Rescue Effort Feb 2013

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Joanne, we still need money to cover expenses. Jorats would be the one to contact.
===========================================

The ad disappeared from kijiji this evening .....
I have been emailing see about getting them but couldn't do anything because I can't find anyone who will foster them for a week :(

The woman emailed me back tonight .... her husband has been missing for 8 days ....
She would like me to drive out there are and get all of the rats
I want to ....... BUT I have no where to take them !
We have been promised donations of cages, dishes, food and hammocks .... but need foster Help!

Any suggestions? Anyone who can help before they are gone?
I have asked everyone I can think of .... :(

Looks like we have a foster home :joy:
but if transoprt can not be arranged for March 3, will still need a foster home from March 3 to March 10.

Spent the day making long distance phone calls and sending emails.
Have documentation from the US CDC re requirements for medical documentation and have made arrangements with the US border agency in Calais Maine.
Waiting to hear back re transport date so I can make arrangements re pick up and transport to Fredericton, NB and a vet apointment.

Please help if you can as we do not yet have enough to cover expenses.

thanks

Great News!!
And for those I didn't thank earlier ....Thank you Beth Khan. Thank you Petunia. Thank you Sarah/thefriggintribe.
Thank you dspch911. Thank you Temblabamomo. Thank you Nickelrats. Thank you Jorats. Thank you Wendy.

The rats will be traveling to Maine on Sunday March 3.
It has been difficult to find anyone with a passport to transport the rats over the border so Godmother has agreed to do this.
Thank you Godmother.

A woman on the Maritime Rat Rescue site has volunteered to foster the rats until they leave.
I don't know her but she sounds nice. (Edit: Genny&Fran on this forum)

We will try to get the borrowed cages etc set up tomorrow and drive to Nackawic sometime tomorrow or first thing on Sunday.
I will try to get lots of pictures for you.

It looks like this is happening people
You are all so amazing!!

Godmother delivered 2 martins cages last night as well as cage accessories, etc and lab blocks.
The woman who is going to foster, Alyssa (Genny&Fran) set the cages up.
(She only has room for 3 cages so only using largest and most versatile of the cages people were willing to loan.
Thank you to everyone who offered to loan cages.)

The woman with the rats went away yesterday and will be back late tonight, so I am hoping to pick them up tomorrow.

Thank you Joanne.

Thank you to mia9_28 's mother for donating some money toward food.
I used it to buy some vegs (peas) & fruit ... they have probably never had that before.

The woman who had the ratties was away on the weekend so today was my first opportunity to go pick up the rats.

Although 30 rats were advertised, there were only 11 rats there today.
Two boys (including the daddy) were kept as pets so I picked up 9 rats - 3 boys and 6 girls.
The beige hooded girl is the mama of the other 8 ratties.
I was told the older rats killed many of the babies.
I was also told that the snake was sold last week and the person who bought the snake took all the surviving babies :(
The rats were not separated so all 6 girls are likely pregnant, again :(
One girl has a bit of a belly and may be in her last week of pregnancy.
I was told that the mama was the only girl that would care for and nurse babies .... and that last week she was nursing 3 litters.

All rats are very thin.
This week they will be free fed Harlan Tech 2014, & healthy treats such as daily veg and small pieces of fruit.
They will also be supplemented 2 or 3 times per day with soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal to give them the extra nutrition they need.

When I picked them up. they were all terrified .... jumping, running, trying desperately to escape from my hand.
Being picked up = being eaten by a snake and they were so very very frightened :sad3:

I was told they are unsocialized biters but actually they are just terrified ratties who were trying to protect themselves and their babies. I was not bitten.
The ratties have not been handled or socialized as they were the exboyfriend's feeders and the woman did not
want her young children to get attached to the 10 ratties (the 11th was a pet).

After the long car ride to their new foster home, the ratties were more relaxed and less fearful.
They were all very, very sweet, curious, friendly and a few licked fingers when handled and moved into cages.
Given the small number, only two of the cages loaned by members were needed.

Thank you for helping rescue these ratties and their unborn babies.
I took lots of pictures tonight ... here are a few to get you started.

The woman who gave me the rats may be joining this forum.

February25rattiesbefore_zps03062eca.jpg

Meeting the ratties ....

At their new foster home:

3 young boys in the martins

February25threeyoungboys_zps15be49c2.jpg

February25threeyoungboysinthemartinscage_zpsfb9317f1.jpg

February25threelittleboys_zpse9cb69b3.jpg

So glad you were able to make this happen :joy: These little ones and the unborn litters are going to have a second chance at a great new life. I'm sure they'll start to fatten up and become sweet little goobers in no time. Thank you for picking them up and organizing this. Reading of their successful retrieval has made my day :D

Back