Rescue babies! 4 babies went to a new home

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news on the re-absorption but Chelle's right that baby does look off especially since you can see his size compared to the can :( ....have you been supplementing the babies? If not then I would start.

Oh man, he's scary skinny. Definitely start offering some supplemental food, like ensure and baby cereal, or even milk replacement formula, I don't think they're getting everything they need from mom.

i gave mom ensure when she was nursing so maybe it was just too late to help the babies? i'll have to pick some up tomrow they eat alot they eat HT and are still nursing from mom

my best freind had decided she wanted a pair of my ratties and was anxious to get them after some talk with sorraia and some thinking to myself i decided that they are ready to be weaned and rehomed if they werent going to my freind they would have just been weaned the rest are weaned and still awaiting homes my freind was sitting there just talking to me when she looked at the baby cage then to me and her bf and said" we should get three" and her bf agreed mentioning that if one died they'd still have eachother and thus they picked out a third so we went out and about and i found them some toys and such then we were back in my kitchen watching the babies again and my freind spoke up again. "maybe we should get four" lol i of course agreed i trust my freind with my everything and know she will always do whats best for these ratties so! Eric and frankienstein became Eric Frankiestein Raptor and Gomez!! one happy little rat colony my freind is bluefinch she's new to the chat and to rats but is always willing to learn ^ ^ that leaves me with 4 more babies to find homes for! here are my good bye pics of my freinds ratties (even though i'm going to see them saturday lol to see how they've settled in!) the first two are eric then its frankie and gomez then the last two are raptor

Weren't they about a week when you got them? So that would put them at what, 4 weeks now? Babies should be weaned at 5 weeks, some breeders even say 6 weeks but I've also heard of 6 week old rats getting pregnant (shudder) so I wean at 5 weeks.

Edit: I just saw they started opening eyes on Oct 25th, so that would put them at 4.5 weeks now.

Roughly yes but they were also, malnorished when they got here so I really don't know exactly how old they are there eating solids and have. Almost stopped nursing from mom who's compleatly drained from all of them

there are studies out there that show that seperation from mom too early, and if they aren't weaned properly, can cause stress and behavioural problems in the babies

Back