rat won't eat, getting skinny :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. If anybody gets the 'short of a doctor', I'd just turn up outside the vets anyway... they should see any pet WHEN needed. Good luck.

Thank you everyone. This is really tough and your kindness and support mean a lot.

The vet thinks he has pneumonia, which surprises me since I didn't hear any congestion in his lungs. She injected him with fluids and he perked up immediately. I can't believe how severely dehydrated he was. She also gave us Baytrill and Vibramycin.

The prognosis is grim. The vet emphasized how small of a chance he has to make it through this. But we're going to try everything we can until the last second; Jack is a strong little guy and I won't give up hope.

Jack and Bean are the first rats I've ever owned. I think of myself as a responsible and loving pet owner, but in this case I made some mistakes that, had I known better, could have made the difference. I want to share my mistakes here with the forum so hopefully other new rat owners won't do the same things I did.

I did everything right -- giving him yogurt, keeping him warm, force-feeding him water and food. The problem is I didn't do it soon enough. I had read that rats go downhill fast but I didn't realize how fast. Within 36 hours he went from a little skinny and tired to horribly dehydrated and malnourished. And there were no other symptoms -- no sneezing, no coughing, no strange behavior. Just a loss of interest in food and sleeping more than usual. At the first sign of ANYTHING strange I should have taken him to the vet immediately. That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was that I didn't have a vet lined up. When I got the rats in May, I did my research online and found a vet nearby that specializes in rodents and got very high reviews. I thought that was enough. But now, when I need him, I find out his practice no longer exists -- I have to find another vet. Not only that, but I have to find a vet that is experienced with rats and can see me a weekend, immediately. Luckily I was able to find one, but that's only after NINE other vets turned me away. I should have actually spoken with a vet before I got the rats, and I should have had a back-up vet too.

Jack is resting here with me. He has fluids and antibiotics in him now. I know the odds are not in his favor, but I really hope he makes it through this.

very glad to hear he's still with you and it seems like you found a Keeper Vet on your first try...that in itself is wonderful.

Pneumonia is often called the silent killer, because its not obvious until they are really really sick. I am glad he got his shot and fluids, and now is a good oral med combo. Your job now is to keep him warm, fed and hydrated. I often syringe Ensure (strawberry is the fav here) into their mouths. They will stop drinking when they need to breathe. Just stop slowly syringing when they stop. He's too weak and sick to eat on his own but YOU syringing food/liquid into him is often taken because its easier for them, and they will do it for you.

((hugs))

You have been given alot of great advise here and it seems like you have found a vet that is on top of things, the only thing I will say as far as your little boy goes, is try to keep him warm and offer fluid, ensure or baby pablum made with cream, are best. As for you, you are a GREAT pet owner, you love, care and have compassion which are the 3 main factors for your little boys survival right now. The odds may not be in his favour but I have seen many of my rodents come back to life when the bridge was calling their name. There is hope, just don't torture yourself with the "what if's" and always remember this forum is one big family that was created to help out all our members......including you.
Chin up and keep us posted :hugs:

There's hope for your little guy. My Cookie got pneumonia at a young age, they put her under oxygen at the vet's and sent her home with antibiotics. She lived to 33 months. Good luck with your sweetie. :hugs:

I suggested things previously to tempt him to eat, keep him warm and you'll probably need to feed him and give him fluids every two or three hours including through the night.

Dont beat yourself over the what I should of or could of done.. You have done more for him than many pet owners do for even thier dogs.

keep postive thought going.. He will feel your strength. Keep with what the vet says and what our forum members say as they are top notch. As for hearing his lungs, that was a hard task to hear such little lungs. Missing it doesnt mean you failed in any way, you really needed a stethoscope for it.

I am sending warm thoughts and healing vibes..

Dee

:hugs: He is home with you and he knows you love and want to care for him. Sending warm, healing thoughts to both of you.

Thank you everyone.

Jack passed away last night as we were administering his second round of antibiotics.

I never knew a creature so small could have such a big impact on my life.

I am so so sorry, no words can even tell you how sorry I am. Many of the members carried the hurt you were feeling. Our first always seems to have the biggest impact and will remain in our memory forever. You loved Jack and he knew it, but he also knew, you have so much more love to share, so please please keep in mind, that every little rattie that leaves us, there are 10 more, screaming for a home with that same love you shared with yours.
RIP little Jack. :heart:

Back