Rocko's neuter 11/7 done! question last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can relax now... glad it went well. I'm sure your excited to see the little fella, give him gentle scritches from me.

Yay! I am glad all went well! :joy:

Poor baby, I know it must have been scary for him at the vet, of course! My boys never want to come out of their carrier either when we have taken them to see their vet. Imagine how they must see it all from their perspective. Strange smells, strange voice of the doctor, bright and foreign examining room...just lots of things to scare a wee fur one. I feel for him. :sad3:

BUT, he is all done now and gets to come home! Let us know how he does and send him my kisses and rubs! :hugs:

thank you everyone!

he's home :dance:
he seemed very happy to see me and be back in his hammock.
gave him his metacam and he took a nice nap, now he's chowing down on a later dinner.
Gave him all the extra skritches sent his way.
:heart:

I wasn't there to pick him up and I forgot to ask, can he have out time tomorrow?

Oh so happy he is back at home and comfy! I am sure he is very relieved and happy to be back home to his familiar surroundings. :D

Metacam and plenty of naps will help him along wonderfully, I am sure! I can't think of any reason why he can't have out time if he wants to. If he is ready to stretch his legs and get some outside time, I think it would be fine! Just my opinion!

So glad he is back home with you! I am so proud of him for doing so well! What a good boy! :hugs:

So happy for him and you that all went well and he's back where he belongs.. He can have out time, don't let him climb for a bit tho.

Ah, Rocko has been neutered? Hmmm... I must have missed threads. Who is Rocko? LOL
I take it you have taken in more boys since your two scaredy cats? I need an update!
And glad to hear Rocko is doing fine after his surgery. :)

Joanne said:
Ah, Rocko has been neutered? Hmmm... I must have missed threads. Who is Rocko? LOL
I take it you have taken in more boys since your two scaredy cats? I need an update!
And glad to hear Rocko is doing fine after his surgery. :)
:giggle: Yes I added a new boy in mid October. I had seen his post on CL sometime in the summer or maybe last spring? one boy living alone, owners had no time for him.
Then the post was gone, so I assumed he got a home.
It showed up again in early October and I was so upset to learn he was still alone, so I wrote to his owners and they agreed to bring him to me.

He came with the name Rocko, but he didn't respond to it so for awhile the poor boy had a new name every day, while I tried to find one that "fit" :lol:
Got tired of that and decided to just keep the name he came with. :thumbup:

he's a very sweet boy most of the time but he wants to be Top Guy and he's not too sweet during intro's so I decided it was best to get him nuetered

he's met my gentle previously terrified boys and it goes ok on the table but they can't share any play room space on the floor yet. Rocko is too territorial and just flips out and goes into rat ball mode immediately. :roll:

so, he's had his surgery and I'm hoping he's now going to be a kinder and gentler alpha.

here he is right after he got home from the vets and got his first dose of pain meds:
002-6.jpg

003-9.jpg

and here he is just a few minutes ago- he's eager to come out and play!
004-9.jpg

005-6.jpg

I'm glad that it went so smoothly! I wonder if man rats have a harder time with getting fixed than the females do... kinda like how human men act like a cold is the end of the world. What do you think?

I don't know, he's been eagerly soaking up all the extra lovin and treats but he's not acting like a big baby the way my ex husband used to when he had the sniffles :giggle:

he seems to be just fine, if he's got pain he's hiding it well.

the only difference I've seen is some porphyrin around his nose when he wakes up that I've never on him seen before

he looks at me like he's in love with me, kind of like my daughter's cat used to. Like he thinks I'm a female rat and he's my boyfriend :lol:

Aww, he loves his mama! I bet he is grateful to you and happy to see you now that his scary vet trip is over!

Rocko looks soooo sweet in the photos...getting a drink of yummy water, having some treats, relaxing in his hammock. He looks like he is ready to play and go exploring! I am glad he is feeling better!

now that Rocko has his little deflated sacks of nuttin instead of nuts :lol:

will the hormone level go down a lot all at once, initially (I say with great hopefullness) and then perhaps taper off,
or is it more of an overall gradual process?

Well, for Maximus, it was a gradual thing, after his neuter, but it was not a long process. I can only speak from our own experience and maybe all rats are different in how long it takes them to mellow out after being neutered.

For the first week, maybe week and a half, he did not seem that much different than before, but then we started noticing that his "bullying" of his brother Achilles was getting mellower and less aggressive. He just kept getting more mellow and we noticed that the aggressive bullying was gone. Now he and his brother are just little cuddlebugs together, and he never picks on Achilles anymore. In turn, Achilles became much happier too, of course, and not stressed out from being picked on. So now, our two boys are very affectionate and happy brothers. :cloud9: Any tussling that goes on is just gentle stuff like, "I am going to groom your neck right NOW!" and then after about 5 seconds, it is over. And Achilles loves to be power groomed by his brother, so it's all good. Ha ha. That is about it!

Petunia said:
will the hormone level go down a lot all at once, initially (I say with great hopefullness) and then perhaps taper off, or is it more of an overall gradual process?
I think, from reading various posts by various people, that it is a very individual thing per rat. Some rats have a very dramatic change quite soon, and others take many weeks to mellow out. Play it by ear and see how he does, but don't lose hope if it doesn't seem like much change fast enough.

Back