Rocko's neuter 11/7 done! question last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
my new boy Rocko is scheduled to be neutered next Thursday. oh I'm gonna miss his furry little 'nads :giggle:
but not his bad attitude with the other boys :roll:

I have never had a rat neutered before.
what sorts of things do I need to know beforehand? The vet is now very experienced with neuters, as she does them for MRR

Do they normally get antibiotics afterward or only if they develop an infection? should I request an antibiotic?
what about pain meds? I can get metacam, but will he need it?

will I have to try to keep him from licking himself?

I've read that it's normal for there to be more swelling the day after the surgery, so I won't freak out about that....

starting to get a wee bit nervous.

and now for a parting shot of those cute little furry balls :giggle:
014-3.jpg

Just make sure they give you metacam for 2-3 days. They will probably tell you to keep him separated for 10 days or so, but that isn't necessary - he still lives alone though doesn't he? If not, he only needs to be alone for 1-2 days. You will just need to watch for abscess - I never had any. All my guys had stitches on the inside so there was no wounds on the outside, this is what they looked like. Just make sure they give pain meds before you leave.
Popper
IMG_2977_zps68826c7e.jpg

Throttle
IMG_2788_zpsc1fb39aa.jpg

Good luck and healing vibes from all of us :heart: :cuddle:

oh my they have just little empty sacks after eh? I don't know what is wrong with me that that makes me sad! :sad3: :laugh4:
(I'm laughing at myself for being so sentimental or whatever)

I'll make sure to get the metacam, thanks :thumbup:

so no antibiotics unless it gets infected?

My vet sends them home with no meds at all and honestly most come home and are ready to play within a few hours. Good luck with your little one.

My boys were neutered in March I totally felt guilty for taking their manhood so I can understand how your feeling. That picture of you little fellas rear end made me laugh :giggle: love your sense of humor!
Galaxy & Moon were sent home without meds, but should have pain-relief meds as Galaxy showed signs of pain about 4 or 5 hours after the surgery. Defo get some metacam just in case.
Galaxy also developed a abscess so you could always ask for some antibiotics just in case so you don't have to make an extra trip to the vets.
Wishing him all the best for Thursday.

Yeah, I had the same experience as MamaRat with my boy Maximus that we had neutered. Our small animal vet sent us home with some metacam for pain medication but she said antibiotics should not be needed unless he was having some problems after a few days.

I was fretting and worrying like you also, as it was our first neuter too, and I even set up a comfy bed area for Maxie at the bottom of his house, expecting him to be frail and slow after surgery but he surprised me by walking around his house like normal, ignoring his downstairs recovery area in his house, and going to to the top level to plunk down in his hammock!

I really only noticed that the first several hours after he got home, he seemed to keep adjusting his position on his hammock like he could not get comfortable...sort of fidgety. I am sure he was sore and it was not too comfy, but with the metacam and lots of naps, he was basically good as new by the next morning! So that was our experience!

Here is Maximus' first post neuter photo that we took of him the day after his surgery. He looks pretty darn perky, yes? :thumbup:

And don't feel bad if you are worrying and fretting also. We all go through it and we want our babies to be comfy and not in pain. Believe me, I wrung my hands and watched him like a hawk when we got him home from the vet, my husband too! But he was just fine. He just needed some quiet time to nap and take it easy for a bit, and I am sure the metacam for the pain made him as comfy as he could be.

I am sure your boy will be just fine! If you feel anything is not quite right after the first day he is home, don't be afraid to call your vet and voice any concerns though! Good luck to your little sweetie! I will send healing vibes his way! :hugs:

Maximus is a doll!
thanks everyone for your advice, info and good wishes.

he goes in tomorrow morning, and I'm really not too worried... the vet has been doing tons and tons of neuters for MRR and only lost a few at the very beginning, and those were from a hoarding case where so many of the rats had heart problems.
she'll check him out before his surgery of course and if there's any reason to suspect trouble, he wont' have it done. He seems very healthy to me and quite active, more like a young girl than an adult male LOL very frisky!!

Vet said only about 10% get infections and those tend to be the heavier ones who have a harder time keeping themselves clean (another good reason not to let your rats get too big)
he'll have glue instead of stitches, that's good. :thumbup:
and I'm getting metacam to take home, but I think I'll pass on the antibiotics... although those might be nice to have on hand just in case. Hmmm.

so basically I'm comfortable that this is the right thing to do for him but I probably will have a hard time thinking about anything else when he's at the vets.
will be a long day tomorrow!! :giggle:

dspch911 said:
- he still lives alone though doesn't he? If not, he only needs to be alone for 1-2 days.

yeh he's still living alone :roll:
he's a bit too rough when he tries to assert his dominance over the other two
He gets time with them on the table but I stopped putting them together on the floor, he just go nuts

He's also apparently upset by the scent of one of my cats. One of my cats, Nell the older girl, is in the rat room often sleeping and that doesnt' bother him, my other cat shows an interest in the rats, and if SHE is in the room, Rocko will stand up and sniff like crazy
yesterday she came into the room while Rocko was climbing up me and all of a sudden he bit my arm!
didn't break the skin because I had a sweatshirt on, but it left a bruise.
little bugger!

will be sad to see the fuzz balls gone but not the attitude!!
:giggle:

Awww, thanks! I think Maximus is a very handsome boy too...and of course I am his biased Mom! :wink2:

Best wishes and healing vibes coming to Rocko! I am sure he will be just fine! I know your day will be a long while waiting for his surgery to be done. I am sure you will be very relieved and happy when it is all done and Rocko is back at home. :)

Let us know how it goes!

Petunia said:
dspch911 said:
- he still lives alone though doesn't he? If not, he only needs to be alone for 1-2 days.

yeh he's still living alone :roll:
he's a bit too rough when he tries to assert his dominance over the other two
He gets time with them on the table but I stopped putting them together on the floor, he just go nuts

He's also apparently upset by the scent of one of my cats. One of my cats, Nell the older girl, is in the rat room often sleeping and that doesnt' bother him, my other cat shows an interest in the rats, and if SHE is in the room, Rocko will stand up and sniff like crazy
yesterday she came into the room while Rocko was climbing up me and all of a sudden he bit my arm!
didn't break the skin because I had a sweatshirt on, but it left a bruise.
little bugger!

will be sad to see the fuzz balls gone but not the attitude!!
:giggle:

That gets me thinking. I wonder if the reason Oliver, and sometimes, Snickers bites/nips really hard on the bf's legs when he is sitting on the floor of the rat room when we have the boys out is do to the cat smell. His cat is always laying in his lap. They don't do that to me - they only like to attack my toes - all the boys do!!!!

Healing vibes to Rocko - and peaceful calming vibes to you :heart: Off with the "rathood" I say if you cannot behave!!! :giggle:

well I dropped him off at 8:30, now to wait for "the call"

I guess I wont' be able to call him my little nutball after this- cuz he won't have any nuts nor any balls :laugh4:

he did not want to come out of the carrier to be weighed, it's the first time I've seen him look really scared. :(
poor little man

Petunia said:

I guess I wont' be able to call him my little nutball after this- cuz he won't have any nuts nor any balls :laugh4:

he did not want to come out of the carrier to be weighed, it's the first time I've seen him look really scared. :(
poor little man

You can call him your fuzz butt or sackless one :laugh4:

dspch911 said:
Petunia said:

poor little man

You can call him your fuzz butt or sackless one :laugh4:

:laugh4:

well I got the call already! he's all done, awake and alert!
a friend will be picking him up later after work

Back