rat won't eat, getting skinny :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizi

wasn't sure whether to put this in diet or behavior... anyway...

I have two rats, Jack and Bean. They were both born in April of 2009. So far they have been healthy and happy ratties, until this new year. Jack has stopped eating recently and seems to be getting skinner and skinner every day.

First, some background. We (my boyfriend & I, co-rat-parents) have always had a problem with Bean constantly stealing food from Jack. This has happened since around June of 2009. Even when Bean has plenty of food he feels the need to steal more from Jack. We have tried teaching Bean not to steal food, with little success. So, instead we have dealt with it in this way: After they've had some time to run around together outside their cage, we put Jack back in and let him eat until he is full. Then we put Bean in and let him eat while Jack runs around a little more outside his cage. Then we put them both back. We do this every day. Jack has always seemed plumb and healthy before, so I don't think this is contributing, but I wanted to give the full story in case it is a factor.

Jack and Bean have always seemed healthy and happy, with lots of love and attention. But ever since, uhh I'd say around the 7th of January, Jack seems to eat less and sleep more. He's starting to get skinny and lethargic. We try to hand feed him and he'll eat a little, but then he loses interest in the food. Other than getting skinny and being tired, he has no other symptoms. Bean still seems as plumb, hungry, and active as ever.

There hasn't been any change in their diet, schedule, or life in any way as far as I can tell. Does anyone know what's going on?? I'm starting to get really really worried.

I'm planning a vet visit but with no other symptoms I'm afraid they won't be much help. :( My rats are not even a year old and have had absolutely no prior health issues!! Please help :( :( :(

We've been watching him very carefully and I haven't seen any of those things. So that's a good thing.

I have him out with me right now and from what I can tell, all of his mannerisms are exactly the same as they were previously, except that he's sleeping more often.

Thanks for your response :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
check his teeth, smell in his mouth for a foul odor.
Thank you for responding.

His teeth are very orange. The top are like extremely orange and the bottoms are somewhat orange.
He has a wooden yellowy-orange house that he chews on, if that matters.

I couldn't smell any sort of odor.

Does this tell you anything? I hope it does...

I've been feeding him some fresh green beans and fresh corn today, he is eating it with enthusiasm but doesn't eat a lot of it.

(edited slightly for a more accurate description)

no smell is a good thing, the orange teeth are a good colour and a natural pigmentation. Sometimes teeth can grow crooked and can stop a rat from eating properly...If you say the teeth look normal then that's out.

Can you gently feel his abdomen for any lumps? Is he able to poop and pee like normal? Is he active or tired and lethargicA?

He is tired and lethargic. Sometimes he will run around for a short amount of time like normal but then he seems to get tired out.

I've noticed that he seems more lethargic when he's inside the cage than out, so for the past week I have tried to keep him out longer than normal.
I have felt his abdomen and he seems to have no lumps. Just very skinny :(

I have seen him peeing and pooping normally but less frequently I think.

I am worried sick...

Are his sides nipped in a bit like a greyhound? Does he breathe heavily even if there's no sounds? Does he hang his head down ramps and off ramps (not a comfortable hanging like most rats do), are his tail, feet, ears cooler than normal?

His sides are nipped in as you described, and his ears and tail (not feet) do feel cooler than Bean's.

I haven't noticed heavy breathing or head-hanging, but I'm not sure if I completely understand what you mean by the head-hanging. We have been watching him diligently so I think I'd have noticed heavier breathing but possibly not, so I'm going to look out for that today.

Another thing I thought of. He doesn't seem to open his eyes as wide as he usually does. He does open them but only about half to three-quarters of the way.

Right now he's munching on the fresh corn excitedly, so I'm glad about that, but still worried... let me emphasize, he is really skinny.

Eyes half closed can be not feeling well or pain.

Do you have any porridge at home? Baby cereal etc? Try mixing that up and see if he takes it readily. I often use my food processor and mush up a bunch of veggies or even fruit to make it more appetizing and healthier.

We have some oatmeal, would that be okay to try?

If not I'll go to the store and get some baby food or porridge.

Something to note -- just now I was messing with him a lot, turning him over and inspecting him and trying to open his mouth, to see if I could find any other symptoms or red-flags. He didn't like it and now he IS breathing fast, not really "heavier" as in heaving but definitely faster. He usually loves being handled so this reaction is unusual.

I would definitely try some baby food or oat meal for this little guy . Do you have a picture so we can better asses just how skinny he is? He may need to go to a vet

Here are pictures that I just took now. They are blurry and dark and I don't think they do a very good job of showing it.
If I can find a real camera I'll take better ones (took these with my phone).

He feels light and bony in my hands :sad3:

0129001636.jpg

0129001636a.jpg

0129001636b.jpg

0129001637.jpg

He needs to see a vet that is knowledgeable about rats.

