rat train '08-RIP precious rat train babes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is with the heaviest heart that I have to tell you all that Rollie, brother and cagemate to Mr. Bigg died today. We had just buried Mr. Bigg, Kevin and Kenny at my sister's home last weekend. Rollie had hip issues, no doubt from his battle with is weight. He also had some respiratory issues that were under control. He was fine this afternoon, he insisted on grooming me and grooming Mickey. I just found him dead in the cage, looked like he was sleeping when it took him. I miss him so much. Goodbye fatster.

I had to say a very sad goodbye to Hobbes today, who travelled all the way from NB to be here with me in Southern Ontario. What a wonderful boy he was. The most well-adjusted, social, level-minded intact boy I have met so far in my rat travels. It was a priviledge to spend the past year with him. My only wish, one I know so many other people hold for their ratties as well, is that wherever he is, he can finally feel what it's like to draw in a deep, full breath of fresh air into unscarred, clear lungs. I think that would be heaven for him. I will try to write a memorial later - he and I struggled for so long together against his horrid respiratory illness. It finally won.

Bambi has passed away as well. I think it was old age and it looked like the passed peacefully. I am so glad to of had Bambi with me, she was definitely a special, bossy little cutie. She was good for all of the other rats and she took over as alpha when Jazz passed away and kept the others in line. Bambi was definitely one of a kind.
hollyA9001012.jpg

Two Liverpool boys who went on the rat train to Rodentist in NY, have died. Clive died from liver problems last month and Caspian died unexpectedly Sept. 22.

Two more rat train boys have left me. Moose on July 17 and Forest on Sept 27. Both were himis, lovely sweeties.

Moose
moose.jpg

Forest

forest.jpg

i'm very sorry for all your losses, i have updated the list for you. they were wonderfully amazing rats, all the rat train babes.

SQ said:
Two Liverpool boys who went on the rat train to Rodentist in NY, have died. Clive died from liver problems last month and Caspian died unexpectedly Sept. 22.[/quoteof

On No....how sad.Caspian was one my foster boys....wasn't he???

You fostered both Clive and Caspian, Dahlas.
They were only a year old :(
So glad they had such a good life after such a horrible start.

SQ said:
You fostered both Clive and Caspian, Dahlas.
They were only a year old :(

Oh I didn't recognize Clives name...... :sad3: Those babies had such a rough start...I am so glad they got such great homes and got to know what it felt liked to be loved and cherished.

This thread is so sad. Were all these little furry people about the same age? Can someone pm me the thread as it was before my time and I would love the read the happy part of his story.
Sorry to everyone that has put to rest a "rat train" rattie. :heart: :heart:

it is becoming a sad thread with all the goodbyes we've been having to say, but the rescue effort and the joy these wonderful little souls gave us is something else. these rats came from a hoarding situation where they were being fed high fat diets, not getting out to play unless they were favorites, medical care was not being properly offered and the cages were often over crowded or use poorly so that even a large cage was too small for the number in there. the rats were all of various ages. some as young as only a few weeks to 3+ years. some had serious health issues, some of those issues sadly were not discovered until after the trip from moncton NB to their new homes in ontario and new york. others have been healthy as horses until just before their passing. each of them loved deeply and strongly even if not all of them knew how to express it the right way at the beginning.

i've been slowly gathering together threads that have the rat train babes in them, its a slow process, but there are some links there now. if you want to look up the original threads, try searching the canadain rat rescue '08. that should bring up a few results with peices of the story of this amazing rescue effort. its really quite stunning how many people, just normal rat loving people, not the spca or other organization, got together and made something this large happen. over 120 wonderful souls were rescued and found loving families during this time. that huge no matter how you cut it.

thank you lilspaz68. This reading material is sure to fill in that big hole I had with regards to the story. Makes a person feel more like they fit in when they can contribute to a thread.
Thanks for taking the time to look it up for me. :D

Back