Scarborough Feeder Rescues - Safe

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless litters are VERY small, those girls (and you) seem to be in the clear now! :dance:

I think I am obsessed with their weights... I actually just did a graph in Excel to to see progression :giggle:

As you can tell I am a bit obsessed as well :p

I had an oops on Feb 13 for Kayi it was -5 not 19 :p Day 19 I guess confused me :p

Karen Grant (of ratguide) had an idea on their weight gains and losses...we carried the conversation further than this but here's the original statement that started me thinking hard.

Remember Zumi and her huge belly? Noshi who goes from fat back to skinny with almost no warning, Lumi swelling up like that? etc.

I can't say that this is the case with your girl with the varying weights, Shelagh ( and not sure of her age or the length of time she was with the first owner), but if she has been repeatedly bred and under nourished over an extended time the body starts breaking down fat, muscle, tissue, organs to get what it needs to keep the "engine" running. This will change how the body can metabolize and eliminate fluids. You can see fluid buildup in stomach bloating. Weight can fluctuate. So , the dilemma is whether she has been in a starving mode for a considerable period or if she is actually pregnant. Pretty much I was just pondering out loud.

Here is a great example with Zima

Intake on Jan 28th

Jan2514Bluegirl.jpg~original

2 days later, Huge seemingly pregnant belly :/

Jan2714Zima.jpg~original

and 2 days ago a very similar pic to the intake one...more filled out but not a huge difference right?

Feb1214Zima2.jpg~original

Wow, very interesting. But is it bloating? Or just a really full belly because they've been hungry for so long and gorged themselves? Hmmm, I know for starved animals you do need to limit their food initially because their body can't process a normal meal any more.
The girls look great BTW, and I think you have dodged the baby bullet!

Wow, very interesting. But is it bloating? Or just a really full belly because they've been hungry for so long and gorged themselves? Hmmm, I know for starved animals you do need to limit their food initially because their body can't process a normal meal any more.
The girls look great BTW, and I think you have dodged the baby bullet!

In the conversation with Karen, we went over a whole bunch of things, symptoms etc...and we are pretty sure that it was that.

Day 23 Weigh-in results

Zima - no gain
Talvi - 1 gram up
Kayi - 8 grams up

Kayi from being the worst to get into the mouse carrier to have her weights now hops back in and waits for puffs...she'll stay in there hoping, or will leave then come back hoping the puffs resume LOLOL

Feb1714Kayiintheweighcage.jpg~original

Feb1714Kayiintheweighcage2.jpg~original

:heart: So glad that you are probably safe!!! It is amazing how much a starved rat can eat. Your little sweeties have boodle that have never been treat right ..
until now.

I wanted to post updated pics of my not-skinny boys...they are biiiig boys now :p

I am going to post a pic of them when they arrived and then now...

The still spooky Noor

Jan2514Blackberkboy5.jpg~original

Apr1214Noor.jpg~original

The lovely now chubby Nigel

Jan2514Fawnboy2.jpg~original

Apr1214Nigel.jpg~original

and wonderful silly joker Noshi

Jan2541Minkhoodiemale2.jpg~original

Apr1214Noshi.jpg~original

Those boys look awesome with some groceries under their belts! You must find it so rewarding when you look back and see what a tremendous difference you've made. :D

Oh Shelagh they look fantastic! Thank you so much for helping these little guys, this has really made my day! Did they like their toys or show any interest?!

Wow! They are completely different rats!!! I am impressed! and in love... :thud:

Nigel is Picolo back from the Bridge... gosh I wish I could squeeze and kiss him... :love4: I so miss my heart rat...

Back