Scamp & The Monsters :) *More Cute Pic's, Nov 15*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These introductions will be my first "official" introductions. My previous introductions were only easy, because Hunter & Toby lived with the girls for such a long time, but used to play with the boys all the time ..so scents were very familiar to everyone and everyone was around the same age.

Scamp and Tucker are still only babes at 7 & 9 months old. The Oscar group ranges from 18 months to 24ish months.

I think, Oscar, Toby & Scamp will be the big problems.

Oscar is the big Alpha (weighs 717 grams) who picks up who he wants when he want's and just flicks them, haha (He also always gives Scamp & Tucker the stink eye from across the room all the time)
Toby is the Jerk of the group who hates change and new things, he will be the big white puff in all the pictures, LOL
& Scamp is the Jerk and the Alpha of him and Tucker.

Scamp & Tucker were snipped on Friday October 15th, Introductions will start October 29 or shortly after (I have to make sure my vet is working the night of intro's (just in case of bad injuries).

I know that introductions should start on non familiar grounds then moved to familiar grounds then add houses and stuff ..then before putting everyone in the cage ..the cage needs to be scrubbed down.

This Friday (Oct 22) I will be putting Scamps & Tuckers cage next to the monster cage that everyone lives in so they can have a week of smells first!

I will be posting pictures during the introductions as well!

But how should I go about doing these intro's? any advice would be helpful :)

Please keep in mind, I am introducing a 2 rat group (Father (9 months) & Son (7 months)) to a 7 rat group 5 who are related 9brothers, sisters and mom), 2 adopted ..4 who lived together for 14 months, 3 who lived together for 14 months and they all lived together for 3 months.

Okay I am REALLY getting sick of you!

This post is not only here for information, but it is also here to post pic's of my intro progress! ..just like everyone else dose!

You specifically asked how to go about doing intros which has already been discussed...so I linked you to it. I don't get your issue? However if you had actually attempted intros and had a specific question about your specific situation then there would be a reason for this thread.

Ratty Momma said:
Okay I am REALLY getting sick of you!

This post is not only here for information, but it is also here to post pic's of my intro progress! ..just like everyone else dose!

DID YOU NOT JUST READ WHAT I SAID!

Yes, I know!

If she don't want to answer, then she dose not have to. But I don't see the problem with me having a thread for my intro progress (most people make one) and having a question in it also. Regardless if I never asked a question in the post ..the post would still be there for intro progress and I am sure I will have intro questions to ask when they start.

I'd have to say its the "And yet again... " coupled with your post on viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21487 that has offended Ratty_momma.

And I personally think the Intro thread is overwhelming. Its too many pages, and its hard to keep track of whose answering questions where.

Each ratty intro is different, I personally listed my rats personalities and asked for help with it. If you don't want to answer you don't have too, its for people who want to discuss it.

I could see if this was just a post on asking for help, but it's not. It's also a post to update my intro progress.

Everyone is entitled to make threads for advice and using it as their sounding board.
I sure hope people here don't get scared away from making threads even if the topic has been covered before.

Ratty_Momma, sounds like you got a good plan in place. The first intro with a new group is always scary. Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

handmeafish said:
I'd have to say its the "And yet again... " coupled with your post on viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21487 that has offended Ratty_momma.

And I personally think the Intro thread is overwhelming. Its too many pages, and its hard to keep track of whose answering questions where.

There's also tons of threads about people doing intros or other things that get posted about a lot with "any tips?" being asked, and this is the frist I've seen anyone being yelled at for it.

jorats said:
Everyone is entitled to make threads for advice and using it as their sounding board.
I sure hope people here don't get scared away from making threads even if the topic has been covered before.

Ratty_Momma, sounds like you got a good plan in place. The first intro with a new group is always scary. Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Thanks Jo!

Should I do the bed Method? (non familiar grounds) for a week?
then if that goes well, do familiar grounds? like the couch or should I add houses and stuff to the bed first?

I agree with you about why you posted this new thread, Ratty_Momma. Personalities are always different, and we love seeing how progress is being made!

Beds... if you wash the sheets and any under-sheets (like dust-mite covers or whatever) it should be okay. Reason is if any rats have previously marked the sheets (or more likely the under-sheets, as those get washed less often, at least by me!) then smells and 'territories' will be set.

Personally I like the bathtub, but I think if you have all clean sheets/under-sheets that the bed should be just as fine.

Best of luck with your boys and I can't wait to hear how things go!

Smilez, RM was asking for tips after giving us specific information about the rats being introed. If she was doing a general call out for intro info, you could have just linked the intros thread, which I'm sure she is aware of. Sometimes using your google-fu is applicable... that's not the case here.

I like the tub because they can't escape lol.
I also had a lot of success with making them eat side by side. I put a lot of baby cereal on a paper plate so they have to be next to each other.

With intros, a lot of the times you go about it by using the rats as your guide. You will know if you can go faster by adding toys to the neutral area or not. So say you do neutral for two days, things go fantastic, you add a box and things don't go so well, you know to back up. Do neutral with no toys for a week, then move to familiar with no toys yet for a day or so.
So really it's all about what your rats tell you to do.

I'll try the bed first, if that don't work ill try the tub. So you don't put water in the tub, right? haha

Back