Rats Town Rattery is NO MORE - Back on Track :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchelle

Who was around for the Clark/Moncton rat train rescue in 2008?

Well take that filth, that neglect, and quadruple the overcrowding, and you get the lovely Rats Town Rattery!

Early yesterday I saw an ad on Kijiji for "rats giving away for free can't keep". I decided to email for more information, but first I decided to click on "View Poster's Other Ads". You can imagine my surprise when I found ads for Rats Town Rattery offering their "cute rats" in their other posts.

So I called the number and spoke to Julieann. She said they had "20 males and 10 females" and that they were all "a year or two old". I called Shelagh and discussed what we could and what we should do. We decided we would go down there last night to assess the situation and then figure out what we could do.

It was so so SO much worse than anything we were expecting.

The smell hit us as soon as we walked in the door. Little did we know we'd be smelling that smell for the next few hours. We were shown their "rat room", and I had to restrain myself from punching the guy in the face. The boys were in a homemade horrid wood box. It was a bit narrower than an FN, and shorter, with NO LEVELS. ALL the boys were in this cage. At first glance, I estimated around 25-30 boys. Clearly they didn't know how to count, either.

I looked down at the girls... they were all in a blue-bottomed Living World Rat Resort cage, dimensions 25 x 24 x 16 inches (cage calculator says 2 rats max... we use them at the rescue for pairs that come in). ALL the girls were in one. All 19 of them.
girlscagejun2.jpg

Again, these people clearly don't know how to count.

They also tried to pawn a huge bag of pine off on us. :sick2: I refused to take it.

The guy thought all the minks were Russian blues, and when we said "Nope, they're mink." he asked if it was rare.

So, Shelagh and I looked at each other and realized that there was no way in hell we could leave the rats there. So we crammed all the boys into a Rat Resort cage for travel, and the girls in the other, and we crammed them into my truck. We didn't know final numbers at this point, and we wouldn't until we got home.

We got to Shelagh's and started "triage". The 28 boys are in bad shape. Lots have abscesses from fights, one little beige boy has an infected wound on his shoulder that looks very painful.
beigedumbowithinfectedwoundjun2.jpg

beigedumbodanglingjun2.jpg

There are two nakies, one has a large cyst on his back, the other has a dead eye that looks like it's an old injury, and there's no smell of infection. He's very VERY skinny too.
nakieboywitheye3jun2.jpg

nakieboywitheyejun2.jpg

They are all so filthy, the dirtiest rats I've ever seen in my life. Here is a typical belly:
typicalfilthonboysjun2.jpg

The girls are all younger, and in a bit better shape than the boys. One is older and is showing symptoms of PT, we're starting her on steroids.
Pockywannabejun3.jpg

The others are between 6-8 months old, and there's a heck of a lot of blacks! Haha. They've figured out the hammocks fast.
girlsfirsthammockjun3.jpg

There's one blue dumbo female who is apparently mom to a lot of the ratties. She looks so young...
Bluemomjun3.jpg

Here's two of her son's, these one were in the Rats Town Rattery ad (http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other- ... Z197749408)
minkvaridumbojun3.jpg

And this is Dad:
beigeberkjun2.jpg

So Chelle's Critter Haven is in need of some fosters and permanent homes for the healthy ratties, boys and girls. Feel free to post on this thread if you're interested in fostering, or PM me or email me at [email protected]

Whenever Shelagh and I start to feel like, "What the hell did we just get ourselves into?" we keep saying to each other "We just shut down Rats Town Rattery." And that feels good.

You are both... incredible! Not only did you save those ratties right now, you definitely prevented so many more badly planned breedings. :bow:

I can't believe how dirty some of those rats are! And wow. The disgusting conditions they were living in. Those Rat Town Rattery people should be forced to see a doctor or something if they think they were taking care of them adequately. :rant:

I hope they can all find temporary or permanent homes fast!

The woman cried her eyes out when we took the rats, too. It's like, how can you claim to care so much, but not even know how many frickin rats you have?? Some people...

Oh my god...that's terrible. Honestly, how can somebody walk by all of that everyday and think that's OK??? Do they they think being covered in filth, cysts and infections is normal??? I don't even know what else to say :redhot:

OMG!!!! I just went to their forums too the other day wondering what happened to them.

That is so disgusting to know all this time they were trying to tell us how its done when they were not even doing right!!!!!

Hugs to you guys and those poor ratties!

I wonder if you guys should post the pictures on there site to show others what they have been doing? the other people there think they are still doing right(even though they do not go in much they may still check in time to time)

Bamboo said:
Oh my god...that's terrible. Honestly, how can somebody walk by all of that everyday and think that's OK??? Do they they think being covered in filth, cysts and infections is normal??? I don't even know what else to say :redhot:

Probably because lots of people do think it's fine to ignore smaller pets health, because people assume vets can do nothig for them.

Wow... a rattery filthy like that, that just blows my mind. They really thought they knew what they were doing too.
Thank god they've now been closed down.
Those poor poor rats.

OMG :shock:

I'm at a loss for words...... Thank god you guys took them in!! The whole Mercier house is sending healing vibes and prayers your way!

holy flippin I don't know what!! when you said disgusting, you weren't kidding-
OMG I almost feel sick to my stomach looking at the photos, those poor poor creatures!!
thank heavens you went and got them.

what is wrong with some people?? why don't they get it that "love" for an animal is not a feeling that you have, but a responsibility???
That the animal is not there to fill your needs, but the other way around. Sure if you get pleasure out of caring for them and having their companionship, that's ok but you have to actually take CARE of them, not just say that you care *about* them.

otherwise it's just empty meaningless words.

How can anyone look at the condition of those rats and think that they were "loved"?!?!

it just totally boggles the mind

well they are safe now!!! and a happy future awaits them.

MissGuardian said:
I just hope they won't get new rats and start breeding again..

I don't think they will. We went under fake names and fake emails, so they couldn't connect us to anything. They told us they tried breeding and "it didn't work". They were being threatened by their landlord and that's why they were dumping everyone in the first place. I wouldn't have taken ANY if I thought they would even consider breeding again. We also took all their cages (for free) except for the homemade one which was "falling apart" and was going to be thrown out.

Oh Wow!

You've been busy! Need some help?
Not sure what I can do but if you think of anything, just give me a call/text/msn.

Unfortunately I am at my cap for taking ratties in (I'm pretty sure Jamie would ACTUALLY kill me, plus - no more cages available), so fostering/adopting is out of the picture :( But any other away, just let me know!

*shakes head* They are so dirty...

That's so sad! Thank you guys so much for taking them in :bow: I cannot believe anyone would keep an animal in those conditions.

Holy crap...those poor rats. You two are awesome :hugs: I can't take anymore right now (Mom just got used to Hurley) but likely by the end of the summer I will be able to help if there are any boys still in need of homes.

So I was happy to read that they at least had 2 separate cages but just from your observations do you think any of the females could possibly be preggers?

I though the Frenchie Rescue was bad, but this from "breeders"?? Holy crud! This is madness.
I hope those poor SkinKids get better...I can't stand to see them like that :sad3:

Good luck guys... :hugs:

Back