Scamp & The Monsters :) *More Cute Pic's, Nov 15*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
daisylynn said:
HjsP0-0d57e7-resize.jpg

"I'm chewing your computer wires for this."
:laugh4: This made me lol. I nominate this for RPOTM. Anyone second?

Seconded. It made me lol as well.

jorats said:
Rats are suppose to be great swimmers. How did they do? Any tried to play in the water?

They did good!

Oscar floats like a boat :laugh4:
Sophie was diving in the water, LOL
Momma kept sitting on Hannah because she did not want to be in the water :laugh4:

Everyone else just sat there, not very ammused!

Update

Last night was the 5th night with familiar grounds, everything went well!
Were up to hidey houses, blankets and litter pans now.
Even let them all fish for peas last night.

How do I know when they are ready for the cage??

When you are completely sure that something won't go wrong when they are in the cage. You have to be careful especially since blood has already been drawn.

When you are sure nothing is going to go wrong then try them in the cage together.

edit: smilez posted above me. :stickpoke:

How can you be completely sure? you never know how they will act when stuck in a cage.

The past 5 introductions have been very good, with no fighting or puffyness.

smilez_n_hugs said:
You should know your rats well enough to pick up on the fact if they are still uncomfortable....how long have their playtimes been?

I do know them well enough thanks, but you can never know what an animal will do ..esp putting them in a cage.

Play times have been from 1 hour to 2 hours daily.

First starting off, Scamp would stay to himself or run away from them, no he actually goes over and grooms everyone, and let's them groom him.

The girls have never had any problems.
Toby could care less.

Teddy and Oscar used to get all puffy when he would come close, but they have settled down also.

You asked for help so I answered there is no need to be rude. I think if you need to ask the question of if they can go in their cage together then they aren't ready but like I said no one but you really knows your rats so no one else can tell you when they are ready to go in the cage.

Also I would suggest longer blocks of playtime....like 3-4 hours to help you see if they are ready.

I usually fix a playpen like a cage and put them in there together for almost the whole day. I do this for two days and if they're ok I clean their main cage and put them. I make sure I'm at home for all those days too, supervising. I know that first day together in the cage is always scary, for me anyway. lol

mamarat said:
I usually fix a playpen like a cage and put them in there together for almost the whole day. I do this for two days and if they're ok I clean their main cage and put them. I make sure I'm at home for all those days too, supervising. I know that first day together in the cage is always scary, for me anyway. lol

They have actually been in the playpen for the last few days, with their houses, toys,litter pans and blankets from the cage.

And yes your right the first day in the cage is scary, because your never know what they will be like inside a cage, and it is also harder to get to them if they get into a scuffle when they are in a cage.

Personally I think they are ready ..of course I am always going to be second guessing myself because you never really know

Cleaning the cage now, once it's clean should I just put the bedding in there and leave houses, etc out for the first little while? just to see how they do in the cage.

You can't completely know but if you think they are ready as you say then all you can do is try.

I always put food in the cage with them when they first go in which has helped a bit sometimes.

I would still have hammocks and hidey houses in there and toys and food. Can you use the same ones you've been using on intros? It would have all their smells in there.

Back