Rat food, what do you feed your babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Karma wrote:
I finally got some oxbow off ebay. Everywhere else online that would ship to Canada the sipping cost was crazy! If you are an ebayer definitely give it a try!

What ebayer did you use Good Karma? The only one I was able to find that sold rat food was 4bluelightning and the 3lb bag of food was $8.67 but the shipping was $25.30 US Shocked

That is where i got it. The more bags you buy the shipping actually gets cheaper. Even though shipping is still high this is the cheapest shipping i could find. Many other places it was waaaaay more or they don't even ship to canada.

I have a few places, a vet clinic and pet store, ordering it for me but i needed something until they do their order.

Good Lord! I will never understand why the (#@$%^**%#@#((&#@! system makes it so hard to get something as SIMPLE as FOOD for our animals!

Why in the &#$%%&! can't a pet supplier stock foods like Oxbow and Teklad instead of trying to poison our babies off with trash like Kaytee?

As far as shipping prices go... what is the U.S.A.'s problem??? DUH... Canada BORDERS the United States! You would think, with their shipping costs, that Canada was on another planet. :evil:

If I'm missing any valid points... please let me know. :)

When items come over the border, the shipping costs increase.
I expect that when things are shipped from Canada to the USA, shipping costs also increase.
Shipping to another country, even a close one is more complicated than shipping within your country.

What major pet supply store is coming to Moncton?

im not sure, i think it may be something like a pet co. But its supposed to carry alot of foods for exotics. :) Yay! Hopefully it isnt a puppy mill supporting cargo store :evil: :x I really hope that they will carry something better than pets unlimited :twisted: I want to blow up pets unlimited. (get all the animals out of course) put the owner in there and blow her to high heavens! They treat their animals with such disgust. Pine Soiled to hell in the rat cages! How daare they! i cant even stand to go in.

Good Karma said:
I finally got some oxbow off ebay. Everywhere else online that would ship to Canada the sipping cost was crazy! If you are an ebayer definitely give it a try!

Was it the regal rat?

Well, I took the advice that my rat food wasn't good for my rats and I ordered some HT 2014 and HT 2018 lab blocks for my ratties. (The 2018 is for Brenna since she's only 2 months old.) I almost got the 2016 for Baby Girl and her wheel neurotics but I figure that the 2014 and some extra fruit would work fine since she's starting to get a little older. By the way, there's a sale on the Crafty Rat! 15% off!! I was quite excited! How long does a 15lb bag last for 5 rats? how about a 15lb bag for 1 rat? Brenna is going to feel so spoiled! :D :roll: Also, how can you be sure that, since Brenna and Willow live together, tat the different block-eaters don't eat each other's blocks?

**As I write this, Willow is sitting on the edge of the bed. She was watching me but now she's falling asleep standing up. I guess I'm pretty boring! :roll: **

I wouldn't know how much a small bag would last, I get the big bags.
But I wouldn't worry, if you put a handful of blocks in the cage, you can be sure they will all get theirs.

yeah, I dont like hagan. I find theere seed mixes arent as high quality as some of the other brands like living world. and they sell it at the dollerama....... :? So it must be cheap stuff

I wouldnt trust it.. its probubly old stock. I have been using the sunseed blocks, and they dont seem to be eating it, maybe its because i give them to much treats and veggies and fruits? And i have noticed boo has lost a little weight, willow is nice and fat, and boo is more dainty and long limbed. Im wondering if boo is having trouble with the water bottle. :?

The sunseed blocks are not good for rats. For one thing, the protein level is much too high.

A good quality lab block should be 80% of their diet with the other 20% being vegs and fruit.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get lab blocks from the Crafty Rat? i've been waiting a bit over a week and I need to know if I can keep waiting or if I need to buy more rat food. We are getting pretty low and I don't want to run out but I don't want to go out and buy more rat food if I don't need to!

Back