surgery on Friday and was discharged from the hospital yesterday evening even tho I am not capable of looking after myself.
As Godmother mentioned, I have a temporary, non weight bearing cast on my leg. Given the soft tisssue damange to my shoulders, neck, back and arms in the car accident, and only being able to balance or hop on one foot .... using crutches or a walker are a challenge.
The first hour I was home I hurt my injured ankle twice by banging into things, fell down and knocked a piece of heavy bedroom furnuiture on top of myself.
I'm on morphine for pain so I'm kind of out of it.
Thanks so much to Godmother and Ratsforever for feeding my rats and medicating them. I don't know what we would do without the two of you!

As Godmpother has mentioned, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated .... I don't know how I'm going to clean their cages, or look after them once Linda and Godmother leave.

Thanks for all the good wishes :thumbup:
I guess I should end this and go take some more medication because I am in a lot of pain
Thanks to Godmother for bringing me some food.

anyway, thanks for caring ....

I want to thank:
- Ratsforever for coming over and medicating and feeding my 21 rats and the 44 rescued mama and babies and washing their dishes etc while I was in the hospital
- Godmother for coming over and medicating and feeding my 21 rats and the 44 rescued mama and babies and washing their dishes etc while I was in the hospital and every day since I got home on Saturday and for the help she will be continuing to provide.
- Thefriggintribe for coming over this afternoon and cleaning rat cages, litter boxes etc ... And a very grateful thank you to her as she said she would come back and clean more rat cages.

I am on morphine every 4 hours for pain and in a temporary non weightbearing cast for 2 weeks (until they put me in a permanent cast) ... so I can't carry anything or do much for myself or the ratties.
Thank you so much to the women who are helping, I don't know what the ratties and I would do without you!

so relieved to hear you've got some folks coming in to help you. Geez, you'd think the hospital social services dept would have set you up with homemaker help since you're basically too disabled at this point to do these things. I know they wouldn't care for the rats, but how do you get food? cook? shop?? It's upsetting that they didn't think to help you with those things. Thanks to the great women who have stepped up go give you a hand. I so wish I didn't live so far away. ((((hugs)))

I can't shop, cook, carry anything, etc as I am basically hoping on one foot ..... I fall a lot even tho I am using crutches and a walker ...
I am afraid that I may have seriously injured my broken ankle today when trying to do things I needed to do
..... I guess I screamed pretty loud this morning when I fell over backwards - hitting my head & my foot and knocking over furniture :(

When I was discharged from the hospital, my mom who is her late 70s and physically disabled, was told to go find a wheelchair and wheel me from the bedroom, to the evevator and then out to her car ... no one helped her .... :(

Edit: My mother dropped me off from the hospital and went to work ... I fell 4 or 5 times during the first hour, and brought a piece of bedroom furniture down on top of myself when I tried to hop around my bedroom by hanging onto furniture.
Fortunately my brother was home when I called him and he went to the pharmacy to get my morphine prescription, otherwise I would not have had pain meds until the following afternoon.

That's terrible that they just discharged you with no plans in place for you care! I'm glad you have friends close enough and willing to assist you. Hope you feel better and are more mobile soon. :hugs:

The swelling in my foot seems to have gone down .... but my toes are quite bruised LOL

actually, I am covered in bruises head to toe from falling and I hurt all over, especially my ankle and my back ..

I have an appointment at the hospital on Friday to see how my ankle is healing and to possibly get a walking cast.
I am more clear headed now that I am off morphine but was up repeatedly last night because of the pain.

Most of the ratties are doing ok, but Wendy's and Jennifer's breathing seems to be getting worse. I am afraid they may need to be pts :(

Godmother said:
I hope you called the hospital Patient Advocate. They had no business sending you home without help.

Pats to Kennifer and Wendy :heart: They are sweet girls.

The patient advocate is away

I just hope I haven't injured my ankle from falling so many times and standing on it (as a reflex) to keep from falling, and having to stand on it sometimes in order to care for my rats ...
Didn't know I could scream like that .... can't ever remember screaming in pain before the last couple of weeks ....

Back