Rico the Doberman

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really sucks. They claim that they would injure their tails later in life but as you know it's illegal now in most European countries and if tail injuries were such a huge issue, then I doubt it would still be illegal.

littledevils said:
It really sucks. They claim that they would injure their tails later in life but as you know it's illegal now in most European countries and if tail injuries were such a huge issue, then I doubt it would still be illegal.
True..
Yeah I´ve seen dogs hurt their tails(small wounds on the end of their tails), but major damage? never..
My dog has never had a tail injury as far as I know.. Not even when he accidentally got it between a car door(or I´ve been told he did)..
I would get it if you docked the tail AFTER he injured his tail severely.. Not just because he might possibly one time in life if he´s really unlucky or you´re stupid injure his tail..

Following that logic, Rico should have his legs amputated, since he hurt his feet all the time.... :wallbang:

jorats said:
I love seeing his tail and floppy ears, so gorgeous!
I love where you live, so beautiful.
Thanks :) He looked pretty ridiculous when he was little to get them to be floppy..
Have to see if I can find pics of his puppy time someday..

MissGuardian said:
Following that logic, Rico should have his legs amputated, since he hurt his feet all the time.... :wallbang:

That's totally what I tell people - we should all have our legs amputated at birth because one day we might injure them so severely that they have to be amputated even though as we all know, most of us keep both of our legs for life...

I foster Pit Bulls and they are known to have "happy tail" - They wag their tails so hard that sometimes they injure them... My prev foster dog managed to splatter my walls full of blood once because she smacked it so hard... so after that, when we came home, we'd "herd" her into the living room before the big happy greeting so she had ample room for her tail wags :D Again, most Pits do just fine, some injure them... some injure them so severely repeatedly that yes, they have to have them amputated..... just like some dogs injure a leg that has to be amputated. But there's really no need to do it at birth... same w. the ears of course.

littledevils said:
MissGuardian said:

That's totally what I tell people - we should all have our legs amputated at birth because one day we might injure them so severely that they have to be amputated even though as we all know, most of us keep both of our legs for life...

I foster Pit Bulls and they are known to have "happy tail" - They wag their tails so hard that sometimes they injure them... My prev foster dog managed to splatter my walls full of blood once because she smacked it so hard... so after that, when we came home, we'd "herd" her into the living room before the big happy greeting so she had ample room for her tail wags :D Again, most Pits do just fine, some injure them... some injure them so severely repeatedly that yes, they have to have them amputated..... just like some dogs injure a leg that has to be amputated. But there's really no need to do it at birth... same w. the ears of course.

I agree completely there.. Luckily Rico has calmed down a bit, so he don´t hit his tail as hard anymore..
I´d love to meet a pit one day.. Or even an amstaff..
I think they are adorable :heart: But illegal.. :gaah:

That's too bad that you have breed specific legislation in Norway :cry4:

They are just like any other dog, they don't have locking jaws, they don't "just snap" etc. Their jaws are strong but there's non bully breeds (e.g. German Shepherds) that have stronger jaws.

You raise them well, you socialize them, you train them and they are just amazing dogs.

I often foster medical fosters.... these dogs come to me in pain, often just before or right after surgery, I'm a complete stranger to them and I have to take care of them and not a single growl, only tail wags and kisses. If my own boy is in pain, watch out, he'll bite anyone but me and he's not a Pit Bull.

Unfortunately irresponsible owners are ruining it for everybody and add the media hype to that and next thing you know the dogs get banned.

I'm not saying all Pit Bulls are safe... dog aggression is pretty common as it is with all terriers... so that might need managing. And no matter what you do when you raise them, genetics also play a role so there are dogs that for some reason aren't sound but as an owner you will either have to manage or if it's really bad, euthanize the dog. In rescue we also have a lot of dogs who went through hell and back and they are totally sound, awesome dogs.... It really comes down to you as an owner knowing your dog, watching your dog....

I was bitten by a Beagle, my cousin was severely mauled by a Golden Retriever and spent weeks in hospital... any dog can bite and esp. any larger breed dog can do a lot of damage.

Any dog can do damage.. That´s so true.. The only dog outside the family that´s snapped at me, was a dachs..
Dogs are amazing creatures! And it really do depend on the owner.. My aunt had lhasa apsos.. They had NO rules and snapped at nothing.. Rico can snap, but that´s only due to his past, and we try to avoid it..

