Sooo Let's Get it ALL out in the Open Shall We? - Poss. SV

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a way it's good news. Chelle didn't lose many rats did she? This means that Sendai doesn't have to be the mass killer we all thought it was. Nonetheless we now know to take much better precautions.

I lost one that was virus-related. (I had others PTS during that time, but it was due to other issues, like internal masses and PT.)

I did notice, however, that a lot of my older girls are sprouting tumors like they're weeds. My vet thinks there's a relationship between the SV and the tumor growths. Should be interesting to monitor it and see. Unfortunately, some have lungs that are too scarred to risk operation. Everyone who's healthy enough for surgery will get the tumors removed.

It's been a long and difficult trip for those directly involved, but it seems like the worst is over and things will finally start to look up. If I can help in anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me. :hugs:

lilspaz68 said:
..... Both rats tested positive for Sendai and nothing else (no CAR bacillus, etc).
So I decided not to test as at this point it is redundant and shall just keep going the way we are. :thumbup:

I am glad to see that you have the results in.

Sendai has killed a lot of rats, it has wiped out entire colonies. It is truly a dangerous virus for the rats.

The only reason that the mortality rate was so low was that you guys recognized it as a viral outbreak right away, treated quickly and aggressively, and provided good nursing care.

You guys did an outstanding job getting through this.

Bella

xxchelle said:
I did notice, however, that a lot of my older girls are sprouting tumors like they're weeds. My vet thinks there's a relationship between the SV and the tumor growths. Should be interesting to monitor it and see.

I don't know if there's any relation there. I do know that all our rats were developing tumours before we got them all spayed. Mammary tumours are fed by estrogen. Unless the tumours aren't benign mammary tumours or unless Sendai makes the rat produce more estrogen?

jorats said:
xxchelle said:
I did notice, however, that a lot of my older girls are sprouting tumors like they're weeds. My vet thinks there's a relationship between the SV and the tumor growths. Should be interesting to monitor it and see.

I don't know if there's any relation there. I do know that all our rats were developing tumours before we got them all spayed. Mammary tumours are fed by estrogen. Unless the tumours aren't benign mammary tumours or unless Sendai makes the rat produce more estrogen?

Actually, I have had a similar experience with mammary tumors and stress. I have not had many rats and have only had 4 mammary tumors in 3 rats and each one appeared at a time when the rat was under a high level of stress - 3 after the loss of a cage mate that they were very attached to and one after I intro'd 2 groups together and the larger group was trying to establish a hierarchy. I've always wondered if this was a coincidence or if stress indeed can play such a large role in their development.

Back