SQ had ankle surgery: daily tasks are a major challenge

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is just so frustrating .... not being able
to walk
to carry anything (ie food for myself or the rats, rat medicine, anything for the rats or myself to drink, etc)
to do laundry
to clean litter boxes or cages
to wash my hair or have a shower

I have to have to crawl up and down stairs
and everything I try to do is exhausting, I keep falling and I keep hurting my broken ankle
I'm getting really discouraged and the more time passes, the worse I feel physically ....

Update:
I had an appointment at the hospital this morning.
X-rays were taken and my ankle is healing fine.

I am in a new cast but I am still not allowed to put weight on my left leg
Slight improvement as I am now allowed to use my foot to balance, as long as I don't put my weight on it. :)

So ... I'm still helpless :(

SQ said:
Update:
I had an appointment at the hospital this morning.
X-rays were taken and my ankle is healing fine.

I am in a new cast but I am still not allowed to put weight on my left leg :)
Slight improvement as I am now allowed to use my foot to balance, as long as I don't put my weight on it.

So ... I'm still helpless :(

glad things are healing but did you find anyone to help you out? I mean is the patient advocate back yet? you'd think they'd have someone to fill in
Grrrr!
please take it easy ok?

WOW, Holly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am seriously out of the loop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You poor baby! What a catastrophe! No one helped your 70 year old mother find a wheelchair for you???? What in the heck is WRONG with people????? :redhot:

Hang in there, sweetie. This too shall pass. Doctor's generally take falls and tumbles into account when putting a cast on a broken body part. It isn't abnormal to whack and slam into things while trying to get adjusted.

I developed a really cozy relationship with the "ground" when I fractured my ankle in High School. Made me wonder if the thing would EVER get a chance to heal! Fortunately, it did and I was off the crutches in a couple of weeks. My sides and underarms hurt like anything, but my ankle was healed.

Can't you get one of those scooter thingies where you put your knee on the "seat" and propel yourself with the other leg? It would allow you to move around the house.

Sakes, why can't I live in Canada? I'd move in with you to help you out. :hugs: :heart: :hugs:

Wow, it sounds like you have been having a really crappy last couple of weeks! You should get a wheel chair. Even if your apt is on two floors, keep the wheel chair on the floor where you move around the most. Or get two, one for upstairs, and one for downstairs. If it's that tough to get around on crutches, then something else needs to be done to make things a bit easier.

Joanne said:
Wow, it sounds like you have been having a really crappy last couple of weeks! You should get a wheel chair. Even if your apt is on two floors, keep the wheel chair on the floor where you move around the most. Or get two, one for upstairs, and one for downstairs. If it's that tough to get around on crutches, then something else needs to be done to make things a bit easier.

thanks for the suggestion Joanne.
I am on the Red Cross waiting list for a wheel chair.

I'll get through it somehow ... mostly worried about my ratties - it is now almost 2 pm and they haven't had their morning meds yet because there hasn't been anyone to help ... I did manage to hop out on one foot and give the most urgent meds .... I think someone is coming over soon to carry the meds out to their room for me.

Edit: Everyone got their morning meds and treat.
Dear little Wendy is holding her own ...

I didn't see this thread until today. I'm sorry to hear about all you've been going through. Wishing you the best of luck for a speedy recovery! :D

:heart: :cuddle: Hope your having a good day today - or as good a day as you can have :cuddle: :heart: Hang in there :thumbup:

I've only just caught up on this thread. It's so good you have people to help you SQ, I'm sure if we all lived near you we'd all be in giving you a hand. I hope you can get some kind of walking aid I've seen people use these scooter looking things were you can kneel your injured leg on it and push with the good leg wonder if something like that is available to you in stead of a bulky wheel chair.
Wishing your ankle fast healing.
:hugs:

dspch911 said:
Just checking in to see how you and the ratties are doing today. Hope your feeling and getting around better... :D

Thanks ...
I feel worse every day. Everything hurts. It is so discouraging.
I still can't put any weight on my foot so I'm hoping around and unable to carry anything.
I have another appointment at the hospital fracture clinic next Wednesday.
My mother has been carrying out a tray of their food and meds for me twice a day as I can't.
Sometimes she is nice and will pick up food for me.
At present she is the only help the ratties and I have ... and tonight she announced that she is going away tomorrow for the weekend.
I'm feeling a bit discouraged ....

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

oh, no, was the patient advocate not able to get you any help?!?!?
this is insane you being left alone with no help.

I am so sorry you are dealing with all this crap. It's really frustrating being so far away and not being able to help.

Thank you to temblabamomo and her ratties for a beautiful Get well Card !!!
It is very special and means a great deal to me
It was a wonderful surprise and boosts my spirits whenever I look at it

thanks so much

I'm almost sorry I asked...that is terrible! Wish I lived closer as I'm sure many of us do... Believe me with the crap I'm going through with work right now - I might just pack up and head to Canada, but I don't have a passport so I wouldn't be able to get back - not that right now that would be a bad thing.... Hope things look up for you soon - I know what it is like to not be able to get around.

dspch911 said:
I'm almost sorry I asked...that is terrible! Wish I lived closer as I'm sure many of us do... Believe me with the crap I'm going through with work right now - I might just pack up and head to Canada, but I don't have a passport so I wouldn't be able to get back - not that right now that would be a bad thing.... Hope things look up for you soon - I know what it is like to not be able to get around.

Is there any way you can speed up the process of getting a wheel chair? Can you rent one at the drug store? I know you don't have the money, but maybe we can make something happen?

Had another xray this week and the ankle is continuing to heal.
I am now allowed to start putting some weight on my foot .... and I am still needing to put more weight on it then I should in order to provide the ratties with min care.
Still unable to carry anything or do much ... it is so frustrating!

Back