Does he stretch out and pull his sides in?
Does he hang his head down over the edge of shelves or ramps or over the edge of his hammock?
Does he sound congested if you hold him up to your ear and listen to both sides of his chest?
Do a skin test on the back of his neck to test hydration ... when you gently pull up on the skin on the back of his neck and let go, does it quickly snap back into place?

If you can, try to get him to eat baby cereal mixed up with soy infant formula. (Both are available in the infant sections of grocery stores and pharmacies.)
My rats like the mixed grains and the oatmeal baby cereal.

SQ -- thank you for the tips. He is eating again now so I don't want to disturb him but as soon as he's done I'll check these things and get back to you.

I am planning to take him to the vet early this week. When I called them they claimed to be knowledgeable about rats but I have never taken a rat there before so I can't say for sure. I am going to keep calling around the area and see if I can find a vet farther away who specializes in exotic pets or rodents, wish me luck. Edited to add: When I bought the ratties, I found a vet nearby who supposedly specialized in rodents and got very good online reviews. Apparently his practice no longer exists, but maybe I can find him at another vet's office... (I live in Rochester, NY if anyone wants to suggest a vet to me)

Thank you everyone for helping me in this matter. I am so worried and I really appreciate your help.

Okay, I have done the tests. Here are the results.

Does he stretch out and pull his sides in?
No, I haven't seem him do this, but his sides are sunken-in.

Does he hang his head down over the edge of shelves or ramps or over the edge of his hammock?
No, I haven't seen this. He is hanging out in warm places and snuggling with Bean mostly. I think he is cold and trying to get warm.

Does he sound congested if you hold him up to your ear and listen to both sides of his chest?
No, he does not sound congested.

Do a skin test on the back of his neck to test hydration ... when you gently pull up on the skin on the back of his neck and let go, does it quickly snap back into place?
No, it somewhat slowly slides back into place, in comparison with Bean. Does this mean he is dehydrated? Should I try to force him to drink water?

A summery of his symptoms so far:
- Will eat fresh veggies and treats, but not as many as usual
- Not interested in his food, which is the same brand he's used for 5+ months
- Skinny
- Dehydrated (right?)
- Lethargic
- Cold
- Dislikes being handled/moved around (unusual) but does like to snuggle close to the body and sleep on my lap
- Fast breathing after being handled a lot
- Doesn't open his eyes all the way (1/2 to 3/4 of the way only)

do you have one of those things you can put in the microwave and stay hot? (i cant remember the name of the round ones, but i have a bean bag that works in the same principle). To give him the option to lie on if he is cold.

Does he still drink normally? it might be worth trying to get some rehydration fluid into him. it might make him feel a little bit better

"Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed."

ryelle said:
do you have one of those things you can put in the microwave and stay hot? (i cant remember the name of the round ones, but i have a bean bag that works in the same principle). To give him the option to lie on if he is cold.

Does he still drink normally? it might be worth trying to get some rehydration fluid into him. it might make him feel a little bit better

"Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed."

I don't have one of those things but I'll throw some towels in the dryer and warm them up for him.
I don't think he is drinking normally. I see him at the water feeder less often than usual. I am going to try this re-hydrating formula now.

Thank you for replying :heart:

Im with Ryelle on this one - he sounds dehydrated, getting the added sugar and electrolytes into him likely wouldnt be a bad idea....

if you can situate a Magicbag or some sort of microwavable warming device under a corner of the cage (so he can move onto it to stay warm but can still get off if he gets too hot) and then offer him moist, nutrient rich, tasty foods - like baby formula like SQ suggested.

I know that lilspaz asked about what his teeth looked like - but do they appear to be aligned properly? like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... tTeeth.jpg

he needs to see a vet, the lethargy could be associated with him being dehydrated and not having eaten enough in such a while - but it certainly sounds like there is something going on. poor boy

I've replaced his water with re hydrating formula and gotten him to drink a bit. I also have a bunch of towels in the dryer that I'm switching out as they lose their heat until I can get a better heating device.

His teeth do seem aligned properly, in comparing them with Bean's I found no difference except that his are slightly more orange (Bean's are more yellow).

I will definitely go to the store and get some baby formula. He does seem to like veggies and treats and things other than his normal food. It's so strange that he would suddenly start hating his food as its the same thing he's eaten happily for 5 or 6 months now. I'm going to go to a pet store and see if I can get him another type of food that he'll like better, along with the baby formula. Unfortunately the pet stores around here all carry rat food that doesn't seem very good for them but I guess that's better than him not eating at all...

Still calling around to try to find the best vet. I knew the rats would get sick one day, I thought I was prepared for this and had a vet lined up but apparently not :( I'm so frustrated and sad. Poor little Jack used to be so happy and active and curious, it's heartbreaking to see him like this...

Back