More movies/pics will come shortly

[BBvideo 450,375:ijwoqon8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSJSw-KXQc[/BBvideo:ijwoqon8]
Good morning!

[BBvideo 450,375:ijwoqon8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz8EWOChWHg[/BBvideo:ijwoqon8]
An older film.. Made him a new toy..

What a stunning, gorgeous boy!!! Make sure you tell him what a handsome face he has, along with many kisses from me. You can see his personality in each still photo too - it comes across clear as day, a little snuggly honey-bear in a big body, and I'd walk with him anytime!

I saw a guy in my neighbourhood once walking his doberman - the poor dog had his ears all wrapped up like he was fresh from the vet's doing the ear thing - if I didn't stand a risk of crashing the car I would have stuck my head out the window to tell him just what he should do to his OWN ears...

I mean, cripes, Lovell gets yeasties in his ears because he has floppy ears and long hair inside his ears - but you don't see me chopping his ears off! Nope, I just put some steroid/cleaning solution from the vet in his ears every three days, and we're happy as clams. And probably he stands more of a chance of infection with long hair than any doberman ever would with their peach fuzz!

M0onkist said:
What a stunning, gorgeous boy!!! Make sure you tell him what a handsome face he has, along with many kisses from me. You can see his personality in each still photo too - it comes across clear as day, a little snuggly honey-bear in a big body, and I'd walk with him anytime!

I saw a guy in my neighbourhood once walking his doberman - the poor dog had his ears all wrapped up like he was fresh from the vet's doing the ear thing - if I didn't stand a risk of crashing the car I would have stuck my head out the window to tell him just what he should do to his OWN ears...

I mean, cripes, Lovell gets yeasties in his ears because he has floppy ears and long hair inside his ears - but you don't see me chopping his ears off! Nope, I just put some steroid/cleaning solution from the vet in his ears every three days, and we're happy as clams. And probably he stands more of a chance of infection with long hair than any doberman ever would with their peach fuzz!

Thank you for the nice reply :D I´ll tell him when he wakes up tomorrow :wink2:
He is one of the most cuddly dogs I´ve ever met! An oversize lap dog really.. His problem is that he´s really whiny and has separation anxiety.. But someone is usually always home with him..

Aw poor thing :( Rico has issues with his ears too.. Pretty much chronic ear infections :( but we don´t know what originally caused it :/

[BBvideo 450,375:3tzi9td8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHiSi6jgJzc[/BBvideo:3tzi9td8]
Playing with his dog pyramid(rest in peace..... he threw it over a fence :wallbang: )

Searching for his wet (raw) food
[BBvideo 450,375:3tzi9td8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM3m83_AjT4[/BBvideo:3tzi9td8]

Joanne said:
What a great mental exercise for him to hunt for his food! So often dogs forget to use their noses. :)
It is!
We usually go for shorter walks in new places where he can go sniff.. Or he has to search for his food..
It wear him out more than long, fast walks do

Long time no see!
I´ve been meaning to update here for a while, but I never got around to..
Things aren´t looking too good :(

We´ve found out Rico likely has wobblers, some kind of bleeding disorder, a growing heart(with symptoms) and some kind of issue with a leg(could be related to the bleeding thing).. He also hasn´t been able to get the last of the injured teeth out, since he wouldn´t stop bleeding :(

We´re going back to the vet on the 12th and will know more then about everything.. But I´m not optimistic :sad3:

We´ve been walking short walks, and are supposed to continue, but I also think that if he don´t have very long it´s just as important to let him do things he LOVE and have fun!

Today we went out with my dad to let him go track training, letting him track me/my dad.

Here´s a video!
[BBvideo 450,375:zpqzf1pp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uYarkhLqc[/BBvideo:zpqzf1pp]

I have LOTS of new pics, but I don´t have time to put them up now..
I think that covered most of it?..

I totally agree that it is quality of life, not quantity, that is important.

It looks like he has a wonderful time tracking. You are doing a great job of training his nose! :)

Joanne said:
I totally agree that it is quality of life, not quantity, that is important.

It looks like he has a wonderful time tracking. You are doing a great job of training his nose! :)
With the number of things wrong with him(most has showed up within the last 2 months), I don't think there's a lot we can do for him.. So I want to make the best of it!

He absolutely loves it! And so do I.. It's spmething I want to do more of when I get a puppy :)
Thank you! :)

Pics from today's (short) walk

null-2.jpg

Looks like he's got a docked tail here :shock:
null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

Tired after his walk :giggle:
null-8.jpg

Back